Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CDUNIVERSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-00, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, looking at there web site, seems nice, and there price's are great!! is this place really bad? anyone have good experiece with this e-tailer?

thanks!!

Old 03-30-00, 01:33 AM

You've posted over 300 times and you don't know about CDU's reputation? I've only posted 25 times and I know that you should do a search on CD Universe in the forum before asking any questions.

Well, I think CDU is okay...mostly because I'm like one of the only people who they didn't screw on the $10 off IWON5 coupon fiasco. But it took them 2 weeks after shipping for my first DVD to arrive in a flimsy paper mailer...so I can't recommend CDU.

I'd rather spend 2-4 dollars more at a reputable online retailer than save a couple of bucks and deal with this confused company again.

[This message has been edited by Guyver99 (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old 03-30-00, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>CD Universe is Suckkk.. Suckkkkk Suckkkkk Suckkkkk Suckkkkkkkk Suckkkkkkkkk..... <HR>

------------------
Proud Member of the Other Forum!

My List
Old 03-30-00, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a good experience with them (knock on wood for the rest of my orders). Used a $10 coupon, was charged the correct amount and received "The Abyss" (intact) within a week of receiving my shipping confirmation.
Old 03-30-00, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put it this way: I have 93 DVDs in my collection now (gotta update my DVDTracker...) and until I ordered from CDUniverse none had arrived damaged.

Then I placed an order from CDU and my girlfriend did too (on my behalf). After waiting 10 days plus for them to arrive after they supposedly shipped, they showed up. In weinie padded envelope. One was loose in its case. I exchanged it at a B&M store. The other has creases in the cardboard snapper case. I haven't decided if I'll return it yet...

I think I'll pay a little more for 1) decent shipping times and 2) good packaging.

------------------
If not for DVDTalk, My DVD Collection would've cost a fortune!
Old 08-16-00, 09:19 PM

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have another CD Universe sob story... I guess I got suckered in. I got a coupon, and I never thought to check here before I ordered to find out how good or bad they are. Learned my lesson on this one!

I placed my order on June 15, for two DVDs (Joe's Apartment and Dogma), both of which showed as In Stock. (Incidentally, both items continued to show up as In Stock for the ENTIRE two months that they have been jerking me around.) Several days later I finally got an email from them, but it was just to tell my that both items were backordered (!!! they are both available in stores and from other online retailers...) Needless to say I was surprised. So I called and the CSR told me that the backorder email was a mistake, and the order will ship on Friday. Ok, Monday rolls around, still no ship. I call again. This time they tell me for sure by this Friday. Joe's Apartment ships on June 22 (Thursday) and I am credited the full amount of the coupon, and billed for only that item. It arrived and was in reasonable good condition (considering the dinky envelope they shipped it in...) Sounds good, right? I felt better, but only for a little while. On July 7, after two more phone calls, order status for Dogma finally updates to Shipped. Yay! Except that I never get the DVD, and I was charged full price for shipping as though I ordered these two items separately. On July 21 I call and the CSR tells me that she cannot consider the item lost because it has to have been two weeks since they shipped it before it is lost, so I should call back on Monday. For some strange reason I accept this, and call back Monday. That CSR tells me that it has to be 14 BUSINESS DAYS before it is lost, so I should call back Friday. I lose it at this point and finally ask for a supervisor. The supervisor agrees to reship the item even though it hasn't been long enough to consider it lost, and the next day (July 25 at this point - well over a month past the original order date) a new order appears for Dogma in my order history. The next day it goes to Backorder. Ok, for some reason I give them the benefit of the doubt and wait a week for it to ship. Still no ship, so I call again and ask for the same Operations Manager I spoke to the last time. He promises to take care of it, and lo and behold! The next day (August 11!) the item goes from Backordered to Shipped, just like that.

Well, as of August 16 I still have not gotten either copy, although I know that with their slow shipping the second copy may still be on its way (or it may have never shipped at all...) The reason I am so infuriated today is that I just discovered a SECOND charge to my Visa card for Dogma, plus the full amount for shipping AGAIN that I should never have been charged in the first place.

Couldn't get ahold of the Operations Manager today, so I went to his boss. This guy insists that my account has already been credited for the shipping costs (even though multiple CSRs told me I would have to call after I receive the item to be credited for it...) and that there is no sign of a second charge on my account, so I will have to come up with WRITTEN PROOF that my account was charged twice. In the meantime, I still have no Dogma!!!

I guess the short version of this post would be: Don't bother with CD Universe, they care nothing for their customers and it is not beneath them to rip people off left and right. No offer from them will ever get me to shop there again.

Here's just hoping I get my money back!

[This message has been edited by blakwngbrd (edited August 16, 2000).]
Old 08-17-00, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CD Universe is terrible...watch out for double charging if you order from them!!!
Old 08-17-00, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont forget the bermuda triangle problem that happened with me, my brother, his wife, his friend, and her firend. there is a total of 10 missing DVD in my state, all of them got re-shipped, all got charged for the re-ship, so each was double charged, all promised a creidt back on the card by 14th of july, now we are disputing.

also NOFX (?) has like a 200 dollar refund check that they have lost 3 times in the mail.

very sneaky crooked operation. Remember since you HAVE gotten the 2nd item, it will be TOUGH to dispute it, since the first item has the 30 day period has ended. Also since the coupon was applied in the first order, you MIGHT get a refund for the first charge, BUT not the 2nd, the re-ship, which coupon wasnt applied, therefore a full charge. I think they do this deliberatly.
Old 08-17-00, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I order from CDU I only order small amounts, usually under $100 at a time.

Regards...

------------------
John 3:16
Old 08-17-00, 04:40 AM

I've purchased about 8 DVDs from them, all pre-orders, all with coupons, including several with the infamous IWON5 which never let me down. One time, another coupon (5454, I think) wasn't credited, I called once, called a second time, then got my credit. I would say that they have been no worse than anyone else I've had to deal with online, and I have a lot of buying experience, with many screw-ups far worse at other etailers (Reel, Buy, CDLater, LittleStar). I'm lucky to have had no real "weenie" experience with CDUniverse. Just lucky that way, I guess.

I'd rather have lower cholesterol.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 08-17-00, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NEVER order from these losers. See here for why.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 08-17-00, 03:16 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by salamander2:
very sneaky crooked operation. Remember since you HAVE gotten the 2nd item, it will be TOUGH to dispute it, since the first item has the 30 day period has ended. Also since the coupon was applied in the first order, you MIGHT get a refund for the first charge, BUT not the 2nd, the re-ship, which coupon wasnt applied, therefore a full charge. I think they do this deliberatly.<HR>

Salamander...thank you for your post. I actually have not received the second item yet, and the coupon was applied in full to the first item, so the two charges for the second item were for the same amount, the full price of the item plus the full price for shipping. They continue to deny that I was charged a second time for the second item. Still working on it, I'll keep you all informed...
Old 08-17-00, 05:57 PM

Greetings...

I made my first purchase from CDU prior to reading this forum and I will be the first to admit that I was a bit leary waiting for my order. I ordered several Star Trek TOS episodes and indicated on my order, that I wanted them shipped together to save shipping. Well... They started arriving one and two at a time each shipment having its own shipping charge. I called CDU, and the CSR indicated that they have problems with their internal software and that if I waited for the final disk to arrive they would refund the difference between what I should have been charged for shipping, and what I was charged for shipping. I emailed them when the last disk arrived and it was taken care of promptly. No problems here....

Dave

Old 08-17-00, 08:23 PM

11 phone calls, 6 emails and two faxes later, they have finally acknowledged that they double charged my account and are planning to refund the extra charge. This is after MANY accusations that I was lying to them...the first fax was a copy of my online bank statement showing the charges (of course I blacked out everything but the CDU charges!) The second fax was a re-send since they conveniently got only the first two pages of the first one, so they emailed me to allege that I was STILL lying to them. They also extended me a $20 GC. Now I just have to hope that I get the refund and the DVD actually arrives and is in good shape so I never have to deal with them again...
Old 08-17-00, 09:31 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by wrinkled:
Greetings...

I made my first purchase from CDU prior to reading this forum and I will be the first to admit that I was a bit leary waiting for my order. I ordered several Star Trek TOS episodes and indicated on my order, that I wanted them shipped together to save shipping. Well... They started arriving one and two at a time each shipment having its own shipping charge
<HR>

Well this happended EVERY single time I ordered something from them and since I'm an international customer, multiple shpping can be very expensive. I emailed them about 15 times about this and never got a single reply. I will never deal with them again. Stay away from them!

------------------
I'm sick of sleeping with all these insipid Manhattan debutantes. Nothing shocks them anymore.
Old 08-18-00, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As many others here have pointed out, stay away from these creeps. Bad, bad, bad company. May the ValueAmerica curse befall them.
Old 08-18-00, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm the only one with a good CDU story. They really pissed me off, but it all worked out beautifully in the end. I had a bunch of GC's from bungo (where'd it bungo? sorry that was lame). Anyways, using a coupon code (PRICE5 - i think) with my gc's screwed up the system and it actually doubled the GC credit on each order, in some cases this gave me a negative total. Anyways, all the orders went through, and then they were all cancelled. My GCs were also cancelled and rendered useless. After weeks of calling and talking to supervisors etc... I got my GCs reinstated. But here's the good part... After the GCs were reinstated and I used them, I called a CSR and told her that some previous orders of mine had been cancelled for no apparent reason, so she tried processing them again and they processed. The end result was I got to use my $120 in GCs, AND all my previous orders with the GCs shipped at NO CHARGE to me. I got a free Alien Legacy Box, free Die Hard box, and a few other movies. (remember my previous orders doubled my GC totals because of the system screwup) So CDU essentially GAVE me $240 of merchandise for free and I bought another $120 with GCs. Best deal I think I ever got.

'E
Old 08-23-00, 11:45 PM

If anyone is still following my tragic tale... I placed an order with my nice gift certificate last friday. It was for a pre-order of Total Recall (release date 8/29) so hopefully I will know soon if they plan to send it. In the meantime I still have not received my copy of Dogma, and they have reshipped it a THIRD time, this time (due to a rather irate customer...who could that be?) they shipped by FedEx and promised to deliver a tracking number to me tomorrow. The supposed credit to my account has yet to appear... As I've said before, here's hoping! I will never deal with them again.