Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it time to AVOID Amazon?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is it time to AVOID Amazon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given their multitiered pricing policy of late and their new privacy policy, combined with their late shipping of preorders, is it time to say sayonara?

I know many with GCs will blast this, but maybe it's time to get the people giving GCs to offer them to somewhere else? I know I would much rather get DVDEmpire GCs though I don't think they have a GC program yet.

Amazon's service has also gone downhill lately. I am fed up and pulling some business from them. I will use my future GCs for other stuff or get GCs for elsewhere if possible. Don't know if others feel this way, but would like to hear.
Old 09-06-00, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, I must grudgingly agree. However, I have to wonder if DVDEmpire or any other e-tailer would be able to handle the volume of orders that Amazon does. And if DVDEmpire (not picking on them, just an example) were to get the higher traffic, would their prices still be as low?

I will continue to do business with Amazon, but I will keep a suspicious eye on them while doing so. It is hard for me to stop because so many of my DVDs come from them with no out-of-pocket cost primarily thanks to FreeRide, etc.

------------------
Tom Perconti -
A cheapskate's DVD Collection...now on DVD Profiler online!
Old 09-06-00, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before you decide to continue doing business with them, read about their new "improved" privacy policy too: http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005181.html

In another thread I outlined what I did in response: http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/012521.html

JMO
Old 09-06-00, 02:26 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just the multi-layered price scheme, and late delivery of pre-orders, would not make me avoid Amazon. Price is my main concern, and I go for the best price, as long as I can get the product in a reasonable time. Now that Amazon cost more then most, combined with the two things above, I skip them more and more. The real kicker was the Iron Monkey (1993) order I placed 4 months ago. Their site said 48 hours to deliver, and 3 months later I never did got it. All I got was an email every month telling me I needed to give them permission to continue looking for it. Last time I checked their site still says 48 hours till delivery. Almost all of their Hong Kong movies take longer then their site claims to get to you. I think I am going to skip Amazon from now on.

quote:<HR>Well, I must grudgingly agree. However, I have to wonder if DVDEmpire or any other e-tailer would be able to handle the volume of orders that Amazon does. <HR>

I think express.com already does. In fact I think they do more then any other online store for dvds...
Old 09-06-00, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Consider Amazon avoided!!!
Old 09-06-00, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I'm continuing using them at this point because of the GCs but I agree with what you're saying. They really need to stop that pricing fluctuation. It's too bad there aren't more GCs available for Buy.com or other more reliable stores. I have a feeling Amazon is making more attractive offers to the companies that pay out in GCs than other etailers are which is why their GCs are so prevalent. The fact that I can stack them and that their online ordering capabilities (being able to easily, successfully change or delete orders) are so nice keeps me coming back for now.

When I have cash to spend though I typically always use it somewhere else.
Old 09-06-00, 05:28 PM
Banned

1)huge box for 2 dvd's (I had to pick-up from the post office
2)NEVER recieved a pre-order before Friday (3 days after the release)!
3)MIB has yet to ship / no e-mail from amazon

If those movies were not free (jaboom / firstlook), I would avoid amazon. Buy.com would be my first choice. Now, that I am earning Best Buy giftcards, I think I've seen the last of amazon!!

Jonathan

------------------
37 free dvd's / 35 under $10 / the rest....I can't believe what I paid for them!!
Old 09-06-00, 06:34 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sracer:
Well, I must grudgingly agree. However, I have to wonder if DVDEmpire or any other e-tailer would be able to handle the volume of orders that Amazon does. And if DVDEmpire (not picking on them, just an example) were to get the higher traffic, would their prices still be as low?

I will continue to do business with Amazon, but I will keep a suspicious eye on them while doing so. It is hard for me to stop because so many of my DVDs come from them with no out-of-pocket cost primarily thanks to FreeRide, etc.

<HR>

Sracer:

Steve from DVDEmpire.com in response to your question. Actually, we are the third largest online e-tailer for DVDs as ranked by the leading trade industry journal. As such, our volume of business is not that indifferent to our competitors.

Our advantage....we do our own fulfilment and we are not located in California. Since we do our own fulfillment, it allows us to manage our customer relations a bit better...as well as keep our prices more competitive. Not being in CA allows a broader customer reach since we have no worries regarding sales tax to CA residents...an savings to the customer.

Overall....we have been growing dramatically over the past 6 months and we have not missed a beat...atleast not one that was caused by studio shortages.

If you have any further questions....drop me a message.

Thanks,
Steve

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 09-06-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been cancelling most of my Amazon pre-orders and placing the order with Buy.com...I will save my GC's for things I can't get elsewhere. If summer weren't over I would pick up a nice Weber grill .

Amazon is PISSING ME OFF...that whole privacy policy thing is for sh!t. Can't wait till those people who beat up DoubleClick latch onto Amazon, say bye-bye to their stock.
Old 09-06-00, 10:37 PM

It seems so. I'm still waiting for my Evil Dead II to ship and NOW it says I shouldn't expect it until at least the 11th. I thought the point of preordering was to get it as soon as it came out not two weeks later.

I've been cashing out for webcertificates at Freeride which I use at Buy.com. The couple hundred more points is made up for by way cheaper prices and you can use them with the current Buy.com coupons.

Once my current preorders with Amazon are over I doubt I'll order from them heavily again.
Old 09-06-00, 10:58 PM

I really feel upset about the way amazon is handling themselves right now.

1. That price difference for the returning customer is preposterous. I can't believe that is the way they value me as a consistant customer. I think it is also deceitful and maybe even a violation of my privacy. How does putting a cookie into my harddrive to charge me benefit me in any way?

2. Their prices are getting out of control. I know that the days of Reel are gone, but damn, I can go to ANY retail store and buy movies for cheaper now. I went to the fricking mall and saw movies for cheaper there and i have always felt that malls charge more than anyone else.

3. They send out preorders very slowly. Although they are always dependable, they don't even attempt to go that extra mile for their customer to allow them to get their movies on the street date. What would a day before hurt?

4. My most important reason, Jaboom, in my mind, is dead. I now do the easier magic bus thing, which i am doing now as i type. It is sooo much easier than Jaboom. Anyway, i think that i will no longer be purchasing Amazon GCs. Hell, i may consider purchasing CDNOW(!) GCs before going back to Amazon, unless they straighten up.

doug
Old 09-06-00, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, I have been avoiding Amazon for quite a long time now. I don't click for DVD's so without any GC's their prices are not good at all.

I use Buy.com because of their coupons and because they've never messed up my orders.
Old 09-07-00, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been following the online DVD stores for years now and when you think about it over the years you come to one conclusion:

They're all as bad as each other.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 09-07-00, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dont know if this has been posted already, but this is an interesting article after amazon announces it's new privacy policy...... http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200...tch..ne2711416
Old 09-07-00, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You people fail to realize that Buy.com, and other online stores are not any better, in terms of privacy.

Buy.com really pisses me off with there java applet banners, they freeze my internet connection of my monster computer. Buy.com banners have web bugs in the cookies and graphics that track everything you do, and reports it to thier ad agency partners. So, privacy with online stores is something you WON'T find on the internet. It's True, It's da*n sure is True!

------------------
Say, can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper...

Magus - Chrono Trigger

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited September 07, 2000).]
Old 09-07-00, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate the internet.......
Old 09-07-00, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really gave up on ordering online..I pay usually 2 dollars more,or in some cases,LESS, and get the product right in fornt of me..why pre-order Braveheart when you can get it at damn Best Buy for $15.99? Maybe you save 3.00? No, shipping....

Either way, a KEY factor is I don't want to wait for my discs..during the heyday, at 6 bucks a DVD, a wait was a wait, screw it...
Now that we are paying close to what retail stores offer...
I'll pass.
Man, Wal-Mart is even carting ut movies EARLY!

And, to top it all off, I was disgusted by Amazon's brass ones...I don't need to be tagged and tracked like a damn shark..it implies that:
A. They are gonna pimp my info and flood me with junkmail the minute they drop in the ol' profit margin...

B. They do not trust me, and are playing all sorts of weird games..multi-prices, etc.

I'll take a flying pass on this one, and go directly to the mall, where I can physically look at my t2:UE, and make sure it is two discs..and open it up in the store to double check with NO HASSLES.

Nice and tidy, no?