Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com returns+coupons: BEWARE

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com returns+coupons: BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-00, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be a lot of horror stories with Buy.com lately. Add mine to the list:

Using a $30 off $150 coupon a week before the PS2 came out, I ordered several PS2 items (DVD rack, controller, some games). Most of it shipped, at varying intervals over the next several weeks (NOT in time for my PS2, but what the hell.) All that was left was a wireless controller (Freedom Shock 2) and the preordered Final Fantasy 9.

The US release date for FF9 came and went, and no shipping notice. I called every day, getting every story from "It's already shipped" to "it's backordered". If I cancelled it, I was told, the coupon would be voided; I would have to wait until it arrived and return the product at my expense.

So a week after release, with CS reps telling me it hadn't shipped and wouldn't any time soon, I went to my local Warehouse and bought a copy so I could play it over Thanksgiving break. A week and a half later, the product arrived from Buy.com, and I closed it up and shipped it back.

So today I get a notice: they've credited my account for $10.58. It's a $40 game. That's right, the coupon was removed, despite the fact that they shipped a preordered game two weeks late, and told me on the phone they wouldn't drop the total. I called, and was basically told "tough !@#$". I could have returned it to the Warehouse with my receipt or even sold it used for more than that, especially after shipping!

What's more, I've still heard neither hide nor hair of that controller, and they can give me no ETA.

All I can think to do (aside from keep calling every minute of every day 'till the rest is returned) is try to add items to my order to get it back over the coupon total. Maybe then I can cancel the controller and end the perpetual backorder that time forgot. Does anyone know if they'll do this?

This episode, combined with their ever-decreasing inventory (I couldn't find 4 out of 5 gifts I wanted to buy for folks there), has spelled my final shopping experience at buy.com. It's been fun, guys - well, not really - but Amazon here I come.
Old 12-07-00, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could have returned it to the Warehouse with my receipt.

That's what you should of done. Stores have no problem with sealed items with receipt.

Returning items online is a risky thing to do.
Old 12-07-00, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, canceling items from buy.com is a bad ideal. Often your request to cancel is denied, and they ship your items.
Old 12-07-00, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by MWoody:
A week and a half later, the product arrived from Buy.com, and I closed it up and shipped it back.<HR>

Sorry they jerked you around on the shipping dates, but you should have called them before sending the game back. I would have assumed that they'd cancel the coupon - after all, you no longer met its requirements.

I would have taken it back to the Warehouse also (guilt-free).
Old 12-07-00, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did call them before I shipped it back; several times, in fact. I was told that cancelling would void the coupon, but returning would not.

The funny thing is, over a $30 quibble, they've permanently lost me as a customer. I've spent hundreds before, and would have probably continued to spend hundreds more.

[This message has been edited by MWoody (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old 12-07-00, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too ran into the same problem like you, but this time it was really unfair. I used a 20 off 100 coupon, and ordered in the order, the EVIL DEAD 2 LT ED tin. Well I never recived it, apperently it got lost in the mail. They said no problem we will replace it for you. But 2 month later nothing. I called and the CSR person told me they dont know when it will come out. So I said can I cancel it and ask for a refund. He said no problem. and even offered a 10 off on my next order. So I placed a pre-order with him.

guess what, I gotten a credit for 2.99!!! Thats because they counted the 20 coupon!!! I never recived it, so its the USPS fault for losing it, yet I am getting the blame here? I called and like you recived a tough luck response.

And to top it all off, when the pre-order arrived, I NEVER recieved the 10 dollar off!!!! I called,and a CSR told me my courtesy credit for 10.00 was DENIED by the credit department! what the hell??!!!

So the message here seems to be, NEVER EVER return an item that you had a coupon applied. You will LOSE that coupon discount! And NEVER believe those courtesy credits either!

Also Mwoody, once an order is sent, you CANT ADD anything to bring that order up to its original price. They can only place a new order, they cant ADD anything to a previous order. Meaning you lost that 30 off for returning an item. ):

[This message has been edited by salamander2 (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old 12-08-00, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you placed your order with a credit card, you should dispute the contested portion of the charges. Now, I'm not convinced that you'd win, but you might. The problem isn't truly your return; it's Buy's failure to ship its product with any semblance of timeliness.