Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What, me worry? About amazon?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What, me worry? About amazon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-00, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I worry about amazon? I am an amazon shareholder, and their stock went down $2&1/16 today and down $15/16 yesterday I think. I certainly hope they don't go under. I am a semi-loyal customer, I only really use them and express, ocassionally 800.com. I also hope their stock doesn't plummet anymore so I don't lose the money I invested.

Maybe I should save up for a share of berkshire-hathaway.

Sorry, but I decided this forum might be the best place for this particular post.
Old 08-09-00, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Putting stock into e-tailers is going to make you broke.

Amazon.com can't make a profit yet, same applys with the other e-tailer stores. I hope amazon.com lasts for 100 years, I can't really survive without them (in terms of internet shopping).

------------------
OrO?!

Himura Kenshin - Ruroni Kenshin
Old 08-09-00, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I read somewhere that Amazon has a $70+ debt for every customer they have.

Ouch.
Old 08-10-00, 03:26 AM

Amazon has taken on a lot of debt which it intended at some point to convert into stock. It had to follow certain rules to do this; one of them was that their stock price had to maintain a certain level. When the bottom dropped out of the e-tailer market this last winter and Amazon's stock dropped along with many others, Amazon could no longer meet the rules for debt conversion. Thus, the debt remains.

One prominent analyst proclaimed that Amazon would run out of cash sometime in early 2001. Amazon mucky-mucks countered that they had plenty of cash on hand (over a billion dollars) and that there's nothing to worry about.

What is the truth? I'm not the guy to ask. I'd sure like to see Amazon stay afloat. What a disaster it would be for e-tailing if they went under! I'm certain that, one way or another, Amazon will keep going. Or maybe not.
Old 08-10-00, 08:19 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the love of God, don't invest in etailers!! You shop with them. Not a single etailer has ever made a profit off me. I assume that to be the case with most of us.

You have the inside track on profitability of etailers. While the market is hyping them, they are hemmorhaging (sp?) massive quantities of money!

You know this. You shop there. Other investors don't. Take advantage of the info you have.
Old 08-10-00, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoc:
For the love of God, don't invest in etailers!! You shop with them. Not a single etailer has ever made a profit off me. I assume that to be the case with most of us.

You have the inside track on profitability of etailers. While the market is hyping them, they are hemmorhaging (sp?) massive quantities of money!

You know this. You shop there. Other investors don't. Take advantage of the info you have.
<HR>

I agree Hoc...I have 36 preorders currently thru December...11 with amazon....and my cost per disc is $10.94!!!

I do not think I would feel comfortable investing in companies that are taking hits like this on a daily basis!!!!

Hey Hoc, this is what I think of etailer stock.....

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old 08-12-00, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear amazon is making money in their book, dvd, video and cd departments, the only reason they're still in the red is cause they keep opening new stores.

I was worried about their stock, today it went up $3&1/4! Hopefully this is the beginning of the trend. . .yes, I knocked on wood.
Old 08-12-00, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All those "free" dvds you buy using clicked for gcs (and presumably surveys too), amazon actually does make money off them. Freeride or whoever buys the gcs off amazon and then passes them onto you, amazon still gets the money. I mean it's possible that Freeride might get a small discount on bulk gc orders (like a few %) but I doubt it would be huge.

So never fear, you're not driving amazon into the red.

Chris
Old 08-13-00, 12:15 AM

I agree...Amazon gets money from Freeride ect for the gift certificates. Seems to me if they were in as serious of debt and were not making money off of the GC deals that they would be the first thing to go.