Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Planet/Ken Crane's Official Statement -PLEASE READ!!!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Planet/Ken Crane's Official Statement -PLEASE READ!!!

Old 10-24-00, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the various threads asserting that KenCranes.com and/or DVDPlanet.com have been "compromised or "hacked":

I have just concluded a phone conversation with Holly Bell, Manager of Customer Services for Ken Crane's and DVD Planet.

1) Ken Crane's, http://www.kencranes.com :

The company does have reason to suspect that someone may have tried to tamper with the site. In a "cautionary"/pre-emptive move, the company's IS/IT staff is working with the merchant services company to insure that the site is fully secured. Whether an actual "compromise" happened, where the possible compromise happened (website or merchant services end), or the extent of the compromise has not yet been fully determined, but Ms Bell assured me that when this site comes back up it will be safe and secure.

According to Ms Bell, that the Ken Crane site is down is actually only coincidental with their security efforts. The site is actually down due to "webserver/hosting" issues.

In any event, when the Ken Crane's site comes back online it will be secure.

2) DVD Planet, http://www.dvdplanet.com :

Ms Bell assures me that they have no reason to suspect that DVD Planet has been compromised in any way.

DVD Planet's site went down about 1400 hrs EST yesterday. According to Ms Bell, this was a result of "hosting" concerns and was not related to any security issues at all.

The site came back online about 1100 hrs PST today, is open for business, and is secure.

Ms Bell stated that Ken Crane's/DVD Planet are committed to providing their customers with the best costomer service they possibly can and that all of their resources and efforts are being put to use to this end.

Now, what I think:

That this company took the time to have someone call me and go "on the record" with me, and that they didn't just ignore me, or issue a blanket statement like "Our site is secure.... blah, blah, blah".... like I've seen SO many other companies/banks have speaks volumes about this company's committment to its customers.

Hope this helps clear things up!

Thanks to Holly Bell and Ken Crane's for responding to me so quickly!

Clay Autery
"Just the Average Joe"

Old 10-24-00, 06:56 PM
Cool New Member

Holly Bell- She's smokin' HOT!!! A little off the subject, but just wanted to tell you guys.
Old 10-24-00, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really see this as a denial that something may have happened. I hope it hasn't. I have made purchases here in the past and never had any problems. It would be a major embarassment to openly come out and say the site was hacked, and it would put a major damper on their business. I went through this problem earlier with CDUniverse when they were hacked. I don't know if my card number was stolen since I changed it once the news came out about their site. They denied the problem at first and even debated about paying the hacker to keep it quiet.
Old 10-24-00, 08:03 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LASERMOVIES:
I don't really see this as a denial that something may have happened. I hope it hasn't. I have made purchases here in the past and never had any problems. It would be a major embarassment to openly come out and say the site was hacked, and it would put a major damper on their business. I went through this problem earlier with CDUniverse when they were hacked. I don't know if my card number was stolen since I changed it once the news came out about their site. They denied the problem at first and even debated about paying the hacker to keep it quiet. <HR>

I undertsand what you are saying and it may be easy to make that kind of leep. However, it light of 20+ years that the Crane family has served the community, it is unlikey that they are operating in an manner that is not is the best interest of its customers. I have had to have my card replaced. Yes, it was a slight inconvenience, but compared to the potential downside, I'd rather the company be proactive and protect me and their other customers. So to me, Ken Crane/DVDplanet has acted deligently when they suspected any tampering may have occurred.

Old 10-24-00, 08:12 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdman101:
Holly Bell- She's smokin' HOT!!! A little off the subject, but just wanted to tell you guys.<HR>

I understand that there are at least two hotties at the store. I know that there is a VP there that has an extremely sexy voice. She was helpful in explaining the situation and I believe there was no serious "hacking" and she just wanted to play it safe. You gotta love it when they are looking out for you AND HOT TOO BOOT!

Old 10-24-00, 09:23 PM

So Cautery, you work for Ken Crane/DVDPlanet, right?
Old 10-25-00, 12:37 AM

elnutsacko,

No, as a matter of fact I don't have any connection with this company other than having made one purchase from them. I'm just tired of seeing reputable businesses trashed by innuendo and rumour, and decided to give them a chance to respond.

I had/have absolutely nothing to gain from it.... with the possible exception that I will continue to have a cool place to order DVDs from.

You are kinda cynical don't you think?

Clay
Old 10-25-00, 02:44 AM

Reading some of these threads, i've started to see a trend of posters who have either a personal relationship or else have an affinity for Ken Cranes rush to defend and debunk posters who clearly are concerned about their credit card accounts.

Its one thing to go off half cocked or to maliciously spread false rumors. Its quite another thing to play p.r. and damage control for Ken Cranes instead of actually being objective.
Old 10-25-00, 02:53 AM

whomod - Are you suggesting that I am a "bad guy" for taking MY TIME to go to the source and get their side of the story?

I neither have a "personal" relationship or an "affinity" for KC/DVDP. I order from everybody.... in fact I have orders in with 4 different retailors right now.

I think I AM being objective. ALL I did was report what was told to me. AND I separated my personal opinion from the rest of the post.

I think it's only fair that if someone is going to trash a vendor, the vendor should have access to respond.

Geez, you guys are friggin' amazing. Dis' ME!? Why? I was just trying to help...

Man....
Clay
Old 10-25-00, 03:03 AM

There aint much point asking the store to make a comment.

What are they going to say. Our site has been hacked. Peoples Credit Card information has been stolen, and we have no idea how it happened or how to fix it.

Not that I'm saying that this is the case here, it's just that they are always gonna gloss over the facts (if the facts are bad), so you can't trust what is said.
Old 10-25-00, 03:22 AM
Cool New Member

You know what kills me about you guys? Well I'm gonna tell you. First of all, Ken Crane's notifies credit card companies to give them heads up on this situation, before they knew if this info has even been jeopardized. In my mind, I would give them props for doing that. Second, they aren't exactly hiding this and saying they haven't got a clue what's happened...bla.bla.bla. Third, the big one, ALMOST EVERY ONLINE COMPANY USES VERISIGN (the best encrytion available), so if a hacker can get into one site that uses Verisign, they're capablele of getting into any other site that uses Verisign. So, let me clue you guys in on something, if they can your credit card info from one site they can get them from any site and that nowhere is 100% safe, period. Whether it be online shopping, the mail, at your credit card company, in your wallet, using it, etc.. This is not Ken Crane's fault this happened and if you say it is your ignorant, plain and simple. So all of you who thinks it's their fault please let me know. As for my knowledge on this stuff, I design/host sites and I also own multiple large e-commerce sites, which I'm sure some of you have purchased from.

whomod-
As for defending a retailer, I do defend them, because I'm a online retailer myself. So, I know how it is dealing with these types of issues and simpathize with them, especially if it's not their fault.
Old 10-25-00, 03:57 AM
Cool New Member

Void the above, I was not aware it was a server issue. I thought it was in the ordering process. With the sites I design and own, I do not store vital information like that on the server, it's erased after it has been transmitted. Not a smart thing to do Ken Crane's/DVD Planet.
Old 10-25-00, 04:26 AM

dvdman101 - I don't think anyone has said that they store the CC info on the server. What I was told was that they "had reason to believe someone may have tried to tamper" with the server.

As you know, this covers a LOT of ground. There are a number of ways to trap info.... not just getting info out of the dbases.

It is also possible that the problem could be on the merchant services end of the pipeline. I personally have come across one MS company that was sending notifications by email (unencrypted) to various administrators (checking traffic) that contained sensitive info.

I'm not saying that is the case here, just that it could be a situation that is totally beyond the control of the merchant website.

What I believe is important is that they "suspected" possible tampering, and rather than "wait and see" if it was a problem, they took a pro-active stance to protect ALL of their customers.

Just my opinion of course....

Clay
Old 10-25-00, 04:43 AM
Cool New Member

cautery-

I pulled my opinion back, because I don't know the facts. Some people are saying that they haven't placed orders in months. So in that case I would assume that info is stored in their server, but again, I don't know. I think Ken Crane's is a great e-vender and I respect Kenny and his business. At the same time we all are speculating on what's going on without the facts. So, I'm just going to kickback on the sidelines and let Ken and his crew resolve this matter, which they will in great manner.
Old 10-25-00, 05:00 AM

dvdman101 - Fair enough.

BTW, Ms Bell said that she would have their IS/IT folks call me when they had a complete answer on Who, What, When.... etc on the kencranes.com site re: the merchant services investigation.

I don't have all the facts either (as no one does... even the company... as they were quite candid about).

My whole point in getting involved here was to let everyone know that these guys were and are doing everything they can to give great customer service AND protect the customer's info at the same time.

Thanks,
Clay
Old 10-25-00, 10:55 AM

Whether Ken Crane's was hacked for cc#'s or not, or any of you guys know what you are talking about, if you have used your credit card with them to make a purchase online, I woould call my credit card company and see what they think you should do. For those of you who are under the impression that Crane's is being proactive, you should do the same and call your cc company. There is no reason that credit card info should be stored where their is access to it for a hacker, and from the statements that are being made by Ms. Bell and others, I would be afraid, very afraid. Protect yourselves, change your cards now.
Old 10-28-00, 03:33 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cautery:
dvdman101 - Fair enough.

snip

My whole point in getting involved here was to let everyone know that these guys were and are doing everything they can to give great customer service AND protect the customer's info at the same time.

Thanks,
Clay
<HR>

I'm the one who originally posted the problem. I regret ever using the word "hacked"! At least I wrote "hacked?". However, my "complaints" remains that NEITHER KC or my cc company ever contacted me that my account may be cancelled, as KC should have done, or WAS cancelled, as the cc company should have done, nor has KC posted an OFFICIAL response on these boards, NOR is there any indication on their website that there was a problem with cc numbers that might affect past customers.
I don't call that "great customer service". This whole incident remains a big secret, except to those readers of this forum.
Old 10-29-00, 02:55 PM

StanS,

I have it from someone who regularly talks
with a 'high ranking' person at KC, that
their corporate policy is to not discuss these issues on Internet forums. I understand
your side, but I can see theirs too.