Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 09:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

I just ordered from them on Friday. Do I have anything to worry about? When did the hack happen?

I've had my CC info stolen once before. Someone in Florida put two $200 charges on my card at a Wal-Mart. I had to go to the police station and fill out forms.
Old 10-08-13, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this is related, but my CC was compromised in early Sep. I don't think it had to do with the WB shop since I don't think I stored my CC info on there.

It was my feeling that my issue had to do with ordering from Movie Mars through Amazon payments. I had issues with my payment being processed when buying the new Halloween BD. Then starting 9/10 I had all sorts of fraudulent charges (and credits??) all the way through 9/13. After netting it out it came out to over $700 in charges. What a hassle.

Just got a letter from Datapak yesterday. I'll have to go through that.
Old 10-08-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Glad I don't use WB Shop very much, my last orders were in February. Double checked the statements for the card I had on file and didn't find anything suspicious. I removed the card from the web site though and can't say I'll be shopping with them again anytime soon (not that I did much to begin with).
Since the issue was with Datapak and not WBShop itself, why ignore the company that was actually hacked and used by more companies than just WBShop?

It's like blaming your wife for killing your dog by feeding it the poisoned dog food even though it was poisoned at the company that packaged it.
Old 10-08-13, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by danfindlay
Mystery solved!!! Thank you! I had $150 charged to my account late august for a SriLankin airline. I wondered how the hell they got me and spent hours searching every nook and cranny of my computer for keystroke loggers. The only thing I ordered this summer was the Fringe full series bluray set for $20 during the pricing error. Got all my money back.
I also had some fraudulent charges on the card I used to order my Fringe set. Fortunately Capital One was extremely quick to catch them and I got my card replaced. I'm glad to know where the breach came from, because it was bugging me on how my number got out there. And I got the letter from Datapack yesterday as well.
Old 10-08-13, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why wasn't Datapak encrypting the cc #s? :facepalm:
Old 10-08-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Why wasn't Datapak encrypting the cc #s? :facepalm:
We need to add this smiley.
Old 10-08-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Since the issue was with Datapak and not WBShop itself, why ignore the company that was actually hacked and used by more companies than just WBShop?

It's like blaming your wife for killing your dog by feeding it the poisoned dog food even though it was poisoned at the company that packaged it.
I'm not necessarily blaming WB Shop I just know they use Datapak so I'm avoiding them for the time being.
Old 10-08-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by JTKenobi
Don't know if this is related, but my CC was compromised in early Sep. I don't think it had to do with the WB shop since I don't think I stored my CC info on there.

Just got a letter from Datapak yesterday. I'll have to go through that.
It's been determined that anyone who ever used a credit card on WBshop has been compromised. People who only had one guest order at the site got hacked. You did not need to store a credit card to get it hacked in this case.

Read here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6323952-secu...com?p=62326364
Old 10-08-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had almost $35K in various airline tickets attempt to be charged to my card in a 24 hour period in August. American Express caught it right away and called me. I cancelled the card and was issued a new one.

They even looked back over purchases for a period of time and found a small questionable one (obviously used to see if the card was valid) that I had not placed.
Old 10-08-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered from them during the Fringe sale and was also hit back in August. About $500 in fraudulent gift card purchases (and $8.95 from Cinemark, strangely). Got all the charges reversed and had a new card issued. Glad to know the source of the breach, at least.
Old 10-08-13, 03:17 PM

One thing I do to prevent hacking is to use a virtual account number on any site that I don't do regular business (I haven't bought from WBShop). Its available on one of my Citi cards. Hackers can get the number but its a one-time only use.
Old 10-08-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

I apologize if I missed it, but am I correct in understanding this has only affected folks who purchased something from June until now (that was indicated in the OP)? Last item I bought from them was in January. I haven't noticed any problems, but wasn't sure if it might be necessary to go back through this year's cc statements.
Old 10-08-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I apologize if I missed it, but am I correct in understanding this has only affected folks who purchased something from June until now (that was indicated in the OP)? Last item I bought from them was in January. I haven't noticed any problems, but wasn't sure if it might be necessary to go back through this year's cc statements.
I think past accounts are also in question. My bank just sent me a message saying my card is being cancelled right now and a new one is being issued.
Old 10-08-13, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh so this is where my cc was stolen from, happened to me at the end of august
Old 10-08-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 570 Likes on 356 Posts

I had several charges on my credit card that I didn't place and my mother had some on two different cards. We both got the datepak letters yesterday. I was issued a new card and was about to place a $200 order with it on WBShop today but decided to hold off now that I found out it was their website that was the problem. I had $1500 worth of shit bought that I never purchased and had it refunded. The funny thing is the first thing they purchased was for $5 but later returned it the same day for a refund.
Old 10-08-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The only thing I ordered from them was the Friday the 13th set, the second week of September. I haven't seen anything unusual on my card yet.

I wish they would give a date that they found and removed the malware. I have no idea if I was still at risk at that point or not.
Old 10-08-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So much for WB SHOP clearing this up. My brother placed an order with them last night and today there was a fraudulent charge of $800 on the card. If this got hacked in March why has it not been safeguarded by now?
Old 10-08-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't ordered from them since November '11, but was contemplating a new order. I used an old debit card that has since been renewed, but there's rarely much money in that account, so I should probably be okay. I'll check with my bank tomorrow though.

Meanwhile, my condolences to everyone's who's been affected, I had this once with a B&M store and know what it's like.
Old 10-08-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Add me to the list as well. Last year the bank replaced my card for suspicious activity after ordering Shazam! & Eight is Enough from the archive.
Old 10-08-13, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
If you got an email from BB to review your purchase, then it sounds like your BB account was hacked. That sounds unrelated from this c/c fraud. The only way you'd get an email like that was if it was ordered from your account...
I had a BB account sometime back, but according to them, there is no account associated with the email address at which I received the review request.

I've ordered from WBShop a few times this year, so that's must be where the CC data was obtained. The charge at BestBuy just misled me as to the source of the data leakage.
Old 10-09-13, 12:19 PM

Add me to the list.
Just got the letter yesterday afternoon, and just got a text alert, email, and phone call from the CC company saying they suspected a fraudulent charge at a sporting good shop in Australia.

Made my only two orders ever on this card from wbshop.com on 5/22, my card expired in June, but they still found a way to run a charge on it today.
The CC company is issuing me a new card and overnight express UPSing it to me.
Old 10-09-13, 02:00 PM

So for everyone who got your CC info compromised with fraudulent charges, did you file a police report?
I never did, but the datapac mailing suggested one should do this in their letter. One of the company's that had fraudulent purchases from my card also suggested I do this.
Old 10-09-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by DvdClon
I had a BB account sometime back, but according to them, there is no account associated with the email address at which I received the review request.

I've ordered from WBShop a few times this year, so that's must be where the CC data was obtained. The charge at BestBuy just misled me as to the source of the data leakage.
Best Buy's website also got hacked at some point in the prior year. It was well known to not store credit card data on their site.
So for everyone who got your CC info compromised with fraudulent charges, did you file a police report?
I never did, but the datapac mailing suggested one should do this in their letter. One of the company's that had fraudulent purchases from my card also suggested I do this.
Seems like a lot of hassle considering the local police will do practically nothing with a criminal that likely lives in Russia or China. Your credit card company should reimburse any fraudulent purchases made on the card.
Old 10-09-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case, no police report was necessary. My bank caught the charges, sent me a fraud notice by email. Then I called them, we discussed it, they got rid of the fraudulent charges and issued me a new card. Done and done. No more WBShop for me and for the one who mentioned Best Buy, I gave up on them a while back. If I really want something, I'll just go there and get it. I'll stick to what I feel good about.
Old 10-09-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still nothing in the mail from DataPak and my most recent WB order should be here tomorrow. I also double checked my statements going back to mid March and everything looks good. I guess I'm OK?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.