Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CloseoutVideo.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CloseoutVideo.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-00, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post your CloseoutVideo.com horror stories here. I'll start:

This is interesting. I just checked my order status @ Yahoo!, then immediately sent an e-mail to Brad asking him about it. This is what it said on the order status screen:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Options Unit
Price Quantity Subtotal
Coupon offer (20% savings) 12.60
Note: This order has an unused credit of 12.60, which cannot be used on future orders.
Shipping 0.00
Tax 0.00
Subtotal for CloseoutVideo.com @ Yahoo: Absolute Lowest Priced Videos/DVDs in the world, Guaranteed! 0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$12.60 was the amount of the 20% coupon I used. Subtotal is $0.00?? No product listed. I have a feeling my order was cancelled, even though the site said they had quite a few in stock when I ordered. I'll see what Brad says when he responds to my mail.

UPDATE: Just got an e-mail back from Brad. I have to admit they were quick to respond. Too bad their inventory sucks! I don't remember the exact number, but there were, I believe around 20 copies in stock when I ordered (DEFINITELY at least 10). Here's Brad's response:

quote:
Unfortunately, the note posted on the order is as follows:
> 2000 Dec 4 00:41Sorry, Due to high demand, a few titles are no
longer
available. We apologize.: Modified by closeoutvideo

I guess this item was out of stock. Sorry about the confusion. Your
credit
card was never charged. I know it isn't much of a constallation but
this
here is a new coupon for another 20% off something else.

coupon code removed http://store.yahoo.com/closeoutentertainment

I will also put your name on the list of about 20 or so people that are
going to get advance email to the next DVD load we get in. This way
you
will have a few hours jump on the rest of the crowd assuming someone
doesn't
decide to go right to the message boards and post the free for all.

First of all, nice little dig at DVDTalk, eh? Second, this is the second order they cancelled of mine during the last week after the order went through, the site said the items were in stock, and the orders were cancelled. Funny thing, this morning, Brad told me all the Yahoo! orders had shipped yesterday. Even though he had my order number when he said that, he obviously failed to look at my order because he said nothing about it having been cancelled. I admit they're fast in responding to e-mails, but that does not make up at all for their site's inventory. Isn't the Yahoo! sites inventory real-time? I thought it was.

Thanks for the 20% off code, Brad. Real consolation, as you said. I don't really need it, tho. I have gotten 100% off both my orders placed with your site.

------------------
Teacher: "Whose calculator can tell me what 7x8 is?"
Student: "Low battery."
--"The Simpsons"
Old 12-06-00, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear you scott, i got the exact same email you did. Looks like a form letter complete with coupon code and all. I was also put at the 'top' of the list for next time before all the 'message board' people could get on.
Old 12-06-00, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by huzefa:
I hear you scott, i got the exact same email you did. Looks like a form letter complete with coupon code and all. I was also put at the 'top' of the list for next time before all the 'message board' people could get on.<HR>

I got directly from Brad after questioning why my order status looked the way it did at Yahoo! I didn't think it was a form letter. If it is, though, I'm even more upset now, because he couldn't reply to my e-mail personally? He had to send a form letter?

That place keeps getting better and better.

Old 12-06-00, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
What's upsetting to me is this $4 shipping charge. I try to place the largest orders I possibly can, rather than place a buncha smaller orders, to save on shipping.

I had one order filled with 6 out of 8 'in stock' titles; not bad, 66c each.

Second order had only 2 of 6 'in stock' titles filled; that's $2 per title, more than I care to spend.

The third order shipped 4 of 4 titles, but three of them were not the versions described on the web site (read: WRONG). So unless they get magnanimous and work something out, I stuck with $4 shipping for ONE title. Completely unacceptable....
Old 12-06-00, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
I actually ordered (and received) 5 of the Criterions. After all was said and done, my total savings was 62% off MSRP. Not too bad! I placed my order by telephone, however. That way, I verified with a living person that the titles I wanted were indeed the Criterion versions, and in stock. You may want to try that next time.

Sorry if I burst your negative bubble!
Old 12-06-00, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
quote:<HR>Originally posted by clappj:
I actually ordered (and received) 5 of the Criterions. After all was said and done, my total savings was 62% off MSRP. Not too bad! I placed my order by telephone, however. That way, I verified with a living person that the titles I wanted were indeed the Criterion versions, and in stock. You may want to try that next time.

Sorry if I burst your negative bubble!
<HR>

clappj:

I tried that too, as soon as the email came out and saw that they were listing The Killer CC and Hard Boiled CC. That way I found out that there were NONE in stock, the real-time inventory be dasmed. Also found out that High&Low was out of stock, again contrary to the RT inventory. Downside of this was that I was unable to get the 20% off as you had to go thru the Yahoo site to get the discount. Also, since it is such a small company, calling isn't really feasible for everyone as soon as a sale is announced since there would be next to no one to take the orders. There's a reason that, no matter what dept. I ask for, I always get bounced to Gina.

FWIW, I've defended Brad and Co. any number of times on these forums.....

Old 12-06-00, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by scott27:
I got directly from Brad after questioning why my order status looked the way it did at Yahoo! I didn't think it was a form letter. If it is, though, I'm even more upset now, because he couldn't reply to my e-mail personally? He had to send a form letter?

That place keeps getting better and better.

<HR>

I don't know if it is a form letter, but it did say exactly the same thing as you mentioned.

Are 'Gina K' and 'Brad K' related? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by huzefa (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-06-00, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by huzefa:
Are 'Gina K' and 'Brad K' related? Just curious.<HR>

I've gotten e-mails from both, signed Gina Kugler and Brad Kugler, respectively. I would imagine they're husband and wife.

I think their 3 and 5 years old children run their site and their inventory.

------------------
--"The Simpsons"
Old 12-06-00, 10:57 PM

Chalk another up for bad experience at closeoutvideo. Ordered "nightmare on elm street" collection when they had it for $18.00. Order went through fine with email confirmation and everything. A week later I was told that they didn't have any in stock and are not gonna get any more in. But you can still order it today on their web site, it's listed as in stock, but for $89.99!! Stay away from these losers.
Old 12-07-00, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruce, my first experience with them last week was also with NOES set.

------------------
--"The Simpsons"
Old 12-07-00, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jobronie:
no matter what dept. I ask for, I always get bounced to Gina.

<HR>

You hit that one on the nose!

Old 12-11-00, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well after trading many e-mails with Gina, my final order ended up being (1) copy each of Psycho and Tomorrow Never Dies for $27.14. Not exactly what I had hoped for when I placed my order but I don't feel I got ripped off. I offered quite a few suggestions to make the next sale better for us and closeoutvideo. The way the sale was conducted was obviously poor but Gina's customer service was outstanding. She gave me a credit of $2 for shipping since only 2 of 4 items arrived. I didn't get in on the first sale so I will give them another chance when the next one rolls around. As long as you understand it is a crap shoot when you order, then you can't get disappointed if the dice don't roll your way!
Old 12-11-00, 05:43 PM

I understand that it's frustrating when you order something and for whatever reason it falls through but I think Closeout Video needs to be given a little breathing room on this one. We wouldn't be ordering from them if they didn't have GREAT prices and to be honest we wouldn't have the trouble we do if people kept their coupons to themselves. I'm all for information sharing but Closeout Video has admitted they are a small online retailer. They don't have the staff or the resources to live up to the customer service of the multi-million dollar dot coms. I've had 2 orders botched from Closeout Video but it doesn't bother me a bit since the money I've saved while shopping there is substantial and important to me. If you've reached the point of absolute disgust then don't shop there. It'll make it easier for those of us that don't mind doing business with small and imperfect companies.
Old 12-13-00, 06:09 AM

I experienced same problematic situation regarding to the Elm Street set deal. I recieved the confirmation and expected to have my order within a week for the most. I emailed Closeoutvideo.com, and I recently recived an email(two week later) said that "my order could not be fulfilled". My philosophy is "ONCE IS ENOUGHT"
Old 12-13-00, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got in on the NOES box set deal as well. Got an order confirmation and used my Ecount account. Haven't recieved the set, a cancellation notice, OR credit back on my Ecount balance. (Just glad I didn't use my actual CC#)
Old 12-15-00, 12:01 AM

Dave, I also did not get a cancellation notice of any kind whatsoever on my NOES set. It wasn't until 1 week after I ordered that I got suspicious and called closeoutvideo. At which point I was told that I was SOL. Good luck, but if you haven't received anything by now, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 12-15-00, 05:00 PM

This is a copy from the other thread by I thought I should post it here to:

Hey guys,

I want to personally apologize for some of the shoddy service. We have been hit with the Xmas Internet rush. We normally dealt with 400 - 700 orders per week. The previous 2 and a half weeks we have been averaging about 2000 orders per week! You can imagine the strain on the organization. We are running about 2-3 days from the time the order is placed to the time it ships

We have had to hire temps to help us with the crush (unfortunately, the untrained temps are contributing to the delays and mistakes).

We are here working 15 hours/day to get all the orders out. My wife (Gina) and I hardly see our kids anymore as it all comes down to the owners to make it happen (which it should). I fear my 2 year old will be driving by the next time I see him and my 4 year old daughter will be getting married.

Anyhow, I can assure you the following: 1) all orders that can ship will be gotten out. 2) any mistakes will be corrected immediately. Whatever mess we make we will definitely clean up!

My advice; if it positively, absolutely has to be there by Christmas, GO TO THE MALL(and I am the last one to say that as I hate malls)! I wouldn't trust any online busines or mail order catalog this close to the wire.

Again, sorry and I hope you understand.

Brad
Old 12-15-00, 07:30 PM

Brad, does this mean that I'll be getting my NOES box set that I placed an order for and went through successfully and that still shows up on your web site as being in stock?? Of course the price now is $89.99, not the original $18 when I placed my order.
Old 12-15-00, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK with me if they cancelled... only problem is that they still have my money.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bruce wayne:
Dave, I also did not get a cancellation notice of any kind whatsoever on my NOES set. It wasn't until 1 week after I ordered that I got suspicious and called closeoutvideo. At which point I was told that I was SOL. Good luck, but if you haven't received anything by now, I wouldn't hold my breath.
<HR>