Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com raises prices (news article)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com raises prices (news article)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-00, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
I think this goes better here than, say, the Bargains Forum, but it applies to both.

Interesting article about Buy.com slowly raising its prices to reduce its losses. I like the analogy about the boiling frog.

E-tailer Buy.com ups prices
Old 11-28-00, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
just like Amazon. internet sites are slowly creeping up in price. you can only loose so much money for so long before you have to close up shop.

------------------
Stand up, turn and face me! Believe what you believe. Don't just stand there suffering, talking about your freedom.
Old 11-28-00, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and Best Buy is looking better all the time.
Old 11-28-00, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Bestbuy.com is fine for those of you who can place an order.

Once again, after ordering 3 DVDs during the sale last week I got a cancelation message. No reason or anything. Nothing wrong with my credit, proper shipping address, they just decided to cancel. Customer service promises to resolve it and call me back. Yeah, sure. What a joke.
Old 11-28-00, 01:29 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Eric F:
Bestbuy.com is fine for those of you who can place an order.

Once again, after ordering 3 DVDs during the sale last week I got a cancelation message. No reason or anything. Nothing wrong with my credit, proper shipping address, they just decided to cancel. Customer service promises to resolve it and call me back. Yeah, sure. What a joke.
<HR>

They're trying to make their site as good an experience as actually being in the store. I'd say they've almost succeeded.
Old 11-28-00, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the problem is the break even point will be 20% off which when you add in shipping means full msrp. so far they have tried 50% off at online stores- then 40% off -now 30% off and they are still bleeding money. it is looking like online sales will become a niche like the mail order or catalog companies. only those people who do not mind paying more than a B&M store because they are unable or unwilling to go to the B&M store will buy from them. I find going to the UPS office the same or worse than B&M stores. I still do not know how the UPS driver can get past me to slip a note saying i am not in when i was

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited November 28, 2000).]
Old 11-28-00, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I see the Future of Online Comerce as Follows.

The Big Chains like Media Play, and Wal Mart, Will have a Place on the web where you can order and pay for your stuff, Shipped from the closest store...

These Exclusives are comepeting to hard with B&M's to survive and if Sales tax ever becomes an issue. Crash.

------------------
Vist me on the Web
My Humble Collection
Smilies
Palm Beach Pokey
Old 11-28-00, 11:26 AM

What you have to keep in mind also is that if places like Best Buy do in fact put all pure Etailers out of business (not likely), then all of these great deals that we are taking advantage of offline will disappear too. It used to be that stores only competed with the big chain stores in the area. With the Etailers gone, competition would get a lot less vigorous.
Old 11-28-00, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if etailers going under will bring prices up. Certainly Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and a few others seem to be in the fray together on these new DVD releases. It is certain that they aren't all gonna go out of business.

Here's the problem with B&Ms, though. You get great prices on a very few items. The rest of their prices aren't good (and are often sucky). And a B&M's selection will always pale compared to someone like Amazon.com. So, alright, I can get Gladiator for $14.99 from Best Buy, or elsewhere, but I'm gonna have to pay $21.99 for Planes Trains and Autos. That sucks. Not only that, you are not going to see $14.99 for very long.

Lastly, this all just makes clubs like Columbia House all that much of a better deal.

Nope, etailers will stick around and so will B&Ms. The prices will level out. But, ultimately, no one place may serve the bargain shopper as etailers have in the past.

-Beebs