Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Toys R Us

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

R.I.P. Toys R Us

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: R.I.P. Toys R Us

A couple of key points that most people are missing (from the article posted above):

“We’re excited to offer Geoffrey’s Toy Box this holiday season to provide our customers with the opportunity to purchase a selection of toys once exclusive to Toys R Us,” Robert Clark, Kroger’s senior vice president of merchandising, said in a statement.

This marks the debut of Geoffrey's Toy Box, a venture by Toys R Us' one-time lenders who held onto the toy giant's corporate brand names and intellectual properties, including its iconic mascot, Geoffrey the giraffe.

A mix of 35 toys, costing from $19.99 to $49.99, will be for sale at various Kroger-owned grocery stores, including Ralphs, Smith's and Fred Meyer, as well as the Kroger namesake chain.

There isn't going to be a toy store inside the grocery store ... there are only 35 items being made available and those appear to have been TRU exclusive items that they couldn't return to the vendors. At best it is one bay of an aisle; more than likely it will be a standalone display in the floral area.
Old 07-18-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/busin...res/index.html

Slow start with 2 stores 1 in NJ and one in TX but more to come!
Old 07-19-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Bring back Tower Records next!
Old 07-19-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Bring back Tower Records next!
But not the prices.
Old 03-18-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

they may be back agian... seems like a good business plan... I mean what could go wrong with opening B&M stores even just the pop-up ones, during a pandemic?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/15/whp-...en-stores.html
Old 03-18-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

The Toys R Us stores in Canada seem to be surviving the pandemic, so far at least.
Old 03-18-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
they may be back agian... seems like a good business plan... I mean what could go wrong with opening B&M stores even just the pop-up ones, during a pandemic?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/15/whp-...en-stores.html
Seems like they want to open before the holidays. As vaccine rollouts happen and most parts of the US open up, and considering how much toy buying happens during Xmas, that's probably a decent thing to plan for.
Old 03-18-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Add to that the number of people who haven't seen friends or relatives in person and may want to take gifts ...
Old 07-18-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Toys 'R' Us is coming back. Soon, it'll be almost everywhere

Once left for dead, Toys "R" Us is making a major comeback. The toy store brand will be just about everywhere for the holidays.
Toys "R" Us will be in every US Macy's (M) in the next few months, part of an expanded partnership with the toy retailer's parent company, WHP Global.
The toy stores will range in size from 1,000 square feet in smaller locations to up to 10,000 square feet in flagship Macy's in Atlanta, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco. The Toys "R" Us footprints may expand during the peak holiday season.

The stores will open beginning in late July through October 15th. Macy's plans some customer-friendly perks, including demonstration tables for new toys and a life-size Geoffrey giraffe photo opp.

The once-storied toy store went bankrupt and closed all its stores in 2018. It has attempted several unsuccessful comebacks via various owners.But Toys "R" Us got a new lease on life last year thanks to Macy's partnership, when the two companies agreed to sell toys on Macy's website and opened shops-within-shops at 400 department stores. Toys "R" Us products have been available on Macy's website and ToysRUs.com since last August.
Old 07-18-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Oh cool. Oh wait
Toys "R" Us will be in every US Macy's (M) in the next few months
Yeah, not nearly the same thing.