Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Fry's Electronics is dying

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Fry's Electronics is dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Fry's Electronics is dying

They opened the IL store here in 2004 and for a while it was my go to store for all media. The selection was unmatched for catalog titles. It was right on my way to/from work every day.

I think I've been in there maybe once or twice in the past few years. They were selling all new releases at full list. Didn't seem like a store that wanted business at all.

Customer service was always shit - especially returns. I brought back a sealed copy of a box set, which they proceeded to open to "check" it. I told them it was theirs the instant they opened it. Also fell victim to multiple resealed returns before I figured out how to ID them.

Once their selection and prices took a dive, it was all too easy to stay from such a poorly run store.
Old 09-03-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They opened the IL store here in 2004 and for a while it was my go to store for all media. The selection was unmatched for catalog titles. It was right on my way to/from work every day.

I think I've been in there maybe once or twice in the past few years. They were selling all new releases at full list. Didn't seem like a store that wanted business at all.

Customer service was always shit - especially returns. I brought back a sealed copy of a box set, which they proceeded to open to "check" it. I told them it was theirs the instant they opened it. Also fell victim to multiple resealed returns before I figured out how to ID them.

Once their selection and prices took a dive, it was all too easy to stay from such a poorly run store.
Yeah, that place is right by my work and I used to love going through their massive DVD selection. But after a few times of buying something and having to deal with returns, it soured us on shopping there.

Last edited by milo bloom; 09-25-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Palo Alto store closing in January 2020.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...ore-in-january
Old 09-25-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That one's more lease-related, though they probably would've tried harder to renew it if they were doing better. Stores here still seem to be open, but likely haven't gotten any new merchandise in since I was last there. No place to buy any niche new releases now.
Old 09-27-19, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That one's more lease-related, though they probably would've tried harder to renew it if they were doing better.
The Palo Alto store isn't merely facing an issue of lease renewal. The entire area around the store is being redeveloped.

Old 09-27-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

No place to buy any niche new releases now.
There's still a few places depending on where you live like Amoeba Music (San Francisco, CA) or one of the larger Rasputin Music stores (Campbell, CA/Berkeley, CA).

Amoeba Music in Berkeley, CA has downsized their Blu-Ray/DVD section considerably that I stopped going in there completely.
Old 10-04-19, 10:27 PM

Berkeley is still a day trip for me. I want to be able to grab things on the way home from work (I worked next to a Fry's for a while and got new releases on my lunch break.)
Old 10-06-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/10/f...ltiple-stores/

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/can-fr...spark-concern/

It looks like Fry's is on life support. They haven't restocked shelves in months and the parking lots are empty at many stores. They deny they're going under. My local news also covered this story.

I last went to the store near me in Anaheim about 8-10 months ago and it was dead. Huge space and there was hardly anyone in it. It used to be super busy back in the late 90s and early 2000s
Old 10-07-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

“We are in the process of re-ordering product and restocking shelves,” said Manuel Valerio, community relations manager for the company. “More product in all stores in next few weeks. Fry’s is not liquidating. And products ordered online are now shipped to customers directly from their local stores. Fry’s is not going out of business or closing any stores.”
Old 10-08-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, used to go to the Fountain Valley location pretty regularly - they were pretty good with media for a while. But then I kinda stopped buying movies/tv-shows, and went full digital for video games and haven't been to fry's in a long time.

But I recall they had turntable needles, so I stopped by there last week for the first time in a year to buy a replacement cartridge, and yeah, store was DEAD. No one in there, shelves bare, and the only dvd movies they had were no-name indie studio titles. It was like I was at a low-rent swap meet. Oh yeah, the thing I went there for, turntable needle, of course they didn't have it. They didn't have shit!

Kinda sad, but I get it.
Old 10-09-19, 01:26 AM

Of course they aren't liquidating, there's hardly anything in their stores to sell now!

Will be morbidly curious to see if they at least get in some stock for the Christmas season. Bet they won't sell many gift cards this year when there's nothing to spend them on.
Old 11-10-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

From SD,looks like every store might be closing next month.
I have not been to the Roseville store in about 3 months. But I also use to go to the store in Wilsonville,Oregon .
But maybe about 8 years ago I could have spent half a day just looking and buying media if I had the time.

But we had two young kids and lived about 1 hour away from the Fry's in Oregon and would stop by after eating at Bullwinkles pizza play center
or visiting family in Portland. Good times.

I have ties to people who work in the Fry's Corporate Office. Their BF ad this year is going to be a "50-80% off everything Liquidation sale" and that every store will be closing permanently on or by December 31st 2019.

Don't expect any recent or high ticket items. Fry's hasn't gotten shipments of new product in over 9 months.
Old 11-10-19, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Sad to see Fry's go, the memories of shopping there circa 1995-2005 remain. That leaves Micro Center and Best Buy for local electronic and computer shopping. Marginally, Target and Walmat for mainstream stuff only.

Even at "50-80% off" there won't be any inventory to liquidate, so I can't imagine it will even be worth the drive to pick at the dregs which remain.
Old 11-10-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like they won't have anything to liquidate except for shelves, tables, and other fixtures.
Old 11-10-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I was just thinking the other day about this, if they were to ever start liquidating.

I could see grabbing some of the shlocky scifi stuff they still have if they really mark the prices way down. Maybe even some of the video games.
Old 11-10-19, 11:47 PM

Went out after work on Friday looking for a hard-core long-range TV antenna (long story) and figured I'd stop by Fry's just in case. Of course all they had left was the cheap crap (found a decent one at the Walmart nearby.) Took this video just because nobody else had done one for this location- the area where the TVs are is more than half empty, it used to be FULL of them. DVDs and Blu-Rays are now down to just half of an aisle, though they have some Arrow titles on an endcap. Nothing released within the past few months. Looked in the video game section and not much left there either- if they liquidate there's really not going to be anything to buy.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

People are making tons of comments on Facebook about the empty stores, and someone at Fry's keeps responding "We'll be getting new inventory in soon!" I'll believe that when I see it. This would be funny to watch if it wasn't my favorite store and one of the last ones that sold stuff I actually want to buy.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-10-19 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I've noticed in the last few weeks I have stopped getting the promo code e-mails. I signed up to get them twice weekly but haven't seen one in about 3 weeks now.
Old 11-11-19, 07:39 PM

I still get emails about computers and TVs on sale but don't bother looking at them. I mainly just cared about the movies, for a while they had the same Universal Blu-Ray titles for $5 and now have nothing.
Old 11-12-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I still get emails about computers and TVs on sale but don't bother looking at them. I mainly just cared about the movies, for a while they had the same Universal Blu-Ray titles for $5 and now have nothing.
If you have no interest in the emails, why not unsubscribe? You even hoard email.
Old 11-20-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fry's continues to insist it isn't going out of business. From the Dallas Morning News, Nov 15, 2019

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...t-of-business/
Old 11-21-19, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When you constantly have to deny you're going out of business, you're going out of business.
Old 11-21-19, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A "shift in supplier strategy?"

Is that new corporate-speak for "haven't been paying our fucking bills so they dropped us like a bad habit?"
Old 11-21-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

"consignment strategy" and "won't actually own the merchandise"? Yowzers! Sorry Fry's, but that won't work for you. And I'm on your side.
Old 11-21-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle
"consignment strategy" and "won't actually own the merchandise"? Yowzers! Sorry Fry's, but that won't work for you. And I'm on your side.
It worked for Best Buy, didn't it?
Old 11-22-19, 11:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It must be pure misery for the store employees. I suspect Corporate isn't any more forthcoming with them than the public. Way back in the Nethanderal period, I worked in retail and often you catch it from both sides, customers and management. Sure a hard job for often not much more than minimum wage.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.