Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Fry's Electronics is dying

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Fry's Electronics is dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Fry's Electronics is dying

Originally Posted by slop101
LOL, yeah, my wife constantly buys clothes/shoes online that end up not fitting her and she has to return it, and even if it's a free return shipping (it usually is, she won't buy something that doesn't have that), it's still a pain to have to repackage and drop off at the UPS store or wherever. But then that's still more convenient than going to a store and trying on things there in person. Though she has said that less and less places are offering free return shipping. Shipping's just gotten way too out of hand expensive.
Yeah ordering clothes online can be a pain.
The site compressionsale.com is really bad. I returned some socks
that were the wrong size and not only did I have to pay to ship it back,
there's a 25% restocking fee on top of it, even though I didn't open the package
Old 02-20-23, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Highly doubt malls are ever coming back in the form we all knew them for the past 40 years. The math for them doesn't work since the youngest generations have been trained to order everything from the internet. Once they break women of the habit for clothes shopping in person, it's game over.
40 years?! Huh! Try the last 60+ years. Shopping malls really got started in 1957-58 timeframe. Here's a blast from the past: Hillsdale mall opened in 1957 in San Mateo:

It has been so sad living through the era of the death of the Shopping Mall.

Online everything, instant everything, instant convenience from home. Can't be bothered to leave the safety bubble of our homes to (gasp!) actually go out and spend an hour buying or procuring items any more. Covid really was the final nail in the coffin.

To an extent, Micro Center is like Fry's redux, and I'm fortunate to live fairly close to one.
Old 02-20-23, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I went to two malls this weekend, both packed beyond belief. But both are huge and really catered towards the local community and demographics of the surrounding areas.
Old 02-20-23, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
It has been so sad living through the era of the death of the Shopping Mall.

Online everything, instant everything, instant convenience from home. Can't be bothered to leave the safety bubble of our homes to (gasp!) actually go out and spend an hour buying or procuring items any more. Covid really was the final nail in the coffin.

To an extent, Micro Center is like Fry's redux, and I'm fortunate to live fairly close to one.
There's a couple malls in the Bay Area that are going through massive redevelopment.
Reducing the retail space and replacing it with housing and office space.
By putting in housing, it'll give more foot traffic to the mall as people are literally right there...

I really liked Micro Center. Better service than Fry's and less crowded,
sad that it's gone from the Bay Area...
Old 02-20-23, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Of the three malls near me, one seems to be doing okay, one is on life support (lost its "anchor stores"), and one has sort of transitioned into a flea market where the chain stores have been replaced by local-owned shops that sell stuff like driftwood picture frames, antiques, and used books. And also has office spaces for insurance companies and cell phone carriers.
Old 02-21-23, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

One of our malls "aged out" (at 39 years old, all stores but Sears had moved out to the "new" mall), was razed (when it became obvious no one was moving in), and the property is now home to several stand-alone businesses. The other was mostly destroyed by a tornado almost 3 years ago (it was 14 years old at the time) and the owners chose to not repair anything but the areas with the least amount of damage (which turned out to be the 3 anchor stores - and, surprisingly, the businesses on the edge/corner pads had no damage). The non-repaired areas were razed, the repaired areas were sealed off properly, and it's a huge eyesore for the most part. It's home to Target, JC Penny, and Dillards - all of which are now stand-alone stores due to the damage. At least it's in a (very) high traffic area so still sees lots of activity but needs to have some development done to make it look better and add a few more stand-alone stores. We lost a Barnes & Noble Bookstore (the last bookstore in town [and it's a Division 1 University town] and they said they're not returning) and Best Buy (who made noise about returning but haven't). There's talk of building a new mall but nothing's come to fruition - mostly lots of talk. IMHO we do *not* "need" another large, enclosed style, mall. Strip malls and fully stand-alone stores work just fine.
Old 02-21-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah. There are a couple malls near me. Some seem to be doing well. Meaning they have good crowds, and name brand, big stores. The one that is going to be dying soon always seems to be a ghost town, and has some skid row stores. Like the bamboo store, sports memorabilia, year round calendar shop, etc. Many of the store fronts are vacant and some of the big anchor stores have closed or moved. What hastened this particular malls demise was actually a brand new mall opening that poached a few of the more popular retailers, that ended up moving their stores to the new mall.
Old 02-21-23, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Can someone please add a "(Dead)" to this thread title?

Sunrise Mall in outer Sacramento used to be the Mecca of all malls. It was the farthest from where my parents lived so it was a special occasion to go there. It's just about a ghost mall today with Sears gone, the movie theater permanently closed and a good number of stores vacant. Last time I went in was to eat something, and there were maybe 2 places still open in the food court which had been added not too long ago. The city has been talking about re-developing the land, it would be nice if it could be made into a museum as it was when it first opened.

Old 02-21-23, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Sunrise Mall in outer Sacramento used to be the Mecca of all malls. It was the farthest from where my parents lived so it was a special occasion to go there. It's just about a ghost mall today with Sears gone, the movie theater permanently closed and a good number of stores vacant. Last time I went in was to eat something, and there were maybe 2 places still open in the food court which had been added not too long ago. The city has been talking about re-developing the land, it would be nice if it could be made into a museum as it was when it first opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-e_bA9lG34
IIRC, since you started it you should be able to edit the title yourself. If not, report your post so an Admin sees it and in the reason indicate you'd like a title change.
Old 02-21-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-e_bA9lG34
IIRC, since you started it you should be able to edit the title yourself. Well... if you can I can't figure out how to do so (tried on a few I started)... so... report your post so an Admin sees it and in the reason indicate you'd like a title change.
Old 02-21-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
IIRC, since you started it you should be able to edit the title yourself. Well... if you can I can't figure out how to do so (tried on a few I started)... so... report your post so an Admin sees it and in the reason indicate you'd like a title change.
There's a time limit on users being able to edit the title of their own thread. By default, it's 5 minutes (I'm not sure what this forum has it set to). After that time limit, only moderators can modify the thread title.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (03-01-23)
Old 02-22-23, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't see any mods listed at the bottom of the Store Forum. Either wait to see if a mod sees the request for thread title change or use the Report Post button. Since it's not a high priority situation, might take a while for a change to the title.