Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CDNOW - mixing pre-orders and in stock items...dangerous?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CDNOW - mixing pre-orders and in stock items...dangerous?

Old 08-09-00, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first time ordering from CDNOW... Their prices and shipping rates are highly unattractive but i took advantage of a free gc and the 10 dollar off 20 coupon as well as discounts through discover card for 15% off. My question is how are they when orders are mixed with pre-orders and in stock items. I've heard some horror stories with them and do I have anything to worry about? Do you think I will get my order promptly? Any experiences? btw i ordered platoon w/ a august 15 release date and High and Low Criterion.
Old 08-09-00, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your non-preorder items are in stock, they usually ship a few days after you place your order...this has been my experience when I've mixed them with pre-orders. If they're not in stock...well, I don't know.

If you have preorders that ship on different dates, sometimes they will hold the entire order until all of them are in stock; other times they will ship them as they come in.
Old 08-09-00, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And will charge extra shipping, which is atrocious to say the least.
Old 08-09-00, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your asking for trouble......

You might get your stuff early, or 2 months late.

------------------
OrO?!

Himura Kenshin - Ruroni Kenshin
Old 08-09-00, 11:58 PM

I had two pre-orders at CDnow and both were backordered for 2-3 weeks (ended up being 3 weeks to the day) on the day of their release. I avoid CDnow at all costs. YMMV.
Old 08-10-00, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by axolotls return:
And will charge extra shipping, which is atrocious to say the least.<HR>

Actually CDNOW still charges a flat $4.95 for DVD orders no matter how many you have in that same order.

Old 08-10-00, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I humbly disagree. I had two pre-orders in one order. they shipped them separately at a combined shipping of $7.35
Old 08-10-00, 08:32 AM

fantasia's info is correct. I recently had an order of five DVDs get split into four separate shipments. Shipping was a one time $4.95.

I don't understand why so many people complain about CDNow's prices. They meet or beat both Amazon's and Express.com's price on nearly everything. I always use my Freeride points for CDNow instead of Amazon GCs because I always get more for my "money" at CDNow (not to mention I get the GC numbers instantly). The only problem I had with them in the past was their insistance on shipping via UPS but they recently rectified that when they switched to the USPS.

To answer the original poster's question: I've had absolutely no problems mixing in stock with pre-order items.

[This message has been edited by Miser (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old 08-10-00, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by axolotls return:
Star Trek 2: Wrath Of Khan (Sensormatic) Star Trek 2: Wrath Of Khan (Sensormatic) 1 DVD 20.99 B Shipped 07/18/00
Space Jam / Special Edition Space Jam / Special Edition 1 DVD 17.49 B Shipped 07/21/00

Total Items: 2

Subtotal 38.48
Shipping and Handling 7.45
Tax 3.17
Total 49.10
Credit -40.00
<HR>

The $4.95 flat shipping rate is for U.S. orders only. It looks like you are a non-U.S. customer? That would explain it.

Old 08-10-00, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am in the US, which explains the tax. When was your last order with CDNow, perhaps they changed policies when they got saved by Beres987&*&S(* *however you spell their name)
Old 08-10-00, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I figured out what is going on. I guess my DVDs came from two different warehouses.

Orders combining different product lines
Our various product lines do not all ship from the same shipping center. When you combine items in your order that ship from more than one shipping center, some additional shipping charges will be incurred. However, your total shipping charges will be less than if you had placed separate orders for the different product lines.

Old 08-11-00, 02:51 AM

as an update, i just recieved an email confirmation saying they shipped my high and low dvd already and shipping was charged to that portion... so im guess when platoon ships, i wont get charged shipping again right... *crosses fingers*