Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Re: Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

I have been car shopping recently and discovered that Chevrolet no longer installs CD players in their new vehicles. I bought a 2017 Nissan Altima that still has a CD player installed, but the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox that my sister bought didn't have one. She still listens to a lot of CDs and she almost didn't buy it when she found out it didn't come with a CD player installed. My old car was a 2008 Chevy Malibu and I burned podcasts to CDs to listen to them while I drive. It was frustrating though since I was limited to 79 minutes and 55 seconds of content. My new car has a CD player, Bluetooth, a USB port, and an Auxiliary cable to use to play music with. I have now started downloading podcasts on a Flash Drive and playing them via the USB port.

Last edited by lwhy?; 02-06-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

My car is a 2015 and it doesn't have a CD player either. I ripped all my CD's and put them on a thumb drive and I have my entire collection at my fingertips. Yeah, it was kind of a pain to do that all at once, but I would never go back to CD's in my car.
Old 02-06-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2017 Mazda CX-5 doesn't have a CD player (although apparently the Japanese version still has it). I thought I would miss it, but I either listen to XM radio, stream from my phone via Bluetooth, or use a USB thumb drive.
Old 02-06-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Hey, I'm complaining more about the lowering of the bar that streaming involves rather than the intentional blaming of the technology. Streaming would be really quite viable *if all the companies offered either uncompressed-16 bit, DRM-free .WAV audio or lossless .FLACs. But they do not. That a hard fact. 99% of music streaming is compressed mp3 or aac at garbage bitrates. This is "intentional" by the RIAA and streaming services, in order that they might save those extra pennies in bandwidth costs, all while charging the same or MORE for each song downloaded, as the equivalent CD cost per track.

Streaming has the potential to be *much better* than CDs, since 10000s of songs could be at our fingertips. But, fideltity has been made to artificially suffer in that construct because of corporate greed and niggardliness.

The argument that 16-bit .FLACS are bandwidth heavy no longer holds water when 50-100mbps internet connections are common, and a full CD uncompressed can be downloaded in only a minute or two at those speeds. It's infuriating, but an intentional conditioning of the masses to lower the bar in audio fidelity.
Old 02-06-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by hariseldon
And I'm assuming the CD change will affect only in-store sales and not Bestbuy.com. The article seems to read that way, but never explicitly states it unless I missed a sentence.
Yes, supposedly they will still offer online sales.
Old 02-06-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I have been car shopping recently and discovered that Chevrolet no longer installs CD players in their new vehicles. I bought a 2017 Nissan Altima that still has a CD player installed, but the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox that my sister bought didn't have one. She still listens to a lot of CDs and she almost didn't buy it when she found out it didn't come with a CD player installed. My old car was a 2008 Chevy Malibu and I burned podcasts to CDs to listen to them while I drive. It was frustrating though since I was limited to 79 minutes and 55 seconds of content. My new car has a CD player, Bluetooth, a USB port, and an Auxiliary cable to use to play music with. I have now started downloading podcasts on a Flash Drive and playing them via the USB port.
It's actually worse than simply missing a CD player on some of the newest cars. Many manufacturers now have consoles and dashes that make it very difficult to install an aftermarket CD player at all. In some new makes you literally have to install the CD player in the glove compartment to fit it.

New Hondas are fairly hostile to installing CD players in them.
Old 02-06-18, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That does kind of suck, but it has been a long time coming. Their music section has been slowly dwindling over the last couple of years, to what it is now. If it isn't something that came out this month, or one of the top 20 or so selling albums of all time, they aren't going to have it in store.
The article I read said it was due to their CD sales dipping to $40 million last year.

I wonder how they plan to use the same space to generate OVER 40 million dollars in a year?
Old 02-06-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr
The article I read said it was due to their CD sales dipping to $40 million last year.

I wonder how they plan to use the same space to generate OVER 40 million dollars in a year?
More toys to life figures? But great point. $40m is $40m.

Joking aside, CDs are clearly dying and if Best Buy doesn't adapt they become Circuit City or Sears.
Old 02-07-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't buy CD's anymore because the only place I listen to music is in my car, and my current car doesn't have a CD Player.
My car doesn't have a CD player and I still buy CDs; I just rip them to my computer, then sync the albums to my iPhone. IMO, it's way more convenient having fifteen digital albums sitting on my phone, than having to deal with swapping discs in and out of a player. When I rip the album, I do a one-to-one copy, so what's sitting on my phone is an exact copy of what was on the CD.
Old 02-07-18, 08:40 AM

I got a free copy of Metallica's newest CD nearly a year ago, and I still can't be bothered to rip it. I put all my music on a 32 GB thumb drive that pretty much stays in my car all the time unless I'm adding new music to it.
Old 02-07-18, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$40M sounds like gross sales which isn't that big a deal -- how much net just on the product? 40M on 40B gross sales.

Then how much cost of employee time is spent restocking, organizing, resetting, security, and of course what else could they put there to generate any sort of revenue on 100-200 sq ft of floor space per store. I'm going to guess several hours per week per store -- even at a superconservative 2 hrs per store per week for US 1000 150 in Canada -- $10/hr salary -- that appears to be $12M in salary and I'm guessing the net profit margin on CD is a bit short of 25% just to break even even if you were trying to tread water to generate foot traffic.
If I'm not mistaken, they do minimal maintenance, and vendor partners do the heavy lifting when it comes to organizing/stocking/merchandising the CDs, but my point was made. To me, $40 million is $40 million in today's retail landscape.
Old 02-07-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Hey, I'm complaining more about the lowering of the bar that streaming involves rather than the intentional blaming of the technology. Streaming would be really quite viable *if all the companies offered either uncompressed-16 bit, DRM-free .WAV audio or lossless .FLACs. But they do not. That a hard fact. 99% of music streaming is compressed mp3 or aac at garbage bitrates. This is "intentional" by the RIAA and streaming services, in order that they might save those extra pennies in bandwidth costs, all while charging the same or MORE for each song downloaded, as the equivalent CD cost per track.
I think it's part cost-savings, but also due to the fact that a good amount of customers don't know any better or care. If you sample 10 people, you may likely get a full 10 who wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and that's just a sad fact. People care so much about 4K UHD TVs, but then they use the built-in speakers instead of investing in the audio experience.
Old 02-07-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I truly can't remember the last CD I bought from BBY or BBY.com
I bought Partner's "In Search of Lost Time" from the website a few months back, but that's the only CD I've bought from Best Buy in years and years.

I guess the last album I bought for myself at a B&M would be Chvrches' "Every Open Eye" since Target had a couple exclusive bonus tracks. No idea what it would've been before that.

My CDs nowadays are probably a mix of amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com (when there's a coupon), eBay, or directly from a label/artist.
Old 02-07-18, 11:05 AM

The last CD I bought from Best Buy was probably Chinese Democracy, because that was the only place to buy it. And I bought it for like 5 bucks when they were clearancing them out.
Old 02-07-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I got a free copy of Metallica's newest CD nearly a year ago, and I still can't be bothered to rip it. I put all my music on a 32 GB thumb drive that pretty much stays in my car all the time unless I'm adding new music to it.
After the CD player died in the wife's car, I got her an ipod nano (yes, they still exist!)--easy navigation for albums, playlists, etc.
Old 02-07-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
My car doesn't have a CD player and I still buy CDs; I just rip them to my computer, then sync the albums to my iPhone. IMO, it's way more convenient having fifteen digital albums sitting on my phone, than having to deal with swapping discs in and out of a player. When I rip the album, I do a one-to-one copy, so what's sitting on my phone is an exact copy of what was on the CD.
Same here - I complained to both the dealership and manufacturer about that! It took 6 months for me to rip most of my collection to flac files. I must admit, it's far more convenient for the car, and that CD stays home, but it was a royal pain getting everything ripped properly. And the car player still won't play them seamless when tracks crossfade, etc. in spite of them being flac files! That meant additional special measures to keep such tracks properly intact for the car.
All? Wow... mine currently require over 300GB of space and I still purchase one or two CDs per month (I have a dozen or so waiting to be ripped right now). I don't even know if my car will handle a drive that large.

Even though I've not purchased a CD from BB in a very long time, this doesn't bode well for local distribution. WM has been a joke for a very long time, partly due to censorship but also selection, so this'll leave Target as the only viable local option (we have a Barns and Noble but the selection isn't that good). All the mom & pop "record" shops here closed years ago and Hasting shuttering last year was a major hit.
Old 02-07-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rjh_54
As far as sound quality goes, the general public just doesn't seem to care. I feel like people now only really care about the convenience of being able to listen to their music whenever or wherever regardless of how great or terrible the quality may be.
Sad really. Loudness war, what's that?
Old 02-07-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
If it weren't so sad, I'd be laughing when an almost 40-year old technology (16-bit 44.1 khz lossless digital PCM audio)
16/44? The last couple of years I've been buying almost all of my music in 24/96 or better.
Old 02-07-18, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

All? Wow... mine currently require over 300GB of space and I still purchase one or two CDs per month (I have a dozen or so waiting to be ripped right now). I don't even know if my car will handle a drive that large.
It's fine for me. I have a few hundred CD's, most of that was ripped and stored on the thumb drive. The vast majority of my collection was acquired in my teens and twenties. Now I probably buy less than 5 albums a year.

There's 3 thousand or so some odd songs on my thumb drive. My best friend thinks that's crazy. He has probably less than 300 songs on his.
Old 02-07-18, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Same here - I complained to both the dealership and manufacturer about that! It took 6 months for me to rip most of my collection to flac files. I must admit, it's far more convenient for the car, and that CD stays home, but it was a royal pain getting everything ripped properly. And the car player still won't play them seamless when tracks crossfade, etc. in spite of them being flac files! That meant additional special measures to keep such tracks properly intact for the car.

Even though I've not purchased a CD from BB in a very long time, this doesn't bode well for local distribution. WM has been a joke for a very long time, partly due to censorship but also selection, so this'll leave Target as the only viable local option (we have a Barns and Noble but the selection isn't that good). All the mom & pop "record" shops here closed years ago and Hasting shuttering last year was a major hit.
I have a 2016 car and surprisingly it has a CD player. It also has a hard drive which allows me to rip CDs onto it if I want to, but I'm also able to connect my phone via Bluetooth so I rarely use that feature, save for when I rip Target exclusive CDs for bonus tracks that aren't on Spotify and things of that nature.

As far as my local options, I'm afraid I really won't have many once BB and Target stop selling CDs. Of course, there's a Walmart near me, but they rarely ever have anything on sale so I'd be better off ordering from Amazon if Walmart is too expensive. It's funny, today I was thinking about going to pick up a certain CD and thought about Best Buy. The only reason I'm going there is because I have a Reward Zone certificate, but once that is used I am done giving them my business. Same goes for Target - so it looks like it'll be all Walmart from now on if I really want to buy locally. The two Barnes & Noble near me have no CD or DVD/Blu section, so that's not an option, which is fine since they're a bit pricey anyway.

For older albums we have two local record shops but their CD selections remain limited and sometimes overpriced, but I don't mind paying a little more if it's from a small business. Other than that I have some thrift stores near me, but you can never go into one of those stores looking for anything specific.

Last edited by rjh_54; 02-07-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I still listen to CDs in my car on occasion, but I can't remember the last one I purchased. I used to be very active in the live show trading community, all shows legally traded and not official releases. I've amassed a great number of shows, but the problem with dealing with those tracks is that they are all given very generic track names, often not including any info like song name or artist, just a track number and maybe a date. Burned onto a CD, that doesn't matter, but trying to add them to a mp3 player would be an organizational nightmare. I know I will likely be looking for a new car in the next couple of years, and I fear not having that CD option.

As much as a movie collector as I am now, I was once a CD collector. I live in a small town that's geographically isolated. Locally, I only had Camelot Music and Musicland at the mall from which to choose, aside from places like Wal-Mart that typically didn't have the type of music I was looking for. Best Buy was about an hour drive from where I lived, but it was like an oasis. They always had a good selection and good prices. I loved going through the rows of CDs to see all they had, coming across unexpected treasures. My nearest Best Buy has already been reduced to one small row of music. It's a shame to see all that ending, sort of an end of an era, but I suppose it was inevitable.
Old 02-07-18, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I still listen to CDs in my car on occasion, but I can't remember the last one I purchased.

As much as a movie collector as I am now, I was once a CD collector. I live in a small town that's geographically isolated. Locally, I only had Camelot Music and Musicland at the mall from which to choose, aside from places like Wal-Mart that typically didn't have the type of music I was looking for. Best Buy was about an hour drive from where I lived, but it was like an oasis. They always had a good selection and good prices. I loved going through the rows of CDs to see all they had, coming across unexpected treasures. My nearest Best Buy has already been reduced to one small row of music. It's a shame to see all that ending, sort of an end of an era, but I suppose it was inevitable.
The problem with my car is the interface is a little bit older, so although I can stream from my phone, it doesn't display the library up on the screen in my car, so if I want to select a different album or playlist I have to do it from my phone. Because of this I have to queue songs if I know what I want to listen to, otherwise I just use CDs - I find it much easier to just swap out a disc as opposed to having to pick up the phone, unlock it and scroll to where I want to get to - which I obviously couldn't even do if I was driving.

I also miss Best Buy's heyday when they had tons of rows of CDs. I always found so many good titles and even a few imports that were otherwise hard to find for a reasonable price.

Last edited by rjh_54; 02-07-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by rjh_54
The problem with my car is the interface is a little bit older, so although I can stream from my phone, it doesn't display the library up on the screen in my car, so if I want to select a different album or playlist I have to do it from my phone. Because of this I have to queue songs if I know what I want to listen to, otherwise I just use CDs - I find it much easier to just swap out a disc as opposed to having to pick up the phone, unlock it and scroll to where I want to get to - which I obviously couldn't even do if I was driving.

I also miss Best Buy's heyday when they had tons of rows of CDs. I always found so many good titles and even a few imports that were otherwise hard to find for a reasonable price.
All I have in my car is an auxiliary input, which actually doesn't work anymore. I don't even keep music on my phone much less have anywhere near my catalog. If I could just use a thumb drive to scroll through bunches of folders in my car, I'd probably listen to more music. As it is, I mainly listen to NPR now. I think that's a sure sign I'm getting old.
Old 02-07-18, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
All I have in my car is an auxiliary input, which actually doesn't work anymore. I don't even keep music on my phone much less have anywhere near my catalog. If I could just use a thumb drive to scroll through bunches of folders in my car, I'd probably listen to more music. As it is, I mainly listen to NPR now. I think that's a sure sign I'm getting old.
That's my other issue too, I have hundreds upon hundreds of CDs, but I don't have the time to sit there and search Spotify for everything I have on disc. Back before I had the car with the Bluetooth or aux, I would just grab whatever CD I was in the mood to listen to and I'd be good to go. On top of that, Spotify has a limit on how many songs you can save to your library - even for Premium users - so even if I had the time to search for and save everything I own, I wouldn't be able to.
Old 02-08-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still buy CDs somewhat regularly, but rarely listen to them anywhere but in the car. It's still nice to have a relatively high quality copy -- they've always seemed like a comfortable middle ground between quality (vinyl) and convenience (mp3s). I think what killed the market for them was a stauch refusal to drop prices on new and catalog releases: new releases were $15 or so 20 years ago, and they're still nearly that expensive in stores now. Absolutely NO single-disc new release should be more than $10 ever, and catalog stuff should be $5 at the most.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.