Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

When was this change made on Best Buy Reward Zone?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Used to be if you financed a large purchase, you'd get points on your purchases. I just purchased $2,000 worth of washer and dryer and they are now telling me since I financed the purchase, I don't get a single point for it. What the fuck is that shit? What good is the program anymore if you are basically penalizing people for making large purchases?

I think I'm about done shopping at BB outside of the Gamers Club Unlocked.
Old 12-27-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: When was this change made on Best Buy Reward Zone?

I just did some searching, and apparently this was a change they made last year: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/ideas/v...age/1#comments

What a bunch of ****s. Well, all my future business is going somewhere else. No reason to shop there anymore on large purchases if I don't get rewarded. All my large purchases will go to Amazon now.
Old 12-27-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, when I bought a laptop last year and a TV this year the options were either to finance or to get the points.
Old 12-27-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Hadn't heard, but that is a strange policy.
Old 12-27-14, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I barely shop at Best Buy anymore. I like supporting Brick and Mortar stores but since they have made all these changes to the reward programs I just figure...why bother? They sure don't go out of their way anymore for Reward members.
Old 12-27-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

It used to be you still received points but got no bonus points. I agree that is crock you get nothing.
Old 12-27-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah I bought a new TV and a few Bds this past summer and put it on my BB card. The register said that I could finance it and get 0 points or use it as a standard credit card and get points. I opted for the no-interest financing. The My Best Buy RZ program is pretty much worthless these days.
Old 12-27-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

To be fair, Best Buy is barely remaining in business these days. Some management consultant saw how much the points were costing them and decided to axe them in this case. The current management probably regrets ever instituting Reward Zone memberships. They've nickel-and-dimed the program to a point where it's basically worthless.
Old 12-27-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree that the reward zone membership is basically useless compared to what it was in the past. However, I don't blame Best Buy completely since Amazon Prime raised their rates and now charge tax for me. Most membership/rewards programs are just not that good anymore.
Old 12-28-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 439 Likes on 301 Posts

Yeah I noticed the same thing back in May when I financed a dryer... and if you use the financing option the purchase doesn't count towards the $1500/$3500 dollar requirement for Elite/Elite Plus either.

This year will probably see the dollar requirements for Elite/Elite Plus raised (or Elite eliminated all together) and the return window reduced even further (Elite 21 days/Elite Plus 30 days).
Old 12-28-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
To be fair, Best Buy is barely remaining in business these days. Some management consultant saw how much the points were costing them and decided to axe them in this case. The current management probably regrets ever instituting Reward Zone memberships. They've nickel-and-dimed the program to a point where it's basically worthless.
Actually look at their latest financials. They are sort of making a pretty good comeback. Revenue and profits are up. Many are optimistic that the trend will continue.

Still pisses me off that I somehow missed this. I mean, they had the best price on the washer/dryer I bought, but absurd that they took this function away.

Last edited by Deftones; 12-28-14 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-28-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Meathead
Yeah I noticed the same thing back in May when I financed a dryer... and if you use the financing option the purchase doesn't count towards the $1500/$3500 dollar requirement for Elite/Elite Plus either.
Hmm, unless they're being nice with the Elite membership, I think my TV purchase last week that I financed counted as I just got an email that I made it to Elite status.
Old 12-28-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only bought a handful of small purchases at BB this past year collectively as a whole and I've gotten more "free" $5 certs than any I had actually earned. Didn't quite understand that.

Their credit card is garbage as it is. I guess promotional financing as its advantages but I could never get a CLI so it was never worth it for me to have the card open, along with the yearly membership fee.
Old 12-29-14, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly didn't you have to pay for the Reward Zone when if first came out? I think it was 10 for the year. You got 5 dollars for every 100 spent, then they made it free...but you got 5 for every 250 spent.
Old 12-29-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hmm, unless they're being nice with the Elite membership, I think my TV purchase last week that I financed counted as I just got an email that I made it to Elite status.
yes. financed purchases do count toward elite/elite plus status. just not toward points accrual.
Old 12-30-14, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

This year will probably see the dollar requirements for Elite/Elite Plus raised (or Elite eliminated all together) and the return window reduced even further (Elite 21 days/Elite Plus 30 days).
I thought that while the purchase doesn't provide points, it still counted towards the annual spending for elite /elite plus qualifications. If this is true, they really are killing this program....
Old 12-30-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It seems like it does count, see my post and Deftones reply right above.
Old 12-30-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 439 Likes on 301 Posts

It may be random then or they didn't for a certain financing promo. I know I never got the dollar credit for the purchase I financed. I guess I should have followed up more than I did. In the end it wouldn't have mattered as I was nowhere near the elite plus requirement.
Old 12-30-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I got my card when they started the program. Going through my wallet a few weeks ago I realized that the thing hadn't been taken out in close to 2 years. I put it in the shredder as I don't anticipate going to BB enough to justify the added card being in there.
Old 01-06-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
If I remember correctly didn't you have to pay for the Reward Zone when if first came out? I think it was 10 for the year. You got 5 dollars for every 100 spent, then they made it free...but you got 5 for every 250 spent.
Every time they changed it (for the worse) it was "because of customer demand" or "to better serve the customer."

I love Best Buy's current gaming discount program, but I'm under no illusion that it's not going to radically change before my two years is up.
Old 01-07-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$2K for a washer and dryer!? So it folds the clothes for you too... that's awesome!
Old 01-07-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Of course not, that is what my wife is for.
Old 01-15-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

... and if you use the financing option the purchase doesn't count towards the $1500/$3500 dollar requirement for Elite/Elite Plus either.
just wanted to confirm this isn't true. i got an email the other day saying I'm not Elite status as a result of my purchase.
Old 01-15-15, 05:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
just wanted to confirm this isn't true. i got an email the other day saying I'm not Elite status as a result of my purchase.
not or now ?
Old 01-15-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Now. Sorry. Stupid phone

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.