Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Upset with ebay purchase

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Upset with ebay purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-00, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a movie in the mail that is not widescreen, but the pic they had listed was. I didn't ask if it was widescreen before bidding and it didn't say. I just expected it to be. I would hate to pay shipping back to the guy. I haven't given feedback yet. What would you guys do?

ebay item - check the pic out I now see that it is also a dvd. shouldn't there be a disclaimers. I sent the guy an email.
Old 12-29-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know there was a non-widescreen version of Field of Dreams?

------------------
DIVA OF THE OTHER FORUM
Jadzia/Pikul
Old 12-29-00, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it was a laserdisc, but he posted a dvd pic as the cover art. They are similar, but the LD doesn't say widescreen and isn't widescreen.
Old 12-29-00, 04:48 PM
fab

Are you saying you got a movie that wasn't a DVD that was also not widescreen? The auction doesn't say whether it is a DVD or VHS or what. The picture does show a DVD, which one must assume is what the item is.. if you got something other than a DVD and were expecting a DVD, that's just wrong and perhaps grounds for negative feedback if the seller doesn't let you return it for a full refund. If it is a DVD and you are expecting a DVD but the DVD isn't widescreen, do the same.. but I am not aware of Field of Dreams not being widescreen.

I just read your other post.. and looked at the auction again and saw that it was in the laserdisc category. The seller really should not have used the DVD box to sell his product. He also should have mentioned in the item description that it is a Laserdisc and what aspect ratio it is. But based on the very little information he provided, you really should have asked him about the specs before you bid.

It's really ultimately up to you on what to do, but I'd be prepared for retaliation (from ANYONE) if you leave negative feedback.. even if he doesn't work with you.

--
fab

[This message has been edited by fab (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy is obviously new to ebay.....he needs to learn how to sell something correctly!!! He does not even list whether or not it is a laserdisc or a dvd....then he posts a picture of the dvd!!!

BigSierra....I would not even bother trying to return this to him!!! Treat it as a lesson learned and leave him neutral feedback for failing to accurately list this item. He actually followed through with the sale so I would not leave negative feedback!!! Neutral feedback should do the job and let others know to beware of this guy's descriptions on products.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-29-00, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
This guy is obviously new to ebay.....he needs to learn how to sell something correctly!!! He does not even list whether or not it is a laserdisc or a dvd....then he posts a picture of the dvd!!!

BigSierra....I would not even bother trying to return this to him!!! Treat it as a lesson learned and leave him neutral feedback for failing to accurately list this item. He actually followed through with the sale so I would not leave negative feedback!!! Neutral feedback should do the job and let others know to beware of this guy's descriptions on products.

<HR>

Your right he is new. I couldn't believe what he paid to ship the single disk. $6.25. I know I only paid him 3 bucks shipping. He sent it priority with every addon they could give him. Return receipt and insurance. I sent him an email.

It's not that important of a movie to me. That's why I got the LD(cheap) instead of the DVD. It is in the LD catagory. I should have noticed he had a dvd pictured before bidding.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on feedback at this point. I did get the merchandise. He paid a helluva lot for shipping. Maybe I should just educate him. Not exactly what I had planned, when I bid.

Old 12-30-00, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The item was listed under laserdisc, he puts a picture of a DVD, and he has a low feedback rating.
Shame on you for not emailing him before bidding to clarify. Lesson learned.

------------------
Now Playing
Old 12-30-00, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Low RG:
The item was listed under laserdisc, he puts a picture of a DVD, and he has a low feedback rating.
Shame on you for not emailing him before bidding to clarify. Lesson learned.

<HR>

c'mon,, he's been registered for a year now. as always. CAVEAT EMPTOR with anything on E-bay

Old 12-30-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The seller wrote me back and offered the difference between the shipping and the cost of the disk. I'm going to go ahead and give positive feedback. I like it when folk are willing to do what they can to make things right. In this situation, I'm just going to have him keep the difference. I also gave him a link to this thread, since I think there was some useful info.

Low RG - looking back, I know I should have emailed him. I didn't look at the pic close enough to realize that it was a dvd pictured. I'm just happy that not a lot of $$$$ were involved.
Old 12-30-00, 07:51 PM
Banned

there you go sierra! & congrats! nice to see that there still are REASONABLE people left!
Old 12-31-00, 02:59 PM

The one (and perhaps only) advantage for ebay for buyers is that sellers are desperate to avoid negative feedback.

So, if there is any concrete grounds for a return or financial compensation, it happens.

I've had this sort of thing happen several times (sometimes there is just not enough time for a clarifying email exchange), and every time the seller has made good.

Generally, even stupid sellers understand that it is much better to take a $5 or $10 loss than to get negative feedback.