Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has buy.com taken over cduniverse's spot for most hated?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Has buy.com taken over cduniverse's spot for most hated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-00, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think? The sheer number of negative posts regarding buy.com is getting rediculous. So how about it...despite their poor service, are you going back only because of their low prices? I'd hate to see what happens if their prices ever go up.

------------------
trae My DVD Collection
Old 08-22-00, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy.com is 50/50

Beyond the mat I got in a couple days early, but anime releases 4-6 weeks late.

Buy.com is a crapshoot, Canceling a order is 30/70 chance of sucess.

------------------
I'm the hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love

Vash The Stampede - Trigun
Old 08-22-00, 09:56 PM

Buy is still best in my book. Amazon is #2. There are a lot of negative posts simply because people use Buy and Amazon so much. Bigstar (20% off, no coupons, no coupons with pre-orders, crappy boxes) is the worst, but you won't read much about it here since few use them anymore.
Old 08-23-00, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not by a long shot!!!! For the most part, Buy.com has been good to me!!! One small problem regarding a backorder recently but they are nowhere near CDUNIVERSE or CDLATER!!!!
Old 08-23-00, 01:24 AM

I've been having good luck with buy.com lately. Yes, I've had a few pre-orders that didn't ship on time, but most of them I get well before street (like Tigger Movie last Thursday), and the ones that I didn't get on time, I've received after a few weeks. That's unlike cdnow.com where they claim to have shipped your merchandise but where you never receive it. cdnow.com is the one media e-tailer (including cduniverse/dvdwave) that i'll never shop at again.
Old 08-23-00, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am 12 for 12 with buy and all preorders arrived early. I went 0 for 1 with cduniverse, finally got my "in stock" disc after 3 months and was then double charged for it! It is like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 08-23-00, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
No way. The are pretty cheap plus they offer coupons unlike express and amazon. They ship pretty quickly and sometimes I get preorders before the street date. I was realistic about the reel transfer (I still don't fathom how some of you expected a 2-3 week turnaround) - it took 6 weeks to receive mine and I think that is reasonable. 9 of my last 15 DVDs have been from Buy and I see that ratio continuing if not increasing. No way you can put them in the same league at CDLater and CDUniverse.
Old 08-23-00, 06:02 PM

Personally I've never had any problems with buy.com, everything i've ordered has been delivered within 2-4 business days of when I ordered it. As for most hated, it has to be amazon. After they bungled my last order (first they send me the wrong item, then the item i ordered goes out of stock...i've been waiting 2 months for the dvd I ordered), I seriously doubt I'll ever order from them again.

[This message has been edited by lodger_001 (edited August 23, 2000).]
Old 08-23-00, 07:44 PM

Not a chance... I've never had a problem with buy.com, though I've only ordered from them two or three times. CD Universe, on the other hand... let's just say, if anyone read my rant in the CDUNIVERSE thread, that I am *still* trying to get my refund (for being double charged) and the second item I ordered. The original order was placed on June 15th. Also, they offered me a gift certificate for my troubles, with which I placed an order last Friday...that order still has not been processed! But as long as they don't try to charge me for it I don't care if they never ship it. Just my two cents...

[This message has been edited by blakwngbrd (edited August 23, 2000).]
Old 08-24-00, 11:37 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry, but I just had to cast a dissenting vote in this thread. At least as far as I'm concerned, buy.com is the new low.

Many people are posting about how buy.com is fairly reliable and they haven't had too many problems. Well I have had one too many problems with buy.com, problems that might be forgivable if their CSRs where not participating in a not too terribly elaborate subterfuge. Bad customer service is a cardinal sin to my mind. Reel.com was at one time notorious for not being helpful and not offering any useful information, but I personally felt that towards the end they really were trying to turn it around and I found that I was getting much better customer service. Buy.com has offered NOTHING. Their CSRs obviously have no information and instead are content to lie to their customers just to get them off the phone. I ask you, what is the point of customer service if they do not offer...CUSTOMER SERVICE? If the CSRs have no information to give to the customers, why are they there? Their lies are not fooling anyone and are not serving to better public opinion of buy.com and it's policies.

I honestly find it all baffling. It just doesn't make sense to alienate and abuse your customers.

At any rate, that is my experience and the experience of many others who have had recent troubles with buy.com. Take it for what it's worth, the opinion of one consumer. If ya ask me it's just not worth it anymore. Pay a few extra bucks and give your patronage to those online companies that have been laying the groundwork for customer satisfaction for years now.
Old 08-25-00, 11:15 AM

I have had nothing but good experiences with buy.com. My preorders usually arrive early and they are well packaged.
Old 08-27-00, 04:49 AM

i guess i have been one of the lucky one because i always seem get my orders early from buy.com and cd now

------------------
Go Redskins
Old 08-27-00, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy.com has been really good to me so far! Not to mention that they're the only ones still issuing coupons out there.

If you don't like to click for GC's like me, then Buy.com is your best shot to pre-order your movies. Not only do they accept coupons on their pre-orders but they also have pretty good prices.

I've been a customer with them for more than a year now, and I have never had a problem in getting any of my orders. I'm just hoping that I won't have a problem in getting all of my 08/29 pre-orders in time from them.

Also, don't forget that they took care of our Reel.com orders, even though they did take a long time. They honored all the Reel trivia codes/coupons/gc's... I don't think any other company would of done that.