Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What is the VERY best Place for DVD's online?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What is the VERY best Place for DVD's online?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-00, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read the title, post ONE site, based on price and reliability. Speed comes up last.

------------------
"Only the penitent man shall pass" Time to show off...yeah right

[This message has been edited by Monk506 (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 10-22-00, 12:36 AM
Cool New Member

I personally think www.dvdplanet.com is the most reliable. They hav been selling dvd's online longer than anyone else. Also, they are owned by Image Entertainment, which is the largest dvd distributor around. They supply all the big boys like Amazon, Express and Best Buy, so if www.dvdplanet.com doesn't have it, chances are no one has it. They also offer 30% off everything, with a flat rate of $2.50 for shipping. Most other online stores rip you off with there shipping.
Old 10-22-00, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will throw in my support for Amazon.com as a good and reliable site. If you are interested in clicking for GCs like Freeride, then you can get DVDs for very little to nothing out of your pocket. There prices are not as good as they used to be, but you can get preorders for 30%-40% off. Since you listed speed last it fits Amazon since they don't ship preorders until almost the release date. They are very reliable with excellent customer service.
Old 10-22-00, 03:16 AM

I throw in support for www.totalactionuniverse.com great prices, huge library and very cheap shipping rates. I recommend you to take a look!
Old 10-22-00, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Ken Cranes(aka DVDplanet - has flat rate shipping and 30% off on most titles(even more on selected items) and beside it's only a 10 minutes drive from my townhouse .

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction
Old 10-22-00, 12:59 PM

hm...good good,

Have any of you tried www.suncoast.com ? Is it any good?

------------------
"Only the penitent man shall pass" Time to show off...yeah right

[This message has been edited by Monk506 (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 10-22-00, 03:09 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let me add my voice to those who like www.amazon.com . Best prices, given the easy availability of coupons and gift certificates, and one of the most reliable. If you care about getting a preorder on or before the release date, forget it. But if you're OK with getting it 2 days later, no problem.
Old 10-22-00, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JBDomain:
Another vote for Ken Cranes(aka DVDplanet - has flat rate shipping and 30% off on most titles(even more on selected items) and beside it's only a 10 minutes drive from my townhouse .
<HR>

And yet another vote for dvdplanet...they will be around in the future without a doubt as they have been for many years...

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-22-00, 06:07 PM

I just logged into the forums and was going to start a thread asking if DVD Planet was a reliable online store. I was looking up some DVDs I want at dvdpricesearch.com, and they came up the cheapest, but I've never ordered from them before. I stumbled across this thread, and I'm glad to hear they're so reliable! I won't hesitate placing my order there now.

Thanks,

abs
Old 10-22-00, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My choice of late has been half.com.....you can virtually name your price and sooner or later youll get a good deal on something youre looking for,especially if you arent waiting with baited breath for a particular title......I just picked up Rush Hour for $7.95 SHIPPED.
Old 10-22-00, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMAZON
Old 10-22-00, 08:32 PM

Removed ADVERTISING from THUNDER - a company who thought it was ok to post advertising on our forum......

It isn't....

[This message has been edited by gkleinman (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old 10-22-00, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

Thunder-

Who designed your site? It looks good.
Old 10-22-00, 10:14 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered the Marx Bros. Box Set from DVDPlanet. Took them two and a half months to send it to me, but I finally got it. They have no coupons, so their prices are too high for me.
Old 10-23-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is not such thing as a good online store. Stop dreaming and go back to your lived people. Nothing to see here.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 10-23-00, 01:38 PM
Banned

How is DVD EMPIRE?
Old 10-23-00, 02:25 PM

DVDEmpire.com rocks! I have never had a problem with them. They always have my disc to me a day before street date. Good prices. I love them!
Old 10-23-00, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote for current best would have to be DVDempire. Buy is second and DVDexpress still rounds out the top 3 for me. I know people are having problems with them but I haven't seen any of it yet. Of course I only have a few orders left w/ them, the next one due next week so we'll see

BTW WRT imports it's www.dddhouse.com followed by www.hivizone.com

[This message has been edited by nemein (edited October 23, 2000).]
Old 10-23-00, 05:18 PM
Banned

for ME personally:

Service: buy.com
prices: buy.com
shipping: buy.com

any questions?

------------------
- There is no spoon -
Old 10-24-00, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think DVDPlanet should be avoided with stories of the site being hacked. http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005730.html
Old 10-24-00, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
Nobody beats buy.com unless I get a random coupon/GC for amazon.
Old 10-24-00, 02:15 PM

I would say look around. If prices are your main concern, then your location will matter in regards to tax. 800.com doesn't charge tax to anyone though, because they are based in Oregan. I live in California which means almost all online stores will charge tax. I always look around, as Buy.com sometimes has the best prices for me, even with tax included.
Old 10-24-00, 02:41 PM

LASERMOVIES - That is EXACTLY what they are. I just spoke with DVDPlanet, and they state that they WERE NOT "hacked". They had server probs, but DVDPlanet.com is up again.

I am awaiting a phone call from a senior rep in the company to give me a formal quote to publish here and on HTF to nip this in the bud.

Idle gossip can seriously hurt or kill a business... I have seen it happen!

Sincerely,
Clay
Old 10-24-00, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cautery:
LASERMOVIES - That is EXACTLY what they are. I just spoke with DVDPlanet, and they state that they WERE NOT "hacked". They had server probs, but DVDPlanet.com is up again.

I am awaiting a phone call from a senior rep in the company to give me a formal quote to publish here and on HTF to nip this in the bud.

Idle gossip can seriously hurt or kill a business... I have seen it happen!

Sincerely,
Clay
<HR>

I think it would be wise to avoid them until all the facts are clear. We do have a forum member stating his credit card company gave him information his card was stolen from the site. There are not enough details saying how this information was obtained, and you cannot believe company information either. This happened earlier with CDUniverse and they were not totally honest about the problem at first. I have placed orders at Kencranes(DVDPlanet) in the past, and they do have a good reputaion. But I think it would be wise not place orders there until the situation is resolved, and all the facts become known.

[This message has been edited by LASERMOVIES (edited October 24, 2000).]
Old 10-24-00, 03:30 PM

LASERMOVIES - Fair enough.

I just spoke to the senior CS Rep and was told that a VERY senior person would call me after lunch with a quote. I explained that this could get out of hand on the Forums if not addressed quickly. The rep said that they understood, but that the person I would be getting the quote from wanted to make sure he had the time to get the details of the situation from all pertinent players BEFORE issuing a statement.

So, I will post their response with as much detail as I can in a new thread after I get the call.

Cool?

Thanks,
Clay

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.