Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 12:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

Originally Posted by Rob V
Amazon is successful because they offer the convenience of FAST SHIPPING. If they take that away and then start to add sales tax then it'll destroy their business model and more and more people will go to different sources.
Originally Posted by davidh777
But I don't think we're covering any ground we haven't already covered many times before. Everyone uses Amazon differently and will base the usefulness and cost-effectiveness of Prime on their own needs.
Exactly. Rob's two important points mean absolutely nothing to me. I mentioned speed of shipping being irrelevant and sales tax is a legal requirement whether Amazon takes it out ahead of time or not. But I know that some people think these or other parts of the process are important.

But the more I think about the inevitable price jump and decision that I'll have to make, the more I think that $99 is the absolute most I'd pay for the combined shipping/streaming/book borrowing benefit. Perhaps they'll add more perks to it when they raise the price.
Old 02-05-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Interestingly enough, Newegg is rolling out Newegg premier, basically $50 for 3 day shipping, free returns, and some exclusive deals.

I always thought the whole thing with Prime was to get people to want to use their investment and buy as much as possible from Amazon.
Old 02-06-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure how you wouldn't be clear, a lot of people order 1 or 2 items that are under $25 or $35, especially movies.
But you're still paying for shipping, just in a lump sum. It makes more financial sense to group two items and just get free shipping.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not sure if I'll stay in if they increase the price. I used to be happy just "spending up" to get to $25 and free shipping. From 2009 to 2011 I averaged about 60 orders per year. I halfway relunctanctly bought Prime thanks to a coupon deal. The last two years I've placed 120 orders each year. It helps not having to find things to add. In the past I missed a few deals due to delays in searching. Getting to $35 will be tough for a cheapskate like me though. I see I'm just rambling and not sure what I'll end up doing.
Holy shit. Never mind. Now I know who Prime is for. I thought ordering once a month was excessive.

Originally Posted by Preterite
Prime is all about instant gratification. I get all of my non-Prime shipments within two weeks of placing my order, and that's fast enough for me. I have to wait a bit and combine items for the free shipping instead of placing orders more frequently, but that's hardly a hardship. If I absolutely need an item in a hurry, I'll pay for the shipping and still come out ahead over forking over the cash for Prime.

Of course, I have been assured on this forum that anyone who is not willing to fork over an additional $80 a year for shipping is simply too poor to be buying non-essential items like books and movies.
Thats why I pay Barnes and Nobel $25 a year to get free two day shipping on books and movies, etc. For the impulse buy. And a discount in the brick and mortars.

I think a lot of us with Prime don't give a crap about the speed of the delivery. I don't think any of my ~ thousand orders from Amazon needed to be to me within even six months.

But most of my orders over the years are sub $10 items. Always having to find stuff to get to $25 was both a hassle, and obviously leads us all to buy things we don't really need. Now that the free limit is $35, those two negatives are even larger.

Plus, there were a couple times where I lost out on temporary price mistakes with just the extra few minutes of finding things to put in my cart to get to $25.
Wait, you order one book or movie a week and have thousands of orders but you are complaining about getting stuff "you don't need"? Your mailman must despise you.

Originally Posted by Rob V
Amazon is successful because they offer the convenience of FAST SHIPPING. If they take that away and then start to add sales tax then it'll destroy their business model and more and more people will go to different sources.
Well, many of us pay sales tax already and it does not effect our purchasing. Plus, I've always reported and paid sales tax on my state income tax. That's all I need is to get called out on tax evasion in a simple audit.
Old 02-06-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

But the more I think about the inevitable price jump and decision that I'll have to make, the more I think that $99 is the absolute most I'd pay for the combined shipping/streaming/book borrowing benefit. Perhaps they'll add more perks to it when they raise the price.
At that point I sit down with my order totals and figure out the math.

Originally Posted by CRM114
But you're still paying for shipping, just in a lump sum. It makes more financial sense to group two items and just get free shipping.
...assuming those two items hit the threshold. Sometimes I found myself searching for an add-on and cursing that the price hadn't been just a little higher.
Old 02-06-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, the $35 increase certainly has effected my purchasing. Now you need ~ three items.
Old 02-06-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of us with Prime don't give a crap about the speed of the delivery. I don't think any of my ~ thousand orders from Amazon needed to be to me within even six months.

But most of my orders over the years are sub $10 items. Always having to find stuff to get to $25 was both a hassle, and obviously leads us all to buy things we don't really need. Now that the free limit is $35, those two negatives are even larger.

Plus, there were a couple times where I lost out on temporary price mistakes with just the extra few minutes of finding things to put in my cart to get to $25.
It seems like you could save money by paying for shipping those rare times there's a particular time crunch on placing an order (like in the case of a price mistake), rather than paying $80 for shipping for an entire year, if the shipping speed doesn't matter to you.

With Prime you're placing over 2 orders per week, so it doesn't seem like it would be that big of an issue for the rest of your orders to wait a week until you've accumulated enough in your shopping cart to qualify for free shipping.
Old 02-06-14, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
It seems like you could save money by paying for shipping those rare times there's a particular time crunch on placing an order (like in the case of a price mistake), rather than paying $80 for shipping for an entire year, if the shipping speed doesn't matter to you.

With Prime you're placing over 2 orders per week, so it doesn't seem like it would be that big of an issue for the rest of your orders to wait a week until you've accumulated enough in your shopping cart to qualify for free shipping.
Good points and how I did it for years. Most of my orders are $5 to $10 each. So waiting to hit $35 or even $25 would result in missing those sale prices.

That said, many of my orders are marketplace sellers so don't qualify for Prime anyway, and occasional ones are over $35. I resisted Prime when it was a shipping only service, as for small orders I didn't want to risk waiting for add-ins I'd just pay for shipping and pay under $80 a year in shipping fees. But once they added streaming and I found a coupon, Prime was worthwhile. I watch quite a bit of their streaming now.
Old 02-06-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Serious question, do most of you just use Amazon to buy movies and video games?

You don't buy anything else there throughout the year?
Old 02-06-14, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

My ~10 orders a month are probably something like:

one game
one CD
three movies
three books
two grocery/household items
Old 02-06-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

If there's something I need/want and Amazon has it and it's cheaper than it'd be at a B&M, which is frequent, then I buy from them. Over the last year it's been non-movie purchases more than anything else.
Old 02-06-14, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Like others have said if there aren't any other items you want, or you only want a specific item that's on sale for the week, you either pay for shipping or miss out on the deal. For people that purchase a lot of items, the difference there can easily surpass the $79 spent on Prime. And while some mentioned not caring that much about the shipping speed, for me release day delivery on movies and games has been important to me over the years, and the option for $3.99 for next day shipping also has it's uses.

Although for me, it was more "kick ass" when there wasn't sales tax in California.
Old 02-07-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I do miss out on "deals" on occasion. But then I look at all the BD's still in shrink wrap on my shelf and the Tivo full of stuff.
Old 02-09-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I still shop at Amazon a lot, but mainly for convenience. I used to buy EVERYTHING there. Now since they started charging tax, I'll typically buy from Best Buy or Target, or even Costco or Sam's Club.
Old 02-09-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I've shifted many purchases I would have made at Amazon towards other vendors. Amazon is so big at this point, they know smarter consumers have started dropping them as their go-to retailer and probably accept it. They want the dumber customers, willing to pay a 20% premium for the brain-dead convenience.
Old 02-09-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll take that brain dead convenience if it means I never have to step inside a Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc. again. Life's too short to deal with that.
Old 02-10-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon has 20% higher prices? Amazon is almost always cheaper on everything.
Old 02-11-14, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Target with 5% is just a better deal now. Amazon lost some sales from me when they started charging tax.
Old 02-11-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
With Amazon's lackluster sales, I just reward the store that actually put the item on sale to begin with, even if it means paying sales tax. And now that Amazon does charge tax in my state, that's one less benefit they have over other businesses, albeit online or B&M.
I'm probably more like a normal person for non-movie items, in that I need something and just look for the lowest price. I hardly buy anything online except for movies. Since I'm a BBY elite member though, I will PM a really good Amazon deal.

What I usually do is if the deal is good enough, just buy multiple copies and flip them. Normally the worse I do is break even on the price of the item after fees and usually make a little. Most really good deals at Amazon (except for BF) are from MP vendors.

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I agree with everything except for the bolded. I don't order enough to justify paying for Prime. But I do not think someone should be penalized for not having it. Wanna send it via pony express? Fine. But don't hold my item as a "penalty" for not having Prime. Especially when it's something I preordered 6 months ago.

I have benefited from them holding my item beyond release day as it has allowed me to see what other deals/coupons pop up around release. But that leads to a lost sale if or when I do find an item cheaper somewhere else.
I've never really cared that they do that, but it is kinda douchee (word?). Around BF though they seem to get stuff out hours after your order it so you can't do that.
Old 02-11-14, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Target with 5% is just a better deal now. Amazon lost some sales from me when they started charging tax.
Good for you. Play in the gas price and your time to got to the box store.

It's the item and convenience price that I go for. I don't get the allegiance to a particular vender, there is a variance on the sell item.
Old 02-11-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Prime is worth it for the convenience of being able to order whenever I want. No need to wait to get an order together. Able to get in on every deal that I want to. The price of prime is miniscule, next to the amount I have saved by not having to buy shit I dont need to get an order up to $25, as well as not missing out on sales because I took too long adding something I didnt ened to the order. Now the free shipping minimum is $35.
Old 02-11-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I don't buy a lot of $10 items. i never had an issue getting to $25. $35 is a bit tougher.
Old 02-11-14, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow

It's the item and convenience price that I go for. I don't get the allegiance to a particular vender, there is a variance on the sell item.
I'm at Target 3-4 times a week so it's not an issue.

I'd be paying more from Amazon with Tax. Period.
Old 02-12-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'm at Target 3-4 times a week so it's not an issue.

I'd be paying more from Amazon with Tax. Period.
I see that line mentioned a lot. But if you were already going there for other things or drive by one along your route, I don't see it as being that much of an inconvenience.

But if you are driving 15-30 minutes out of the way just to purchase an item, yeah then you have to enter time and gas into the equation.

If Amazon had actual sales like they used to do in old days, rather than just price match certain retailers, I would have no problem ordering more from them. Even if it meant hitting the $35 threshold for FSSS.

Occasionally they still do have sales on video games and other items of interest, and I do order from them if it is something I am looking for, but I just don't see it happening enough without it being a price from other retailers.
Old 02-12-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I'm probably more like a normal person for non-movie items, in that I need something and just look for the lowest price. I hardly buy anything online except for movies. Since I'm a BBY elite member though, I will PM a really good Amazon deal.

I've never really cared that they do that, but it is kinda douchee (word?). Around BF though they seem to get stuff out hours after your order it so you can't do that.
And to add, that by ordering it online means I should not expect it now. But for them to not ship something that is in stock is pretty "douchee". As I mentioned before, they can send it super slow shipping for all I care. But it's the principal that they hold an order just because they can as for some punishment for not paying extra from their 2 day shipping. Just my .02.
Old 02-21-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Prime is increasing for the U.K. and for Germany.
http://consumerist.com/2014/02/21/is...#more-10153878

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.