Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The Amazon 10%-off-pocalypse

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The Amazon 10%-off-pocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Amazon Blu-ray Discounts and Deals Thread #5

For some reason I never seem to receive these offers. Whether it be Amazon, Best Buy or whomever it may be. So I sent off an email on my wifes account that rarely gets used. Just asked what I needed to qualify and they sent back an email giving me (um, I mean my wife ) a $30 promotional certificate.
Old 12-11-12, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
For some reason I never seem to receive these offers. Whether it be Amazon, Best Buy or whomever it may be. So I sent off an email on my wifes account that rarely gets used. Just asked what I needed to qualify and they sent back an email giving me (um, I mean my wife ) a $30 promotional certificate.
Who did you get a $30 promo from & what did you have to do to get it??
Old 12-11-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Just told them that I heard they were sending out 10% promo codes and wondered what I needed to do to qualify.

As far as who, the representatives name was Vijay T.
Old 12-11-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thank you!

I finally got it.
Old 12-11-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, I'd say! After I found it, I placed an order, then immediately came back here to post about it. No more than 3 minutes had passed. Well, I'm glad at least one person here, besides myself, was able to finally get it...
Old 12-12-12, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vermiknid
As Charlie Brown would say, "I got a rock!" I sent Amazon an e-mail about the 10% promotion and got a boilerplate -- "we encourage you to shop at our Outlet store" or "have a look at Today's Deals." Pffft!
When I get those I just resend the same email word for word. It has to do with the person who is reading it. If they are in a good mood or bad mood. I was shocked at getting the $97 32 inch LCD TVS by emailing/talking to them on the phone.
Old 12-12-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[rant]

I didn't get one of the 10% coupons (for what it's worth: Prime member, have Amazon Visa and Amazon store card, frequent shopper, never return items). I tried contacting them by phone and e-mail, with no luck.

I fucking hate these "targeted promotions." They piss me off to no end... treat your customers the same way, or treat your better customers better. Don't treat your worst customers the most favorably at the exclusion of your best. I was planning on buying a Canon lens ($720+) before the new year. A 10% off coupon would have saved me substantial money. Now, without the coupon, I'm not buying the lens (at least from Amazon), I've decided.

It makes me reconsider how much I shop with them.

[end rant]
Old 12-12-12, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
[rant]

I didn't get one of the 10% coupons (for what it's worth: Prime member, have Amazon Visa and Amazon store card, frequent shopper, never return items). I tried contacting them by phone and e-mail, with no luck.

I fucking hate these "targeted promotions." They piss me off to no end... treat your customers the same way, or treat your better customers better. Don't treat your worst customers the most favorably at the exclusion of your best. I was planning on buying a Canon lens ($720+) before the new year. A 10% off coupon would have saved me substantial money. Now, without the coupon, I'm not buying the lens (at least from Amazon), I've decided.

It makes me reconsider how much I shop with them.

[end rant]
That is up to you if you wish to buy it from them or now. In the end if you want it, you will need to buy it.

I have most of what you posted. But I do return items. See my post two years ago. I don't care. If something is bad. I will send it back. If they have a problem and cancel my account. Ok. I have have 6 domain names with as many emails address I want. Their system does not see it.

It does little to rant other then to rant. Just call them and keep calling them or emailing them. Till you get someone that is having a good day. As for the 10% I had email them 3 times, till I got someone that went thought my orders for the last 2 weeks. She gave me 10% off on everyone of them. Just don't tell them how much you spend. Don't tell them what your going to spend, just don't use the word I will buy it from someone else.

These people don't care, why should they. In 10 days most will not have a job.

FYI, I called the other day about some movies that I sent to a friend. I had order the very same movies and they all came. She did not get her movies. Again the very same movies. The lady said she was going to give me a $20 we are sorry. I told her, I did not want it. I wanted my friend to have her Godzilla movies. Not only did she over night a movie (The order was cancel, and I was never charged). She did not charge her for it. An gave me $20. On top of all that. Her Godzilla movies where all refund to my account. Again I never asked. I just wanted to know how come I got my movies and she did not get her movies.

Its all how you talk to people.
Old 12-12-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by drq2
Its all how you talk to people.
Your own story refutes that. You talked to them 3 times... unless you had a markedly different approach each time, it's not "how you talk to people." It's the luck of the draw on to whom you get to talk.

Anyway, back to the discounts. This should probably be in the Store Forum anyway, but we were already talking about it.
Old 12-12-12, 01:50 PM

Your own story refutes that. You talked to them 3 times... unless you had a markedly different approach each time, it's not "how you talk to people." It's the luck of the draw on to whom you get to talk.

Anyway, back to the discounts. This should probably be in the Store Forum anyway, but we were already talking about it.
It was the same way each time. The 3rd person took the time and seen what I was talking about. She seen that all my orders where find but my friends all had a problem. She never did find why it happen but she did see it. The 2 others just did not seem to care. The 3rd person was having a good day, she was happy when I called her. The other 2 seem to be looking at the clock.

I posted this here only being it was about the discount. Yes there are times I don't get them. But for the most part I get them. Every CS has heard every story you can think of. The TV that I was talking about I got 3 of them for $97 each. They where in my cart. They could see that they where in my cart and they could see it would not let me check out. I did not push the issue but 3 days later. I get a email from Amazon to give them a call. They sold me all 3 with shipping, tax, and TV fee for $114. I was not rude. I did not tell them I would buy them else where. An they seen I was not trying to get something pass them.

I will say. Call them in the day time and in US time. You will get someone in the US. They care more then the call centers.

Getting back to the point. If you would have told me what about the lens. I would have told you to buy it from someone else. No one owns any customer anything. This is 2012, there are to many customers and to many sellers to pick from.
Old 12-12-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by drq2
It was the same way each time. The 3rd person took the time and seen what I was talking about. She seen that all my orders where find but my friends all had a problem. She never did find why it happen but she did see it. The 2 others just did not seem to care. The 3rd person was having a good day, she was happy when I called her. The other 2 seem to be looking at the clock.

I posted this here only being it was about the discount. Yes there are times I don't get them. But for the most part I get them. Every CS has heard every story you can think of. The TV that I was talking about I got 3 of them for $97 each. They where in my cart. They could see that they where in my cart and they could see it would not let me check out. I did not push the issue but 3 days later. I get a email from Amazon to give them a call. They sold me all 3 with shipping, tax, and TV fee for $114. I was not rude. I did not tell them I would buy them else where. An they seen I was not trying to get something pass them.

I will say. Call them in the day time and in US time. You will get someone in the US. They care more then the call centers.

Getting back to the point. If you would have told me what about the lens. I would have told you to buy it from someone else. No one owns any customer anything. This is 2012, there are to many customers and to many sellers to pick from.
Ok, whatever you say, dude. Your "3 tv" story is somehow more valid than my lens issue. Move on, man.
Old 12-12-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Amazon CSR Issues

It's my understanding that each customer service rep is given a certain amount of credit to dole out each day, so their generosity really depends on how soon you talk to a rep after their shift starts. By the end of their shifts, they couldn't hand out promotional credit if they wanted, since their daily allotment has already been used up.
Old 12-12-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's my understanding that each customer service rep is given a certain amount of credit to dole out each day, so their generosity really depends on how soon you talk to a rep after their shift starts. By the end of their shifts, they couldn't hand out promotional credit if they wanted, since their daily allotment has already been used up.
Very interesting information. Thank you.

Edit: Just to follow up, I sent in what was meant to be a long hail-mary message stating my dissatisfaction. It was less of a "fix this particular issue" and more of a "could you please pass this on to fix this on a macro level" letter. And I received a form letter in response (identical to the ones I saw on another site), which pissed me off something fierce. So I called in and got my first US based representative, who spent maybe 1 minute looking at the notes, completely understood what I was saying, and applied the promotional credit to my account. Lens ordered. That dude is going to get a glowing letter via mail (already submitted them via e-mail).

I hate to be a dick, but every single other person I spoke with was Indian. It may be coincidence, but they could not have cared less, and there was an outright language barrier at several times.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 12-12-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I hate to be a dick, but every single other person I spoke with was Indian. It may be coincidence, but they could not have cared less, and there was an outright language barrier at several times.
I have had the same issue this week regarding an order that has gone missing. The people that I am speaking to are just not comprehending what I am trying to say. They just rush right back to the script.
Old 12-12-12, 05:08 PM

Can't we move this to some kind of Amazon CSR thread, please?
Old 12-12-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gee, I wonder how Lizard feels about the direction this thread has taken lately. Will he start another new one?
Old 12-12-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Gee, I wonder how Lizard feels about the direction this thread has taken lately. Will he start another new one?
That's why I felt obligated to mention it yesterday when he actually posted some deals.
Old 12-12-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Amazon 10%-off-pocalypse

I'm glad this discussion was moved, although my post relating to Vengeance Trilogy was accidentally moved with it. Oops! :P
Old 12-12-12, 09:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I sent a polite email asking about the promotion and was given a $15 credit.
Old 12-12-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured I'd try it again, since I was shut down the first time. Although I wasn't given a credit, I was told that if I placed an order, they would then post a 10% credit for me. So, I placed a $246 order, and contacted them again. Hopefully they follow through and give me the $24.60 credit... I suppose a credit up front would have been more ideal, but at least I'm ordering things I would have anyway...
Old 12-12-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I heard Best Buy is sending out some $5 to $10 RZ certs randomly to different people. I'm doubting I'll get one since I already got a free $20 cert out of them recently after complaining they wouldn't price match Amazon on something I was interested in. Well I guess everyone should start scrambling over to Best Buy now for some more free money.
Old 12-13-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On Live Chat this very minute with Carlos! (that's how I imagine he says his name, with the ! on the end) awaiting my decision.

You are now connected to Carlos from Amazon.com.

Me: Good morning. I belong to a movie collector forum, and several members are reporting that they have received an e-mail from Amazon with a "10% off your next order" code. I was wondering if I was eligible as well, as I have not received the e-mail.

Carlos: Hello John, my name is Carlos. I hope you're doing well. I'll be happy to help you with your inquiry.
Would you mind waiting for a couple of minutes while I research further on this?

Me: Sure thing.

Carlos: Thank you. Thank you for waiting John. I was checking some information and I verified that promotion was offered by invitation only to a limited group of customers, and is valid only for the e-mail addresses to which it was sent. We regret that we cannot extend this offer to other customers.

Me: I see. So it wasn't an across-the-board promotion, it was more a throw-a-dart-at-a-name type of thing.

Carlos: Well this time they were elected for this promotion. If there is a similar promo on the future, you might be eligible for it while other customers might not. I hope you'll be able to take advantage of one of our future promotions.

Me: Understood. Thank you for your time, Carlos!
So there you have it right from the mouth of Carlos!.

Last edited by Whiskey Warfield; 12-13-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Carlos is the name of the guy who helped me yesterday. Good luck, man.
Old 12-13-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carlos! gave me nothing but Carlos! did send me an e-mail further explaining that I was out of luck.
Old 12-15-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one of these, unfortunately it was the version which requires a minimum $300 purchase, which I have no hope of hitting (I have the Wish Lists for it, but can't spend that much all at once). So I'd love to take advantage of it, I just can't afford it.

I've placed 75 orders with them so far this year, all at least $25 apiece, but not very many for more than $60 or so at a time. I would have thought that they'd consider that before sending me a code that requires such a high minimum purchase but perhaps they were hoping to get me to spend a lot more?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.