DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Dollar Tree breaks the $1 barrier as costs take a bite (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/653903-dollar-tree-breaks-%241-barrier-costs-take-bite.html)

JoeySeven 09-29-21 02:10 PM

Dollar Tree breaks the $1 barrier as costs take a bite

Wonder what all is going to go up and if they should change their name to something like Dollar PLUS Tree store?:lol:
And besides movies, I only have a few things I like to get from DT. And this is just part of inflation hitting the economy.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- Dollar Tree embedded in its very name what it stands for: Behind these doors, everything can be had for just $1.

The mantra to which the Chesapeake, Virginia, company has held true for decades will now be only mostly true.

After expanding nationwide from only a handful of stores in Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia, Dollar Tree is breaking the mold and will sell items in some locations that exceed the tantalizing $1 grab-n-go price

Rest of the story.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...-bite-80303070

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...30db632f52.jpg

Abob Teff 09-29-21 09:43 PM

Re: Dollar Tree breaks the $1 barrier as costs take a bite

lwhy? 09-29-21 09:48 PM

I don't know how they have survived this long with only selling items for a dollar or less.

Alan Smithee 09-30-21 12:09 AM

They used to be called 98 Cent Clearance Center, so they raised prices 2 cents when the name changed. We’ll see how this plays out, but I stopped going into 99 Cent Only Stores when they stopped living up to that name, and won’t be until they at least change the name.

Koby 09-30-21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13990939)
I don't know how they have survived this long with only selling items for a dollar or less.

A lot of the stuff they sell for a dollar, is cheaper at walmart, or simply lower quantity in the package. Numerous items if you do the math actually end up being more expensive at Dollar Tree even though it's $1.

Like paper plates for example: 40ct for $1 at Dollar Tree, but 100ct for $1.98 at Walmart.

Half can Pringles $1 at Dollar Tree. Full size can Pringles at Walmart only $1.40.

zyzzle 09-30-21 04:41 PM

Yes, that's very, very true. Most of their stuff is overpriced at even $1. Same goes for 99 cent store, who raised their prices above their monkier "99 cents only" about 12 years ago. About 70 - 80% of the stuff you can buy at both stores is available at places like Wal Mart for less. Like Koby said, you get twice as much for $1.40 or $1.50 there. Occasionally you still find a 'bargain', but it's only in about 20% of the cases. Now with Dollar tree going above $1, there won't be *any* bargains to be had... You have to be a savvy shopper at even the "bargain" stores, or you'll wind up getting hosed!

PhantomStranger 09-30-21 04:46 PM

There are deals to be had at Dollar Tree if you are careful but I suspect those days will soon be over. They've been wanting to raise prices for a couple years and inflation is now rearing its ugly head.

Depending on the changes, this will definitely make me reconsider shopping there for small items. The big issue is how often the lines back up because they are regularly understaffed these days.

movieguru 10-01-21 03:38 PM

I was at Five Below a few weeks back and they had items that were more than $5. some things they were selling for $10

Abob Teff 10-01-21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13991755)
I was at Five Below a few weeks back and they had items that were more than $5. some things they were selling for $10

Well ... it isn't Below Five; it's Five Below. They didn't say below what. :D

movieguru 10-03-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13991918)
Well ... it isn't Below Five; it's Five Below. They didn't say below what. :D

Yeah, but the sections where items are above $5 are marked as "Ten Below". It's kind of like those stores at the beach that have huge signs that say "Everything is $5.99 or less". But when you go in the store and ask they point to one shelf where the items are price at $5.99 or less and the rest of the items in the store are above that price.

AaronHernandez 10-11-21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 13991271)
Yes, that's very, very true. Most of their stuff is overpriced at even $1. Same goes for 99 cent store, who raised their prices above their monkier "99 cents only" about 12 years ago. About 70 - 80% of the stuff you can buy at both stores is available at places like Wal Mart for less. Like Koby said, you get twice as much for $1.40 or $1.50 there. Occasionally you still find a 'bargain', but it's only in about 20% of the cases. Now with Dollar tree going above $1, there won't be *any* bargains to be had... You have to be a savvy shopper at even the "bargain" stores, or you'll wind up getting hosed!

Basically food is not where you save money at the dollar tree although one item that is underrated is Protein shakes,occasionally the Costco brand Protein shake or Premier Protein shake is overstocked and Dollar Tree or 99 cent store carry them a few weeks a year. Even when you bulk buy in a multipak at Costco or Walmart/Grocery Store it's anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 per shake. In general the real savings at dollar trees are storage containers, craft items,shampoo's,first aid items,greeting cards,party supplies,holiday decorations etc. Tons of items that would be 3-4 dollars at a hobby lobby or michaels are sold at the dollar tree.

zyzzle 10-11-21 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez (Post 13996029)
In general the real savings at dollar trees are storage containers, craft items,shampoo's,first aid items,greeting cards,party supplies,holiday decorations etc. Tons of items that would be 3-4 dollars at a hobby lobby or michaels are sold at the dollar tree.

Yes, I've noticed that. Greeting cards, especially are good value there. And some medicine OTC items like creams, ointments, etc. Food is not any value there at all. Only those "once-a-year" overstock items that are unpredictable.

Abob Teff 10-12-21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13992409)
Yeah, but the sections where items are above $5 are marked as "Ten Below". It's kind of like those stores at the beach that have huge signs that say "Everything is $5.99 or less". But when you go in the store and ask they point to one shelf where the items are price at $5.99 or less and the rest of the items in the store are above that price.

Satisfaction guaranteed!*
*Unless you are dissatisfied.

This warranty fully covers all working items.
Parts that break, wear out, or are defective are not covered.

Cardsfan111 10-27-21 02:54 PM

I haven't stopped to verify, but some folks on social media are saying the stores around me are $1.25 now.