Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDEmpire... What kind of crapola is this!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDEmpire... What kind of crapola is this!

Old 08-24-00, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,223 Likes on 814 Posts
Just got this e-mail from DVDEmpire.

"Before we can process your order we must first verify your account.
Please send a fax showing a photocopy of your credit card along with a statement showing your billing address. We can accept drivers license, passports or credit card/bank statements. Please black out any
information that is private. Please include your order number on your fax.
Our fax number is 724-625-6623. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

Are they in the habit of doing this???
I replied that they have all the info
they need and if that's not sufficient
then cancel my order...

Old 08-24-00, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa.
Old 08-24-00, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not usually one to comment on where people post, but this really is not a DVD Bargain. Try the Online Forum.
Old 08-24-00, 10:33 PM

Never had that problem with them.
Old 08-24-00, 10:33 PM

Actually that isn't so weird or out of the ordinary. Check out the legal stuff in most online dvd stores. You'll find that they reserve the right to ask for proof that you're the legal user of the credit card. I had that happen to me at one store. I'm assuming they do this more often to foreign orders. Not a problem really, although you do need to find out if the store is really secure with your information. You shouldn't worry with DVD Empire.

If you feel uneasy about giving out this information, then maybe you shouldn't be buying online with your credit card at all.

[This message has been edited by Tempy (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just went to look at the status of my order. The item shows the right price but my total is DOUBLE (it only shows quantity of 1) I am going to email them..ANyone else having this issue?

I sent Steven N an email and am awaiting his response.. I expect it will be corrected quickly.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-00, 11:56 PM
Registered

moving to online store forum.

The Management
Old 08-25-00, 06:20 AM

ive had that same problem ! i ordered the classic monster collection for 71 dollar when the found out that they had the wrong price on there website they increased the price in my order history to 151 dollar !!! and get this WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME after a week when lots of people complained they said that i could get it at the original price but that they were unable to change the price in my order history....well needless to say i did not go thru with my order.

Old 08-25-00, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any store that asks me to do so immediately gets a polite letter telling them cancel all my orders, to delete all my account information and a warning that any billing attempts will result in immediate dispute.

Either that or if you have access to a free long-distance fax send them something with everything blacked out.
Old 08-25-00, 12:10 PM

Lurker1999:

Have you ever had an online store asking you for a photocopy of your credit card and/or statements? If so, what was your reasoning behind your action? It's not like you're giving out more information than you already have. They already have your name, address, and credit card number & expiration date. A photocopy of your credit card only proves to them that you actually have the physical card in your possession and didn't just steal the number and exp. date from somebody else. The credit card statement will have the address matched to the name, as well as the issuing bank. There's not much else that's really confidential right? You can black out most of your transactions too (like where you bought stuff and how much it costs). So I'm not quite sure why everybody seems to be so darned worried. I've seen various stores try different stuff to make sure they're not getting defrauded, like asking for the issuing bank + phone number of that bank. I had one store ask for photocopies of the card+statement, and that process was quite painless. And there were no funny stuff happening to my credit card, nor did I get any spam. Please tell me why I actually should be worried about online stores making sure they're not getting defrauded. Online ordering with your credit card is probably safer than using that credit card in b&m stores. This practise most likely only occurs with foreign orders as was the case with eXcentris, and me. I figure it's harder for them to check wether the credit card isn't being abused, so they just ask for photocopies instead.
Old 08-25-00, 12:19 PM

Good Morning....

In response to your questions and comments....

Credit Card Auth: This is in no way a specific to a situation, but there are multiple reasons why we request that a copy be faxed.

1) To protect YOU from fraud
2) Whomever guess overseas is one of the biggest reasons....Bingo.
3) Fraud prevention in general
4) New customer
5) When we called to verify a new shipping address...it did not match the credit card billing address.
6) The credit card authorization company would not authorize without us seeing the statement...there are multiple reasons, but some are:
- Billing address and shipping did not match
- The card holder forgot to activate the new card
- The card is about to expire

Rest assured that this is more for the customers security than for ours...and also be assured that your fax is being received by our credit card verfication department only.

Order Pricing Doubled: Not really....because of the pricing error caused by the studio, we decided to honor the pricing. As such, for us to reprogram the system for one isolated system would not prudent...but rest assured you are only being charged for the lower price.

Universal Monsters....The decision to honor the price was made hours after it was discovered. In fact, the complaints were at a minimum and the fact that the studio did not decided to honor the pricing for several days should only show our dedication to the customer. As of late you should note how other e-companies are NOT honoring mistake pricing. We value our relationship with our customer.

I think that I have repsonded to all of your questions and comments....as in the past, you are always free to contact me personally.

Have to pack some Braveheart boxes in preparation for another big shipping day.

Best regards,
Steven

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 08-25-00, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by peterjon:
well needless to say i did not go thru with my order.
<HR>

Hate to say it but you missed out man They eventually went back and corrected it in the order list. Also I just received my shipping confirmation today w/ the correct price

Thanks DVDempire
Old 08-25-00, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well since I only have a fax modem and no
photocopy machine or scanner it's just too
much of a hassle for me to do this so I
asked them to cancel my order.
Old 08-25-00, 03:41 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
eXcentris was your order for the same address as the billing? If so, then you really have a good point, and I would not shop with them anymore. If it was a different address, then I agree with dvdempire...

of course, I do not think this is for the customer's protection. Why? If it is fraud, we have to pay nothing. I think this is for dvdempire's protection.
Old 08-25-00, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tempy:
I've never had any of the 30+ online retailer that I've shopped with request a credit card/bank statement. Given the variety of retailers that I can pick from without the hassle I'd forgo the hassle of faxing something to the company and shop elsewhere.
Old 08-25-00, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by foxdvd:
eXcentris was your order for the same address as the billing? If so, then you really have a good point, and I would not shop with them anymore. If it was a different address, then I agree with dvdempire...

of course, I do not think this is for the customer's protection. Why? If it is fraud, we have to pay nothing. I think this is for dvdempire's protection.
<HR>

Since I have all my DVD's shipped to a friend
in the US, the shipping and billing address
are different. I do this with all the other
retailers and have never had such a request
from them.

Old 08-25-00, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard they might start asking for blood/DNA sample to verify in the future. Guess I'm back at Amazon.com for pre-orders again.
Old 08-26-00, 05:22 AM

>>

I received my Classic Monsters shipping notice today, but because of the low price, DVDEmpire said they will be sending out a nurse from a local sperm bank on Saturday for my DNA testing.
Old 08-26-00, 06:22 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by foxdvd:
of course, I do not think this is for the customer's protection. Why? If it is fraud, we have to pay nothing. I think this is for dvdempire's protection.<HR>

It's for both. Yes, DVDEmpire has the most to lose, but if you have unauthorized charges, you're still typicially liable for the first $50 (although most card issuers will waive this). Just so you know, there has been a rash of fraudlent charges. I should know because I had 2 different cards comprimised. I've had fraudlent charges at quite a few e-tailers, all with the correct billing address (in California) but with a shipping address in New York. For this reason I personally would have no problem with an e-tailer wanting to verify my billing address.

And yes, the FBI is on the case. But beware, and make sure you audit your credit card statements.

Old 08-27-00, 07:23 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most credit cards will give it all back. In fact I have the one I use because of that. Trust me, if they had NOTHING to loose, they would not ask for all this information. If the law was we had to eat all fraud charges, and the stores could keep the money in a case like this, they would not ask for all this info. It is not for our protection, but that is good PR to say so..
Old 08-28-00, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had this issue once and it was due to me entering in the wrong CC number.

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16