Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BUY.COM : good, or not so good?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BUY.COM : good, or not so good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-00, 10:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious, is buy.com a good or bad store?
I read a post about some guy getting an opened and (on top of that) scratched disc. Do they usually send out unsealed/opened discs..? How's their updating on what's in stock and what's not, and do they package the discs properly when shipping? How are they compared to Express (whom I have very good experiences from)? Sorry for all these questions, but after making the mistake to order from cduniverse.com, I feel it's best to ask customers of the respective stores before ordering from 'em.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-05-00, 10:31 PM

i for one can say that buy.com is a great place. i've always received my pre-orders a few days before street, they have coupons every now and then and their shipping isn't bad either. aside from the reel.com mess, which only delayed my orders a little, they are a great place to buy dvds!
Old 09-05-00, 10:39 PM
Cool New Member

kwbdc: reel.com mess..?
Old 09-05-00, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David, when REEL went out of business in June, BUY handled all of their orders and it wasn't in a very orderly fashion. Check the archieves of DVDTALK and you'll see dozens of posts about it. I'm still waiting on my Reel orders...
Old 09-05-00, 10:56 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
It's hit and miss with Buy actually. I never get pre-orders before street date, usually 3 days after. Their customer service is crap, and that's giving them something. The low prices they offer show when customer service doesn't answer questions for 3 or 4 weeks after repeated emails to them. They have good low prices but if you don't want a hassle, find somewhere else. I wish Reel was still back in business, they knew how to run a company, but not manage their finances
Old 09-05-00, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

ahh, okay.. thanks!
Old 09-06-00, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

buy.com is crap. I had repo man and boogie nights on preorders, still havent received either and they say it's due to a problem withthe manufacturer. Also When I ordered The alien legacy on DVD they charged my CC WITHOUT shipping it. The CSR told me it was shipped through UPS so i asked for the tracking number. She said (and i quote) "I've never heard of UPS supplying tracking numbers for their shipments." I could not believe she had the gall to say that. 3 months later no alien legacy and no refund. i had to dispute the charges. I hope this company crumbles soon.
Old 09-06-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy.com is great. Haven't had a single problem with any of my orders in about 1.5 years that I've been dealing with them.

They are the only ones still issuing decent coupons that you can use on pre-orders or whatever the heck you please.

It's my #1 store to purchase all my pre-orders. Give them a try.

Terminator
Old 09-07-00, 01:48 AM

gotta agree with terminator. buy.com gets a lot of crap for the reel.com transfers, but let's be reasonable, they had to transfer all of reel's customer profiles and orders and then adjust the prices and all the trivia coupons...etc. this is not an easy task! granted, they could have updated customers more with info regarding their orders but i think they did the best they could, and with reel out of the picture, who else even comes close to issuing coupons every other week?? buy.com gets my business, i think that you should give them a shot and see if they can meet your needs. they meet mine.
Old 09-07-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had minor problems with Buy....most of the time their service is excellent...I usually see preorders a day or two prior to their release dates!!!
Old 09-07-00, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
They don't seem to be very good at updating order status in your account. I'd been waiting a long time for my reel.com transfer. It had been a pre-order, but when things were settled at buy, I was told that it was out of stock. After waiting a long time having it listed as "processing" or "sent to warehouse" (I can't even remember which now) I got sick of it & clicked the "cancel" button - not knowing that it is not an automatic cancel, but merely a request to cancel if possible. Well, the dvd arrived the next day - proving that the site lied to me. I've only ordered from them one other time & everything was fine. & I have a couple things on order with them now. Couldn't pass up those $10 off $30 coupons. So if you're sure you won't change your mind about your choices, I say give them a try.

[This message has been edited by Lokimok (edited September 07, 2000).]
Old 09-07-00, 04:30 AM

Buy.com handled six Reel.com transfers for roughly 25 to 30 titles extremely well for me. Most were pre-orders, and I only have one title left. When orders came across with erroneous prices, a call to a CSR always, A-L-W-A-Y-S, brought complete satisfaction.

I feel very sorry about those who have had problems. I can't explain it other than some have good luck and others bad.

Subsequent to the transfers, I have relied on Buy.com because of low prices and coupons, and I continue to have good luck, including book orders, too. BTW, they are about the lowest priced bookseller around, too.

I suggest you try them and see how they work for you. I have had some trouble with every online etailer at one time or another, but Buy.com has been clearly one of the best for me.

My personal worst are BigStar and CDNow, although CDNow seems to have improved since the buy-out.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 09-07-00, 05:06 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

David--

I see you live in Sweeden. One of the problems that our international correspondents said they had with buy.com is that they apparently will not ship out of the U.S.A.

I never verified this independently. Buy.com usually gets it right, but when they screw up, they are notorious for having lousy customer service, and an attitude that "the customer is always wrong."

So, those who have not been on the wrong side of a buy.com mishap will have nothing but praise for them. Those who have been on the wrong side of a buy.com mishap will tell you horror stories.
Old 09-07-00, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hal2000:

I feel very sorry about those who have had problems. I can't explain it other than some have good luck and others bad.

My personal worst are BigStar and CDNow, although CDNow seems to have improved since the buy-out.

<HR>

yea i guess i just wasn't meant to shop at buy.com. I actually have had the best service with CDNOW believe it or not. Never had an item backordered and sometimes i would get my shipment in 1 day with regular shipping.

Old 09-07-00, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been lucky and gotten nothing buy good service from Buy.com. I hope my luck holds out because they are the only place left for good deals.
Old 09-07-00, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

Hoc: hehe, yeah.. when looking into buy.com's shippingmethods n' stuff I saw that they didn't ship outside USA.. bummer. Guess I'll stick with Express then. Too bad that they don't have as many coupons n' stuff as buy.com has.
Old 09-07-00, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never had a problem with BUY.COM... they usually have very good prices.
Old 09-07-00, 07:07 PM
Cool New Member

I am going through the worst time ever with Buy.com

Used to love them- always got pre orders on or before street date- Good prices.
Now I am stuck in "On Order" hell for the last week end a half. % of the 8 movies street date has passed and the status is till "On Order". Everyday I call and talk to a different supervisor who says either today or tomorrow it will ship- Guess what...I am going to be farting smoke rings for the next month on account of all the smoke blown up my ass in the last 2 weeks. Working in customer service myself, i know the easiest way to get a customer off the phone is to tell them what they want to hear, Buy.coms problem is that they don't ever back it up with action.

That's my rant for the day,
Thanks for listening
Old 09-07-00, 08:30 PM

I've had virtually no problems with buy. I've been getting my pre-orders ahead of the street date (with one exception, Naked Gun 33 1/3 which finally arrived last week, but it's still sealed, so you know how important it was for me to receive it on time :eek . In addition, with the 10 off 30 coupons I regularly combine a pre-order with a title that is already out, and they ship the released title right away with no added shipping charges. buy is currently my #1 e-tailer.
Old 09-08-00, 03:01 PM
Banned

I hate them. My Edward Scissorhands is still "on Order." Bastard sons of bitches!!
Old 09-08-00, 07:00 PM

Just a note here...

I've found that actually CALLING buy.com's CS line, you WILL get things done. They're very quick in the past couple of times I have called, and you can get an order sorted out in about a minute.

On the other hand, many of you seem to like to rely on e-mail for one reason or another. This is a bad idea. I rarely get responses to my e-mail's and many times it takes them a little over a week to get back to me. Just taking 5 minutes to call customer service will alleviate your headaches and get what you needed done...
Old 09-08-00, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my problems with Buy.com in the past but last weekend I used the 3 10.00 off 30.00 coupons. I ordered 1 pre-order for 10/31 and the other 6 were listed as in-stock. As of 9/8 I have received all the 6 titles that were listed as in-stock. I'am happy with them for now but from the past they can be very bad.
Old 09-09-00, 01:47 AM

As relayed in other threads, the Buy customer service people are awful. While some of them will communicate you what the status of your order is (i.e., it's not coming for "a while"), there is really nothing they will do to expedite your order, even if you pre-ordered it! Everything is always "on order."

I got lucky with Stranger Than Paradise and Edward Scissorhands. But I'm still waiting on Evil Dead 2 Tin and North by Northwest, both pre-orders which have been out for weeks.