Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

problems with buy.com

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

problems with buy.com

Old 11-12-00, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recentley I have been having some problems with buy.com and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. Usually when I order my pre-orders I will receive them the Monday before there release date. But, latley they haven't been comiming until Friday or Saturday after the release date. Sometimes they don't come until the following week. Is this happening to anyone else. I would really hate to find another supplier.
Old 11-12-00, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 836 Likes on 515 Posts
No problems here - still usually get my preorders the Saturday prior to release. An exception this week with the Fantasia Anthology - Veterans Day disrupted the mail service a little bit. But I'm just about certain I'll receive it tomorrow (Monday) - the delivery confirmation has already arrived. Funny how their deliveries typically beat their confirmations.
Old 11-12-00, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread best belongs in the Online Store Forum but it will most likely go unnoticed there. Anyway, to respond to your post, Buy.com consistently delivers before release date for me in NY. A weird thing happened with a recent Amazon order though for Miracle on 34th Street (1994). For no apparent reason, it wasn't shipped until just today, even though it was released on Halloween.
Old 11-12-00, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

moving to Online Store Forum...
Old 11-12-00, 11:05 PM

Yeah, my MI2 just got shipped on Thursday so it'll be here tomorrow. Wow, thanks buy.com... On the other hand, The Perfect Storm should also get here tomorrow, a day early.
Old 11-12-00, 11:06 PM

I've been experiencing delays with buy.com as well, but that may be because I pretty much only order vintage titles, and not the "hot new" films that they probably have in abundance.
Old 11-13-00, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are you sure that you aren't just wrong about the release dates, and they are coming the Friday before the release date, like it is with most people?
Old 11-13-00, 01:53 AM
Cool New Member

I've experienced the same thing (new releases not getting to my mailbox until the Thursday AFTER they're released).

I think it has to do with where you are in the US. Most people that I read about (that get their DVDs "early") are on the east coast. I'm in California, so I think the shipping times come into play (I got Jurassic Park on the Thursday after it was released, even though I pre-ordered it a month ahead of time)
Old 11-13-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They have definitely not been consistant lately unless you count being late everytime consistant. My last four pre-orders all placed at least a month before release have arrived several days after the release, one was a week late. While I understand they have no obligation to ship early, it is definitely unfair one some people get theirs early while others do not. At the very least they should ship on release day as opposed to after. If it were not gor the coupons they have been having lately I too would go elsewhere as I do not like being treated differently from others.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-13-00, 02:39 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mkdevo:
moving to Online Store Forum... <HR>

Good Idea

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk's Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
DVDTalk's Main Forum FAQ Thread

Email: [email protected]
Old 11-13-00, 12:09 PM

Buy lost my business after two pre-order SNAFUs. One was an "arty" film, the other a blockbuster, so I don't see a pattern there.

Something smells fishy with them: could it be they *want* some of us to cancel our orders, perhaps because of coupon use?

Their extremely poor record with Spinal Tap pre-orders (as seen in other threads), for example, might lead us all to consider a form of boycott/complaint. Just like the Amazon pricing fiasco, it seems like Buy is treating customers differently: some get the title well before the release date, others wait for weeks. Worse, the latter folks are lied to (again, see the Spinal Tap related threads) by customer service about the status of their orders and the availability of the titles.

Perhaps it's no conspiracy, just general incompetence. Either way, I'd think twice about pre-ordering from Buy.
Old 11-13-00, 03:03 PM

No conspiracy, just a different business model. Being that they keep no stock themselves, they are dependent on the distribution to fulfill their orders. When you get an order is dependednt on you location in relation to distribution centers. Of course, some areas will get DVDs sooner than others, as there are heavier concentrations of distributors in that area. Also keep in mind that at times the manufacters lag on producing the product, which causes sufficient delays.
Old 11-13-00, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by supersalo:
I've experienced the same thing (new releases not getting to my mailbox until the Thursday AFTER they're released).

I think it has to do with where you are in the US. Most people that I read about (that get their DVDs "early") are on the east coast. I'm in California, so I think the shipping times come into play (I got Jurassic Park on the Thursday after it was released, even though I pre-ordered it a month ahead of time)
<HR>

isn't it shipped from california though?

Old 11-13-00, 06:27 PM

I am not to sure that some of you guys are understanding what is going on. Some of us older cutomers are used to the reputation that buy.com gave us at first. That is all pre-orders were on time, maybe a day late. But, a week late is unexceptable espiecally when I can get most of these movies the day the come out at Best Buy or Circut City for the same price sometimes even better. I think it has to do with all the coupons oe something. So to some this all up, and I am sure that I am not just speaking for myself here, but I think buy.com is going to be losing alot of customers at least the ones that like to have there movies the same week that they are released.
>>
>>
>>
Maybe George Lucas became the head at buy.com, and that is why all the movies are late. (aka.starwars)
Old 11-14-00, 10:47 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mjduda:
...I think buy.com is going to be losing alot of customers at least the ones that like to have there movies the same week that they are released.
<HR>

Nail on the head. I no longer expect to receive DVDs before the release date, but what's the point of preordering a DVD if you're going to get the sucka weeks after the release date?