Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Adios Amazon, DVDempire, Express.com. Hello B&M!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Adios Amazon, DVDempire, Express.com. Hello B&M!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-00, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
When to Ciruit City today..went on a shopping spree for the new dvd releases.

$15 bucks a piece. Not $20.99.

Damn..I spent a hell of a good time on those internet stores..but what's the point now?

Well okay..they offer titles that are hard to find that B&M don't have...but if they did have..it will be a few bucks more.

But as far as new releases..this is the way to go. For a short amount of period..I payed $20 for dvds at these online stores..but it's just tastes so good for $14-15.

Adios online.

-sonic

Old 12-05-00, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops..forgot something.

Never thought I go back to retail.

But what's important I find is that I get the title the same very day..and in the condition that I want it..without flaws..and without sending it back if it's scratched or broken hub and waiting and spending on shipping.

-sonic<small>

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-05-00, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that some time ago, except for obscure/older titles and then its either on-line or take a chance Borders may have it. I also find if I buy a title at a B&M I usually watch it soon after buying it but with on-line purchases they usually pile up. I think I have only about 50-60 unwatched titles.
Old 12-05-00, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by ernestrp:
I found that some time ago, except for obscure/older titles and then its either on-line or take a chance Borders may have it. I also find if I buy a title at a B&M I usually watch it soon after buying it but with on-line purchases they usually pile up. I think I have only about 50-60 unwatched titles. <HR>

Yeah. My first B&M purchases was for the Patriot and MI:2 . $11.99 plus tax...

Hop on those release date offers and dot com doesn't look too rosy (w/ the exception of the GCs, webcerts etc etc
Old 12-06-00, 12:05 AM

That's been my point exactly. The B&M's have surpassed the Online Retailers for New Releases like "Gone in 60 Seconds" for only $14.99

The great coupon grab-bag of last few years is over. It's DECEMBER and there is nothing going on online. Nobody mentions or shops at BigStar, DVD EXpress anymore. Reel.com is gone. Amazon rarely has a coupon. Buy.com makes you purchase over $100 of stuff just to get $15 off.

Luckily I have most of the classics on dvd already due to the great prices online form the past 2 years. I feel bad for someone just getting into DVD now and wanting to purchase the classics. Won't be easy to do.

But at least you can pick up the New Releases pretty cheap!

videoking
Old 12-06-00, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder if the online retailers can survive another christmas. they are already not able to compete on price and most do not even get the dvd's to you ontime. with no deals online left I well be doing more B&M shopping . It sure was fun while it lasted.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 12-06-00, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agreed. I'm only going to the online guys if I have a GC or see some other complelling promotion. Their SRPs are just too high and once you add in shipping it gets ridiculous. B&Ms for new releases for me.
Old 12-06-00, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, it's just that for me, buying online meant not paying taxes, which on a big order (or for high ticket items) would mean a lot of savings, compared to shipping. Brazil criterion is a good example.
Old 12-06-00, 01:06 PM

B&M against Internet

Sales tax (add 7.75 %) - never have to pay it online

Transportation (add $1) - my online package and return is always deliverd to me or picked up

Convenience (add $1) I do not have to look for it, can shop anytime, and can place my order as soon as it is listed as a preorder. If it is a limited edition I do not have to hurry to the store to buy it.

Selection (add $1) Selection in B&M stinks. You can usually find anything available online in seconds.

Rebate (add 4%) My Amazon Nextcard gives me 6% "Rewards" credits for each purchase from Amazon and 2% on every other purchase made elsewhere.

Add $5 to my B&M purchases? No thank you. Have a ball dodging people and cars, I will stay online for my shopping.
Old 12-06-00, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Have a ball dodging people and cars<HR>

Only if you're fat you will run into this problem okay?

P.S: Going out..getting the dvd movie in my hands on release date is the pleasure..amazon ships late. Second, what if your order came..destroyed? More waiting.

Second, you have fun on the other hand going out with your love one.

Third, be thankful Amazon is still up, otherwise you better kiss you dvd collection buying good-bye!!!

-sonic
Old 12-06-00, 03:27 PM

I buy mainly new releases so currently I'm not preordering online. I picked up "Gone in 60 Seconds" at Best Buy for $16.15 including tax. If I had ordered it at Amazon I would have paid $23.97 when you add in the shipping. It wasn't that much inconvenience to have to pick it up & save $7.82. Also getting it on the release date was really great also. I have a new release order at Amazon that I used a GC on that was released yesterday that hasn't even shipped yet. I don't mind the inconvenience of going into a store when I can save $7 to $9 dollars a title. Even the Amazon Nextcard doesn't look that appealing. 6% on $23.97 isn't enough to entice me to order online and what until a week after release date to receive the DVD.
Old 12-06-00, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The question that remains is..

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THOSE ONLINES STORES...CLOSES DOWN, ON YOUUUUUuuuu!!!

-Hulk Hogan
Old 12-06-00, 03:46 PM

You can take $5 off any Amazon order no hastle, which makes it $18.97 or a difference of just $2.80. For delivery to my door, I'd take that convience. I don't have to drive on over to whatever store, wait in line, etc.. Sadly, internet deals are virtually dead, but I still think the prices online are just as good as B and M stores when you consider the convience.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by marineDVD:
I buy mainly new releases so currently I'm not preordering online. I picked up "Gone in 60 Seconds" at Best Buy for $16.15 including tax. If I had ordered it at Amazon I would have paid $23.97 when you add in the shipping. It wasn't that much inconvenience to have to pick it up & save $7.82. Also getting it on the release date was really great also. I have a new release order at Amazon that I used a GC on that was released yesterday that hasn't even shipped yet. I don't mind the inconvenience of going into a store when I can save $7 to $9 dollars a title. Even the Amazon Nextcard doesn't look that appealing. 6% on $23.97 isn't enough to entice me to order online and what until a week after release date to receive the DVD.<HR>

------------------
Nutiket www.gunaxin.com
Nutiket's DVD's
Old 12-06-00, 04:05 PM

I have never paid more than a dollar per item in shipping charges and HATE shopping. My wife and I have been married for eighteen years. For all of them and for all my years of dating, shopping in stores over the Christmas season was never on a list of fun things to do.

I did not buy MI2 or Gladiator or Gone in 60 Seconds. Of the 30 preorders now pending at Amazon, only two or three would ever make it to the shelves at Circuit City and the popular ones I checked just now were discounted to $17.99 and $19.79 respectively. Perhaps you will find Princess Mononoke for $10 at your B&M on the 19th, but I will gladly forgo the infinite pleasure of dashing out to the store on that day to watching it at home when it comes.

[This message has been edited by DFC-2 (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-06-00, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>My wife and I have been married for eighteen years.<HR>

WOW. I congratulate you..I hope my marriage will be that strong cause I love my wife forever.

I LOVE shopping..perhaps I am one of the few males?

The question I have for you is..what will you do when Amazon dies? After all..we all know it's coming sooner or later.

?
Old 12-06-00, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sonic:
The question that remains is..

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THOSE ONLINES STORES...CLOSES DOWN, ON YOUUUUUuuuu!!!

-Hulk Hogan
<HR>

If Amazon or Buy.com ever goes down, I'll order from any one of these places:

Bestbuy.com
Walmart.com
Circuitcity.com

I already shop at Bestbuy.com 'cuz who wants to go there when u can get it delivered at the same price.

muhahahhaa
Bestbuy.com kicks ass for people who don't live in a Bestbuy area, 'cuz then they don't even have to pay sales tax, and they get the great low prices.

[This message has been edited by huzefa (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-06-00, 06:33 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sonic:
The question I have for you is..what will you do when Amazon dies? After all..we all know it's coming sooner or later.

?
<HR>

I will cross that bridge when and if it comes. As I also have stock in Amazon ,
changing stores will be the least of my problems. I can't imagine that the economies of online purchasing and distribution will lose out in the long run, but there are nearby Walmarts and Circuit City stores if it turns out that way.

Old 12-06-00, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No doubt about it, new releases are cheaper at the B & Ms.

Also, there is more that can go wrong online (late, lost, damaged, wrong item, etc.). Isn't it nice to leave a store with a couple of new releases you bought for cheap? Especially with a price match--there's something cool about forcing one retailer to sell you an item at another store's price.

"Enjoy the sauce."

DVDs don't grow on trees: http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=GG

[This message has been edited by Kromax (edited December 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kromax (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-07-00, 04:26 AM

Here is a question for you newbie B&M guys. What are you going to do when these B&M end-of-year deals stop? They have overhead that the click stores don't and are only doing this because they have lost ground to the click stores over the last few years. If you think heavy discounts and price comparisons don't hurt, think back to all the click stores that have died. It will not last forever.
Old 12-07-00, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DFC-2:
Here is a question for you newbie B&M guys. What are you going to do when these B&M end-of-year deals stop? They have overhead that the click stores don't and are only doing this because they have lost ground to the click stores over the last few years. If you think heavy discounts and price comparisons don't hurt, think back to all the click stores that have died. It will not last forever.<HR>

Your insight might prove correct, but in the interim should we not seek the best price, whether online or B & M? As someone pointed out earlier, not all of the best deals are at the B & Ms.

If the B & M bargains do stop at year's end, I will click for all my purchases, including new releases.

------------------

"Enjoy the sauce."

My modest collection:http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=GG
Old 12-07-00, 08:59 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kromax:
Your insight might prove correct, but in the interim should we not seek the best price, whether online or B & M?
<HR>

I guess, for me at least, it goes back to the question of shopping. Bargain hunting can be a mania in itself, and you have to really enjoy the process, which I don't. I used to shop around the click stores (using dvdpricesearch among other methods), but the variance in quality of documentation, order checking, and order fulfillment lessened my enthusiasm.

I now own almost all the DVDs that have been released that I wanted to buy. With preorders, I get some discount advantages and shopping at one store reduces or eliminates the shipping charges because I group the orders as ship when complete by month (e.g. 7 for January, 3 each right now for Feb., March, and April). If I don't already have the orders in place and the B&M doesn't have it or doesn't give me at least a $7 advantage, I will pay more or miss out on the click deals.

Amazon does not have the lowest prices, but they have an extremely responsive customer service department, and I do not have to mess with shopping around. As it is, glitches at Amazon that I complained about netted free shipping and/or other credits that made shopping with them an even better deal.

Waiting for new releases after the release date doesn't bother me at all. No one is looking over my shoulder or bugging me about it and I barely keep up with watching all the DVDs I have now. Hunting for the lowest price may matter more for a car or some other large ticket item, but it is more of a hassle than it is worth to me to split orders by shopping around for the best price by item.

[This message has been edited by DFC-2 (edited December 07, 2000).]
Old 12-07-00, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If that's the case..that B&M won't offer more deals near the end of the year..then I gotta go back to pimping bro. And pimping ain't easy...I mean these who*** don't wanna work man.

-Godfather (I'm still Eveeval. Don't let my uncensored look fool you..I'm very evevaal. Not the diet coke of eveeeval. Ok?)

[This message has been edited by sonic (edited December 07, 2000).]