Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My MI2 order at Amazon says "1 on hand"??!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My MI2 order at Amazon says "1 on hand"??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-00, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No biggie and we all know that Amazon being Amazon it won’t ship until the day after release but interesting all the same.
Old 10-24-00, 07:42 PM
Banned

Yes...but I will have mine next friday due to buying at buy.com.

Man, I love them

------------------
- There is no spoon -
Old 10-25-00, 03:09 AM

i got my big october 24th order today of american beauty u 571 and patriot. this is the first time i've gotten anything on time with amazon. i'm especially surprised because the order only shipped a day ago. either the world's getting smaller or...
actually that's probably it
Old 10-25-00, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by davidave:
i got my big october 24th order today of american beauty u 571 and patriot. this is the first time i've gotten anything on time with amazon. i'm especially surprised because the order only shipped a day ago. either the world's getting smaller or...
actually that's probably it
<HR>

Interesting. I ordered all 3 of these titles from Amazon, but I ordered them separetly and only U-571 has shipped. Last week I got the Bond Set on the release date though I didn't get a shipping confirmation till Tuesday afternoon

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 10-25-00, 03:12 PM

Mine says this too on amazon:
1 of: Mission Impossible 2 [DVD]
By: John Woo(Director), et al
1 on hand $17.99

Maybe I will see it a lot sooner than release date?
Old 10-25-00, 03:27 PM

thetaz,

Amazon has enough problems without getting
their fanny spanked for releasing DVD's before the gods of Hollywood say 'it is time'.

You'll see it on Nov. 10 or 11. Unless you've
bought alot from them. Then you'll get it on
Nov. 16 or 17. Sorry Bezos, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-26-00, 09:21 AM

jonathan, I'm a long time fan of the TV series but I really disliked the first MI movie so I didn't bother to see the second. How does MI2 compare to its predecessor? Is it better than Space Precinct? (j/k)
Old 10-26-00, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Miser:
jonathan, I'm a long time fan of the TV series but I really disliked the first MI movie so I didn't bother to see the second. How does MI2 compare to its predecessor? Is it better than Space Precinct? (j/k)<HR>

The second film differs from the first in that it is much more action based. Though the first part of the movie is fairly action free, the movie as a whole is action as opposed to the suspense version the first one was.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 10-26-00, 02:10 PM

I had an order this summer that included some June 6 items and some for later. I had elected to not ship items until all were ready.

Some time before the 6th I noticed the "1 on hand" message, as well as the opportunity to change shipping option to one that read "ship all on hand items, may incur extra shipping charge". What the hell, I figured, I'll give it a shot.

Well, it didn't work. They held the on hand item until the 6th and charged me extra to split ship, just as you would imagine. I complained since the text technically said the item would be shipped so they shipped them *all* for free (i.e. I got them cheaper even than my original order).

Amazon is OK in my book.
Old 10-26-00, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Miser, I too loved the TV series especially the pre-Peter Graves episodes and all of the ones with Martin Landau (I thought Leonard Nimoy was just cast as a pale copy of Marty). I really liked the first movie as I thought it had some of the same tone as the TV show, especially the opening scene, the title sequence and that stupid van they always used to use, which De Palma incorporated as a nod to the original show. The second one passes the time effeciently enough, but is really too much of a Tom Cruise trying to be James Bond type picture instead of the more ensemble feel that the first movie and the TV show had. It does however have some awesome motorcycle stuntwork at the end which is one of the reasons I’m picking it up. I do have a soft spot for big, dumb summer movies so my critical capacities regarding plot, acting etc go out of the window as long as it‘s loud and expensive.

<small>No, it’s not better than Space Precinct</small>

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 10-26-00, 04:01 PM

jonathan, I agree that the first few seasons are definitely among the best of the series. Martin Landau and Barbara Bain are both terrific as Rollin Hand and Cinnamon Carter and, you're right, the series just wasn't the same after they left. It's very unfortunate that Steven Hill as Dan Briggs in the first season gets completely overshadowed by Peter Graves (Jim Phelps) later on. When I mention that Graves wasn't even in the first season, most people either give me a blank stare or say "You're kidding, right?" Yet I'd be hard pressed to find a bad episode among Hill's work.

I guess I won't be ordering MI2 as what you say about it tells me that I definitely won't like it. That's the very thing that I hated about the first movie; it was too much like James Bond instead of like Mission: Impossible. I also avoided the Avengers and Wild Wild West movies like the plague as I could tell from the trailers that they were nothing like the originals. For me, a movie based on a TV show must capture the essence of the original show and, unfortunately, very few manage to do it. I've heard that Hollywood wants to do a Prisoner movie. God only knows what abomination that will turn into.
Old 10-26-00, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree Stephen Hill was great, it’s a shame those episodes are so rarely shown as they’re among the best of the whole series, tough and not too formularised.

Couple of interesting factoids which you probably know - Hill got canned from the show because as an orthodox Jew he insisted on having Friday off which seriously messed with the shooting schedule, so he had to go - a real shame as I can’t help but think he would have had a very respectable career instead of vanishing into relative obscurity. Also when the show itself was threatened with cancellation because of it’s (then) high production costs, Lucille Ball herself went mano é mano with the network and made sure they realised that scrapping the show would have severe repercussions on her continued participation in productions for them (Desilu, producers of Mission: Impossible was Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball’s company).

Love to see box sets of this show on DVD

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 11-26-00, 10:58 PM

I preordered MI 2 from Amazon also. According to the order status my copy of MI 2 was finally shipped via "Ship Carrier" on 11/13 and the estimated arrival date was 11/16 - 11/22.

As of 11/26, it still has not arrived. This is getting ridiculous. Anybody else still waiting?
Old 11-26-00, 11:36 PM

Well, MI:2 was waiting for X-Men and Gladiator, all supposedly shipped via USPS Priority (free upgrade) on Monday...still not here. I expect it tomorrow.

Andrew
Old 11-27-00, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts
Still haven't got my MI:2 order yet from Amazon. My Gladiator finally shipped today. Still no MI:2

------------------
Stand up, turn and face me! Believe what you believe. Don't just stand there suffering, talking about your freedom.
Old 11-27-00, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My BotRK:LE has been saying this for a week without shipping.

OOPS, editing because it has shipped. HOWEVER< for the second time in a row, NO SHIPPING NOTICE.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited November 27, 2000).]