Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Returns and Exchange Question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I have a question if someone can possibly answer this.

About 1 week ago, I purchased a Google Chromecast from Amazon for $29.99 and it's already set up and installed.

Opened my friend's Christmas gift today and low and behold, my buddy also got me a Chromecast. I don't really need 2 Chromecasts, so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action with it.

He wrapped it separately, so I don't have the little gift receipt with the order number. So I can't do a direct exchange of his purchase from Amazon. I know he bought it off Amazon because he bought a few other things for me off my Amazon wish list and I saw it was noted on the website.

Now since I coincidentally purchased it, would I be able to send it back to Amazon as a return passing it off as my own purchase? My only concern is while the UPC symbols are the same, each device has a unique serial number, so I'm not sure if Amazon takes that into account. I haven't opened it yet, so any input would be great.
Old 12-25-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts
Re: Amazon Returns and Exchange Question

I'm not sure about the serial number situation, but I believe the return shipping cost would be $4.99 per package and an additional 75 cents per pound - which means you would get less than the $29.99 of course. That's something to consider.
Old 12-26-13, 08:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Might be better to re-gift it or sell it here. I'd hate to eat that $5 just on principle.
Old 12-26-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Contacted Amazon CS. The guy was really cool. Told him that I didn't have an order number and asked him to locate the Chromecast on my friend's account. Turned out he actually bought it off his wife's account. Anyways, they processed it with no problem. E-mailed me a pre-paid UPS shipping label for me to drop off the package. I should get the amount credited back as a Gift Card to my account once they receive it.
Old 12-01-14, 11:15 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Wondering if I ended up putting a little red flag on my Amazon account over $2.50. Thoughts?

I had a camel3 price watch for a long time on Imitation of Life (2-disc, both versions of the film) and I got an alert last week it was down to $6.98 so I bit. While it was already on its way to me, I learned DeepDiscount had it for $3.99 and the picture showed it came with plus digital copies of the film. Both had the same release date, however, so I was thinking it would be fine.

My Amazon copy arrived today and sure enough, no digital copies. Not a big deal but it's sort of irritating to know I could've gotten more for $2.50 less. Heck, even with $2 shipping and the 15% off Cyber Monday coupon it would still come out less at DeepDiscount. Been a long time since I've returned something at Amazon and out of curiosity, I went to return it for the reason "found lower price." I put a link to DeepDiscount in the comments, it processed, and a few seconds later it said I had a refund and I don't have to return the DVD.

I don't have to return the product? That seems really weird to me. Shouldn't they take it back? Should I have said something else or is there a limit on this sort of thing or what? Did I just put a little red flag on my Amazon account over $2.50 by accident? Anybody have insight into this?
Old 12-02-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts

Since it was buyer's remorse, wouldn't the return shipping cost to Amazon negate the $2.50 difference in savings? I guess that doesn't matter now though. I'm unsure about the red flag, but that is definitely strange that they don't want the DVD back.

I like using Camel with Amazon as well (didn't know they provide alerts!), but after I reach that price point and make that purchase, I don't bother searching other websites for a better deal. I would just regret it if I found a better deal.
Old 12-02-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Wondering if I ended up putting a little red flag on my Amazon account over $2.50. Thoughts?
Possibly, yes. You probably don't want to make a habit out doing this.
Old 12-02-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't have to return the product? That seems really weird to me. Shouldn't they take it back? Should I have said something else or is there a limit on this sort of thing or what? Did I just put a little red flag on my Amazon account over $2.50 by accident? Anybody have insight into this?
I've had this happen before. I think this occurs every now and then when you try to return products that don't have a high price tag. It probably makes more sense for them to make the customer happy then to have them go through the whole process of returning a cheap item.

Not that this happens all the time, but I think if you are a good customer with Amazon then there are certain orders where they would rather just refund the cost of a reasonably priced item and let you keep it rather than return it.
Old 12-02-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you've done a bunch of returns, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Old 12-02-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

Yeah, I think they just figure the cost of your returning something and their receiving the item and processing it is not worth their trouble.
Old 12-02-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be variable based on how much you've ordered from them in the past, but based on my experiences then I'd say that you should be fine. I had something similar a few years ago where I ordered the last new copy of a DVD that was going oop ($5-$6) and the copy they sent me had no shrink and the snapper case was pretty beat up. They told me to keep it too after I chatted with them, I asked if they were sure, and they said yes.

Since then they've offered a free book in a similar circumstance where the book was $17-$18 from a $25 or so msrp, plus a few other benefits in other situations like free next day shipping.

Several times I've turned them down, for example the other day I wanted to apply a gc to an order that had just started processing and when the rep. told me she couldn't do it then said she'd forward the matter to the gc dept. I said okay, and then she said that if it didn't happen then just to contact them and they'd refund the cost?!?! The book was a limited edition over $30, but even if not, then I was patiently telling her that I was the one who hadn't switched payment methods sooner and that they hadn't done anything wrong and thanks, but giving it to me for free didn't seem a good idea either way, so please don't.

So yeah, this stuff comes up from time to time and I try not to do it too much, just in case, and certainly not doing it unless Amazon made an actual mistake and keeping the item seems cheaper (or much less hassle) than convincing them to take it back.