Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What's with all the free gifts?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What's with all the free gifts?

Old 08-13-00, 05:43 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,862
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If helicopter toys and post-it notes from Checkout.com or popcorn from 800.com was not bad enough, now Express is sending fountain pens with my order. I would much rather have this money spent towards lowering DVD prices. I don't need anymore crap from online retailers. If retailers have money to spend they should do what Buy.com does and ship my order Priority mail instead of 1st class. That way I can get my DVDs on Friday instead of the following Tuesday.

------------------
"Know wha I mean, know wha I mean. A nods as good as a wink."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 08-13-00, 06:13 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 10,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Express has lost my business for now with their new pricing policy of 25% off in stock items!!!! Loyal customers should feel betrayed by express...they could have at least sent an email to their customer base alerting us to this change in policy!!! They should also start emailing coupons on a regular basis to returning customers...oops, that would mean they would not have enough money to buy those stupid post it pads and the stupid calculator they sent me last christmas for being a loyal customer!!! Express is on its way down with these prices!!! You may as well go to your local Best Buy and purchase your movies!!!!
Old 08-13-00, 06:40 PM
  #3  
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The deepest recesses of your inner fears
Posts: 3,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by darkside:
If helicopter toys and post-it notes from Checkout.com or popcorn from 800.com was not bad enough, now Express is sending fountain pens with my order. I would much rather have this money spent towards lowering DVD prices.
<HR>


I agree that I would like Express.com to lower its prices. But those fountain pens probably cost about 2 cents each, and a 2 cent reduction in my DVD price will not make a difference to me one way or another.
Old 08-13-00, 06:57 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 10,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoc:
I agree that I would like Express.com to lower its prices. But those fountain pens probably cost about 2 cents each, and a 2 cent reduction in my DVD price will not make a difference to me one way or another.<HR>


Hey Hoc, But how much did that bad boy calculator cost which they sent to me at christmas last year? This baby is silver with a retractable roof...no kidding.....you push a button and the cover retracts in a slow fashion exposing the display panel!!!
Old 08-13-00, 11:15 PM
  #5  
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The deepest recesses of your inner fears
Posts: 3,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Hey Hoc, But how much did that bad boy calculator cost which they sent to me at christmas last year? This baby is silver with a retractable roof...no kidding.....you push a button and the cover retracts in a slow fashion exposing the display panel!!!<HR>


I'd betcha that one was expensive -- probably a quarter! Seriously, these "gimmees" are bought in bulk, and therefore they are really cheap. My folks were in the business of purchasing that stuff, and you'd be amazed at the markup on it in the retail stores. Usually 300-400 percent, or more. That's why they can reduce it so much on "sale" at clearances and swap meets. 800.com's popcorn is probably the most expensive "extra" of the bunch.
Old 08-13-00, 11:26 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 10,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoc....I posted this in another thread!!! With Express and Amazon lowering their discount to 25% on in-stock dvds I almost forgot about the old Kencranes which is now dvdplanet...same company different name!!! I know they offer no coupons, but with the way things seem to be going.....they still offer 30% off in-stock dvds.....their shipping is only $2.50 flat....no charge per disc. If I order 10 dvds...I still pay $2.50!!! Once all of the coupons dry up.....and I do not do all of the GC sites....dvdplanet seems like it will be the place to go.
Old 08-14-00, 07:12 AM
  #7  
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The deepest recesses of your inner fears
Posts: 3,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Hoc....I posted this in another thread!!! With Express and Amazon lowering their discount to 25% on in-stock dvds I almost forgot about the old Kencranes which is now dvdplanet...same company different name!!! I know they offer no coupons, but with the way things seem to be going.....they still offer 30% off in-stock dvds.....their shipping is only $2.50 flat....no charge per disc. If I order 10 dvds...I still pay $2.50!!! Once all of the coupons dry up.....and I do not do all of the GC sites....dvdplanet seems like it will be the place to go. <HR>


I have a Ken Crane's B&M near me, so I can get these prices with no shipping charges. I just don't know if I'll be buying any DVDs once the final price goes over $10. I may watch what I have now, and rent until the used DVD prices come down and the recordable DVDs hit the market at a reasonable price. It will be a tough choice.

About a month ago I went to get Psycho:CE from Ken Crane's and they wanted about $19 for it. I was tempted, but then reason took hold. Luckily, the Harry Potter deal was going and GCs at Amazon made it a much better buy online.

I'm considering using up my Buy.com credit that I got from accumulated Reel Trivia credits traded with our European and English friends. I was waiting until the Chaplin Collection came out on preorder on September 5, or the Bond set came out at the end of this month, but now I'm concerned that Buy.com might follow suit soon on increased prices. Hmm, what Criterions do I want ($90 in Buy.com credit + Buy's $30 off $150 coupon and 30 percent off means I can get $215 MSRP in DVDs for $30 plus the $20 I traded for the Buy.com GCs. What to get, what to get. . . .)
Old 08-14-00, 07:35 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoc:
I'm considering using up my Buy.com credit that I got from accumulated Reel Trivia credits traded with our European and English friends. ($90 in Buy.com credit + Buy's $30 off $150 coupon and 30 percent off means I can get $215 MSRP in DVDs for $30 plus the $20 I traded for the Buy.com GCs. What to get, what to get. . . .)<HR>


Didn't all the Reel store credits just expire at Buy?
Old 08-14-00, 03:58 PM
  #9  
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The deepest recesses of your inner fears
Posts: 3,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by dave955:
Didn't all the Reel store credits just expire at Buy?<HR>


No, the ability to deposit new Reel store credits expired. But if you already deposited them, the credit's still there.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.