Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

After all this time, Buy.com finally gets smart about packaging.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

After all this time, Buy.com finally gets smart about packaging.

Old 11-24-00, 03:15 PM

Today I was baffled yet pleased when I received a DVD from Buy.com in a DVD "1/4 pk" mailer. It was sized precisely for one DVD, had extended edges for structural integrity, and a pull tab like many book shippers use. Yippee! No more Peanuts! Fits in my mailbox and doesn't sit in front of the door like an invitation.

It's about time.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 11-24-00, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still say Amazon has the best packaging, those people just go absolutely nuts with the amount of cardboard, plastic, bubble wrap, and what not!
Old 11-24-00, 04:12 PM

Bad News !

I find that the closer the DVD fits the packaging, the more likely I will have to return it due to "floaters" (ie DVDs that have come loose from the hub and bang around in the case, scratching the surface).

I have always found Buy.com to have the best DVD shipping packaging, since the DVD is cushioned by all the packing material around it. I have only had one floater from buy.com, and in that case, a lazy shipping clerk put virtually no material in the box around the DVD.

When I receive DVDs in form fitting boxes where the DVD is flush against the side of the box, the DVD is almost always a floater.

And I often get floaters from 800.com, because load their shipping boxes by putting the objects flush against the side of the box, and then fill with a one piece foam piece which never fits right, allowing the DVD to bounce around. BN does the same thing with box sets.

[This message has been edited by HepDude (edited November 24, 2000).]
Old 11-24-00, 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HepDude:
Bad News !

I find that the closer the DVD fits the packaging, the more likely I will have to return it due to "floaters" (ie DVDs that have come loose from the hub and bang around in the case, scratching the surface).

[This message has been edited by HepDude (edited November 24, 2000).]

I guess it's each to his own once again since most of my floaters have come from Buy.com! They frequently underpack the peanuts, leaving you with a rattling mess. On the other hand, I have had floaters from everyone I have purchased from online. I'm personally glad to have the new packs and will take my chances...as I do with every other online store.

Amazon does have good packaging...and, of course, you pay for it. Once again, each to his own.
Old 11-24-00, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Hal2000:

Amazon does have good packaging...and, of course, you pay for it. Once again, each to his own.

What do you mean? Amazon has the same shipping charges that Buy.com has, like $2.98 for Amazon and $2.95 for Buy.com for 1 dvd US standard.
Old 11-24-00, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll miss those big peanut-filled boxes which during free shipping weekends always made me confused how Buy could afford it. Those boxes always kept my precious DVDs safe....and I liked them better than the single-sized boxes.
Old 11-25-00, 02:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by huzefa:
What do you mean? Amazon has the same shipping charges that Buy.com has, like $2.98 for Amazon and $2.95 for Buy.com for 1 dvd US standard.

What shipping rates are and how they are built into product pricing are two very different things.
Old 11-25-00, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a dvd from buy.com on Tuesday in the smaller envelope. On Friday I got 2 in the big boxes again. Personally I prefer the smaller packages, but my wife uses the boxes for crafts in her kindergarten class (she's the teacher,guys),so they're put to a use at least.

[This message has been edited by bdots48 (edited November 25, 2000).]
Old 11-25-00, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by HepDude:
I find that the closer the DVD fits the packaging, the more likely I will have to return it due to "floaters"

I've never had any problems playing scuffed-up discs. I mean, I hate the fact that the disc is scuffed, but it doesn't seem to affect playback, right?

------------------
My mostly HORROR dvd collection
Old 11-25-00, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you sure that "floaters" are due to shipping? I've only received a few discs that were loose in the packaging. When looking around B&M stores, I will often find floaters (just shake the box as little and you can hear the disc rattling around inside of it -- I always check before I buy). I'd say that it's more likely that the disc wasn't properly seated on the hub during packaging.
Old 11-25-00, 10:41 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been getting all my Amazon DVDs lately in padded envelopes. I don't think that packaging is so great.
Old 11-27-00, 02:25 PM

I dont know why you all have such bad luck, the only floater ive gotten was from CH and it was in a pack of seven that i got... weird, huh? Also, i ordered Titan A.E. from 800.com, and it came packaged in a little envelope with the popcorn and it was fine...

------------------
What good's a reward if you ain't around to use it?

-Han Solo, Star Wars Episode IV
Old 11-27-00, 09:31 PM

I guess I don't understand what the Buy.com packaging has to do with your feces.