Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So where do we go now for pre-orders?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

So where do we go now for pre-orders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-00, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just switched from Amazon where I was getting DVDs a week after their release to DVD Empire which I've heard nothing but good things about.. I order 1 disc Tales of Terror which was released today and now its listed as 'on order'. I thought of trying DVD Planet but they don't have it in stock either.. DVD Express.. well, from what I've heard I'm not trying them.. Buy.com? I hear they're good but if something goes wrong and you don't get your order shipped early, good luck getting it at all and forget about cancelling..
I even called Best Buy and Circuit City neither of those have it..

Somebody has to have this damn DVD somewhere so where do we go? I'm just trying to find a decent store with decent prices that gets their orders out on time or a little early.. Is that too much to ask?
Old 09-19-00, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy.com is the place to go buddy! Not only do they offer good prices but they also have offered a ton of coupons that you can use on pre-orders or whatever you please.

You might have a little delay in getting your DVD's on time (happenned to me once in almost 2 yrs) but other than that they're really good.

You can't beat good prices + coupons + fast delivery. Buy.com rules!
Old 09-19-00, 03:58 PM

I tried Buy.com a few weeks ago. 2 books shipped pretty quickly while there was a holdup on my Titus DVD, but I got it. I'm considering them since they say they have it in stock. I'm just worried there will be a problem

Other than that I'm looking at 800.com, they have it in stock and have cheap shipping. They were always good in the past.
Old 09-19-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Terminator...Buy.com!!! Best prices on preorders!!!! Coupons seem to be drying up since their free shipping promotion but with the holidays coming more are on the horizon!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.a...46%40aol%2Ecom

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-19-00, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other from my POV. Buy may have the best price, but they currently owe me 3 DVDs from almost a month ago now. They are good w/ popular titles, but anything that is a bit out of the ordinary usually takes awhile The main thing I hate about Buy is they will have something listed as available to ship but once you put in the order it becomes an "on order" item DVDexpress and DVDempire both control their own inventories so if they say they have it to ship they do

JMO, personally if DVDexpress has it and you want it I'd order it from there. The main reason I don't order as much from there anymore is price. Aside from that I've always been happy w/ the selection and service.
Old 09-19-00, 04:24 PM

Unfortunately DVD Express doesn't have it. And I wouldn't think Tales of Terror is really popular so I'm worried about trying Buy.com.. Bleh.
Old 09-19-00, 04:37 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jae2:
I just switched from Amazon where I was getting DVDs a week after their release to DVD Empire which I've heard nothing but good things about.. I order 1 disc Tales of Terror which was released today and now its listed as 'on order'. I thought of trying DVD Planet but they don't have it in stock either.. DVD Express.. well, from what I've heard I'm not trying them.. Buy.com? I hear they're good but if something goes wrong and you don't get your order shipped early, good luck getting it at all and forget about cancelling..
I even called Best Buy and Circuit City neither of those have it..

Somebody has to have this damn DVD somewhere so where do we go? I'm just trying to find a decent store with decent prices that gets their orders out on time or a little early.. Is that too much to ask?
<HR>

Not too much to ask....the bottom line is that we were just told that MGM had replication problems and this is reason why you cannot find it anywhere else. Keep an eye on the site for updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 09-19-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Still shopping at everyone's favorite site Amazon.com, last 200 dvds have been free.

Kahuna

Old 09-19-00, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by kahuna:
Still shopping at everyone's favorite site Amazon.com, last 200 dvds have been free.

Kahuna

<HR>

You can't beat that statement!

------------------

"Your reaction is better than I had hoped."

Legato Bluesummers - TRIGUN
Old 09-20-00, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one big problem with buy.com is that the Australian division doesn't have any region 1 (naturally) so the selection is extremly limited.

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 09-20-00, 03:56 PM

One of the best reasons to go with Buy.com is their shipping.

They are one of the few vendors out there that charge for shipping per ORDER, not per SHIPMENT.

If you order 10 titles and they ship one per week nearly everyone else charges around $30 while Buy charges about $11.50--a considerable savings!
Old 09-20-00, 04:04 PM

Well I decided to go with Buy.com and to my surprise after ordering Tales of Terror yesterday, it was shipped last night 2nd day air and is already in my area. Hoping I get it today!

If they can keep this up I might try them more often.
Old 09-21-00, 12:04 PM

Buyer beware (literally) about Buy.com:

Their "in stock" info is misleading, since Buy.com doesn't stock their own goods. I pre-ordered "Spinal Tap" a couple weeks before the release date, and even though their page said it "Usually Ships within 24-48 hours" I still hadn't gotten it a week after the release date.

Tried to cancel the order and got an error on the site, so I had to call them to cancel. (800.com shipped it the same day.)

My pre-order luck with them is 50-50: some arrive before the release date, others well after. (One showed up a month late!) But worst is their customer service: though they say they'll contact you if there's a delay, I had to ask them why "Tap" was late -- and then their reply was minimal, without apologies, and inaccurate ("We have contacted our warehouse and they have informed us that sku #40140863 will ship either 09/15 or 09/17." -- it never did).

Another time, after I cancelled a title for similar reasons, I got the item a few days later. After I returned it, I never got a credit. Arrrgh!
Old 09-21-00, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really haven't experienced any of the bad buy.com stories. Whenever I need to cancel an order, or part of an order, it is done instantly, showing up as cancelled the next day or so. I've gotten all my preorders early except for planet of the apes box set (day of release), and Hellraiser LE, which I ordered kinda late, so I didn't expect to get it very soon. My most recent story would be that I ordered Gladiator (the good one), then it showed up for $16.99. I gave them a call, and the guy changed the price while I was on the phone.

All this, plus their video games are cheaper than anywhere else, and I got my Yamaha RXV596 receiver for $343.99 !

------------------
"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent. Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get." -- Pearl Jam - Soon Forget