Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

MY BestBuy Stupidity story.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

MY BestBuy Stupidity story.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-00, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading roger_d's "horror" story. I figured I would post my own BestBuy experience. It basically highlights their stupidity.

I actually received my $20 gift certificate right away. I went to their site and ordered ID4 to be picked up locally. Got my e-mail to print out and take in and pick it up. Went in and went to the DVD dept. Found an employee and asked what I needed to do to pick up my DVD. He told me to go up to customer service. Went there and waited and waited and waited until the lady could finally ask me what I needed. I told her and she says to go to the DVD dept. I explained that I was just there and was sent up to her. She rolled her eyes and muttered something to the effect of "jesus christ do I have to do everything around here". She YELLS for a manager and another guy comes over. He looks at my slip and says it's back in shipping and receiving and starts to tell me where to go to get there. I give him my best "Don't even finish that thought" look - and amazingly he is a smart cookie and stops halfway through and says "wait here - I'll go get it for you". So I wait for about five minutes and finally he comes back with my movie. They make a photocopy of my e-mail with all their information on it and have me sign it showing I took the DVD. I start to leave and the manager comments that I am only the 2nd person to do this (the first guy bought a TV - wonder what he went through to get that!) and he hopes I enjoyed ordering off their site.

One would think it ends here, but in about a week and a half I received an e-mail saying I must pick up my order or if I did already to let them know what my experience was. I replied and told them I picked it up etc. etc. About 2 weeks later I get ANOTHER e-mail telling me to pick up my order. I reply again that I did and that I already told them that. Then about two weeks later I received, yes a third "three strikes and your out e-mail" telling me my order was cancelled. This time I didn't reply hoping that if they are really this stupid maybe I'll get the $20 gift certificate put back in my account. Alas they may be stupid, but they aren't generous.

All in all I'm happy I got the movie for like a buck nineteen, but I don't think I would pay their high prices and go through this again.

Provided for you amusement.
Old 09-19-00, 11:39 PM

if i were you i would have done EXACTLY as the email instructed and picked up the movie again and again and again...

[This message has been edited by davidave (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 12:10 AM

davidave- Believe me, the thought crossed my mind. For some reason my emaciated consience won out. I guess I figured that the store at least would know I picked it up and I didn't want to get nabbed for stealing or some such thing.

To paraphrase striptease "I don't have any morals and even I wouldn't do that."
Old 09-20-00, 11:11 AM

MagicRat,
Oh my gosh, this is the same thing that happend to me! Except when I got there the lady at the counter told me to go get the movie then bring it back up, which I did. Then I waited and waited, another guy asked if he could help me and I handed him the email and movie. He said "we have the movie for you up here, you are not supposed to go get it yourself". I was like ok, but the other lady told me to go get it. Then he said I owed him .89 cents. I said no, they are charging my credit card. He looked at the email again and said ok. Then he tried to do something on the computer and I guess the internet was down. He then tried to tell me that I would have to come back. I told him no I would not do that since I had already paid for it and was just here to pick it up. Finally he called someone, I guess the home office, and they said to copy the email and make me sign.
And just like you I have received an email telling me that I need to go pick my movie up.
I will just pay the shipping next time and save myself the hassle!
Judy
Old 09-22-00, 12:24 AM
Banned

Yea, Bestbuy is suck, as they say. I just got a $5.00 coupon for the Sting concert givaway thing and though, what the hell, it'll pay for postage. Of course I forgot the mystery incidentals charges. Here is what on of the many order pages showed:

Product Total:
$9.99

Order Charge:
$2.00

Shipping Total:
$0.99

Subtotal:
$12.98

Hmm, a $2.00 order charge for a $9.99 item? Why not just say $2.99 shipping/handling and be honest? When all was said and done I could have driven to a Bestbuy and paid almost the same thing as door-to-door delivery with the coupon. Oh well

-coco
Old 09-22-00, 06:09 PM
Cool New Member

A Best Buy just opened locally--I never went to one. Afterwards, all I can say is the online world is safe for DVDs! Nothing was priced in a way that made me reconsider (OFFICE SPACE was priced at $27--hello? It's $14.99 at Buy.com). I'll check the other departments later.