Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's fluctuating prices on DVDs revealed.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon's fluctuating prices on DVDs revealed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-00, 01:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I check out this web site for DVD news every morning. Today, in their "news" section (link provided below) was a story about Amazon's fluctuating prices. Apparently, they have been experimenting with varying prices for different customers. The key piece of info is that your cookies determine the price you get. I assume that if you've purchased from Amazon before, than they are going to give you a higher price. I could be wrong, though. I guess someone could experiment with trashing their cookies to see if they get a different price. Anyway...
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/news.html

Cygnet74
Old 09-06-00, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Boy...

You may also want to check this thread where this matter has been discussed lately...
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005161.html

[This message has been edited by Count Zero (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old 09-06-00, 02:09 PM

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005161.html
Old 09-06-00, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised people are still ordering through Amazon....at least avoid them for a period of time to show them your disapproval with their pricing system!!! I honestly believe we here at DVDTALK could make a difference regarding a boycott!!! First, they raise prices(as did Express.com at the same time...geez, this wasn't planned together now was it?) and then they are caught charging people different prices for the same item!! What is their response when confronted with this?? Initially, CSR denied this was going on....then, once they know the s..t has hit the fan, they admit to everybody what everyone has already found out!!! Their answer to this is....well we will credit anyone who did not receive the lowest price!!!! So if no one realizes they were conned into paying a higher price, Amazon is not going to do anything about it!!! Goodbye Amazon!!!
Old 09-06-00, 03:06 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
It looks like they copied the whole CNet article and added their 2 cents in at the bottom without giving Cnet credit.

Here's the direct link
http://www.dvdreview.com/news/pokenews.asp?news_id=2619
Old 09-07-00, 08:05 PM
Banned

Here's a example of the price changes at Amazon! I recenlty ordered the kevin Spacey movie "Swimming with Sharks" on DVD. The price I was charged was 17.97! i took another look at this order as it was"Shipping soon". I clicked on the DVD and I just found out that they are now charging 19.99 plus 1,95 special surcharge! Does this qualify as a price change at Amazon?At least I got my dvd at the lower price!