Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Remember Those Freeshop Magazines?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Remember Those Freeshop Magazines?

Old 10-05-00, 07:41 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know the ones I'm talking about. You got a 90-day free trial, which you could cancel at any time, and you got freeride points for trying out the free trial. Some folks used an automated program and ordered all 800 mags, then cancelled immediately, racking up points for around a thousand dollars in Amazon GCs.

Well, for those of you who ordered and cancelled, check your credit card statements. I ordered around 10 or so, figuring I would cancel most of them, but at least I would take a look at the mags first. Then, before the mags were sent, enews cancelled all of my subscriptions. I got the points and Amazon GCs anyway. And I was smart enough to pay with a new Webcertificate that I figured not to fund unless I actually wanted one of the subscriptions.

Just yesterday, I got 10 emails. They tried to charge all 10 subscriptions to the webcertificate, even though they had cancelled them before they started, and even though they never sent any trial period mags. So, if any of you used a regular credit card to order, you may have a surprise when you get this month's statement.