Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Screwed Me Bad!!! Help!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy Screwed Me Bad!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-00, 12:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought Lost World DTS at Best Buy tonight, when I brought it home I found a clear plastic disc in place of the dvd. I went right back to the store with my receipt, and asked for an exchange. They would not exchange it, they said I have to go directly through Universal to exchange it!!! AHHHH!!! Is that awful or what??? I e-mailed Universal, don't know if and when they will get back to me. I realize that Best Buy needs to protect themselves from fraud, but it really sucks when an honest customer gets screwed like this!!! Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-13-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take it back again. Demand it again to be replaced. Maybe try a different Best Buy
Old 10-13-00, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you bought it on a credit card, dispute the charge.
Old 10-13-00, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a flaming joke. Keep us posted on what happens...

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 10-13-00, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did your copy have the three seals on the case itself protecting the disc inside from theft???

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-13-00, 10:26 AM
Cool New Member

Orginally posted by djones6746 Did your copy have the three seals on the case itself protecting the disc inside from theft???

Yes, It did! Some quality control huh? I also just noticed this morning that near the center of the plastic disc ring is a serial number and bar code that is typically on the inner ring of a dvd. Anyone care to check their copy and see if I have a match? 2oe24011 ab-15584-d0r0 pdsc ca (Not 100% sure of the first digit looks like a '2')
Old 10-13-00, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Press the issue with Best Buy. It's a defective disc, and their policy is to exchange it instore. Raise hell if you have to, but do it with a manager. They will take care of you.
Old 10-13-00, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>I also just noticed this morning that near the center of the plastic disc ring is a serial number and bar code that is typically on the inner ring of a dvd. Anyone care to check their copy and see if I have a match? 2oe24011 ab-15584-d0r0 pdsc ca (Not 100% sure of the first digit looks like a '2')[/B]<HR>

Mine reads:

20G31015 BB-207881 PEMC-D2R0 PDSC CA M1S6

------------------
THIS FILM HAS BEEN MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL VERSION. IT HAS BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR TV.
Oh?? So it's ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN, right??
Old 10-13-00, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also just noticed this morning that near the center of the plastic disc ring is a serial number and bar code that is typically on the inner ring of a dvd. Anyone care to check their copy and see if I have a match? 2oe24011 ab-15584-d0r0 pdsc ca (Not 100% sure of the first digit looks like a '2')[/B][/QUOTE]

Mine says: 10G17027 BB-207881 PEMC-D2R0 PDSC CA So I guess that arguement won't work.

Old 10-13-00, 10:35 PM
Cool New Member

Universal has not gotten back to me... I'm screwed!

Thanks for your suggestions gang!
Old 10-14-00, 12:25 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Sell the thing on Ebay as a "rare error disk".
Old 10-14-00, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Al Pacino said in "Scent of a Woman":

"If I were younger, I'd take a flamethrower to the place!!!"

------------------
Frequently doing the undoable...
Old 10-14-00, 05:55 PM

Best Buy is required by law to either replace the DVD or refund your money. When a merchant such as Best Buy sells you a good, there is an implied warranty of merchantability that accompanies the sale. Merchantability means that the good must be "fit for its intended use."

Obviously, the DVD was not "fit." You have the option of making Best Buy or Universal fix it - it's your choice. Thus, ask to talk to a manager or someone in charge at Best Buy and explain this fact. You may have to go as high as the Legal Department to get someone who will deal with you. I know it's a lot of hassle for a DVD, but if you want Best Buy to fix it, they must. The best part is that in the event you have to sue them to get a replacement, you win attorney's fees automatically!
Old 10-14-00, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

**Update** I went to the store today to demand some action!!! After 45 more minutes and me cursing out every manager they have... They would not budge!!! I wanted to kill them... UNBELIEVABLE!!! Buyers beware!!! Their attitude was "We sold it to you sealed, we did nothing wrong." I explained to them that I have e-mailed Universal from their website and heard nothing. I have spent hours on the phone and on the web to try to get my $20.00 movie and so far nothing. I felt like throwing it at them and leaving, but then I thought for the principle of this issue, I should attempt to see it through. UGHHHHH!!!!
Old 10-14-00, 10:23 PM

sell it on ebay as rare and you "might" make more then the 20 you paid for it

------------------
Kriegman easy to love hard to kill

[This message has been edited by phantom_azazel (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 02:56 AM

First question: Have you ever returned stuff to them before?

Other questions and suggestions:
Did you write down the managers names, and employee ID's (the first question is do you have a business card, if no then name and ID number).

It will take longer, but use the BBB. Write a nice letter, submit it the the BBB with the various managers names, and CC it to the local best buy, and Best Buy Headquarters.

[This message has been edited by David valentine (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 12:33 PM
Cool New Member

<quote>First question: Have you ever returned stuff to them before?
Other questions and suggestions:
Did you write down the managers names, and employee ID's (the first question is do you have a business card, if no then name and ID number).</quote>

I had never returned anything to them before, they never even got as far as asking me my name though... I have all the names of the employees I spoke with. I will be writing their corporate office.
Old 10-15-00, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts
Complain to the BBB.

Also, don't you have a consumer advocate in your area? Go to legal aid as well. You know, if that happened to me I wouldn't hesitate to take them to small claims court. They'ld probably just give you a new one to save themselves the bother.
Old 10-15-00, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you're in southern CA, contact CBS2 in Los Angeles. They have a consumer advocate, Mike boguslawski ("Bogey") who I used to watch when he was in Connecticut. He seems good at getting people what they're rightfully owed.
Old 10-15-00, 05:39 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Which Best Buy are you talking about? I have never had a prob with them like this. Give me the location, I would love to speak with them about this. This is almost unreal, are you sure there is not more to this story?

[This message has been edited by foxdvd (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

Try finding a friend that works for a record, game, or rental store and have them rewrap it. If your thinking this is a weird idea, keep in mind that some of the games, dvd's and cd's have been previously used. All they do is just rewrap and throw a new price tag on it and throw it back on the shelf. Ever notice the used tapes and dvd at Hollywood or Blockbuster are wrapped, hmmm, I wonder how that happened. Anyways, I would try that and return the dvd for store credit and repurchase the dvd title. If you don't have a friend in any of these kind of stores, chum up to your local video stores employees, never know you might be able to slip them a $5 and they'll do it. Just an idea and I know it works.
Old 10-15-00, 09:47 PM
Banned

Of course, you could just go back to BB with a machine gun and mow down a few people. Always makes me feel better.
Old 10-15-00, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Austin_Powers:
Of course, you could just go back to BB with a machine gun and mow down a few people. Always makes me feel better.<HR>

And then, you go back to finish delivering the rest of the mail on your route.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 10-16-00, 12:04 AM
Cool New Member

Nothing more to this story Fox... I bought a movie, and they won't give it to me. By the way, this is the Best Buy in Lakewood, CA. Good luck shopping there. I told my friends, that if they buy movies from there, that they had better open them at the register in front of the cashier. It is truly sad. I told the Service Manager "I have done nothing wrong, I bought this movie from you, and so far I have had to make 3 trips to your store, spent 2 hours on the phone, and an hour online at Universal's website to try to get what I paid you for." his reply again... "It's our policy"
Old 10-16-00, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts
DVDman, regardless of what a store does to you, nothing justifies fraud. That's exactly what that is.

He opened it, he got a defective disc, they should give him his money back or exchange it. If they do not, he should take it to a higher power. Start going through the channels, supervisors, store managers, district mgrs, corperate office, etc. If that doesn't work you then start going to outside sources.

[This message has been edited by Eric F (edited October 16, 2000).]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.