Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Bought Oldboy LE from seller MovieMars on Amazon for about $37.00 + shipping about 10 days ago.

Just got a email that it was canceled because the item you purchased is out of stock..
But they had it in stock for at least the last 7 days and listed at almost $100 now.

Just a movie but POS scalpers on Amazon.
Now I ordered the same movie from a different seller that said it has shipped.
I did this because both sellers had about 90% pos feedback, and was not sure if they would both ship.
And I was right about one seller. Now if I received two, I would probably just keep both,as I have not traded or sold movies in along time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all
Yeah, I stay far away from MovieMars, and I advise anyone else who is considering buying from them to do the same. I bought a few movies from them a few years back and they claimed they shipped my order, and after a week and a half tracking still showed that the label was simply created, but not physically shipped. I had to email them a few times but finally did get a refund.
Old 10-17-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

rjh thanks for the info. At least one other poster here has also had problems with Moviemars. I was not charged so nothing lost.
But it a good too exchange or post feedback on these sellers good or bad.

I have not bought much from secondary sellers on Amazon. I'll have to check my history,but I'm sure I bought some items from a
secondary seller or maybe it was a warehouse deal. I have one item coming from another secondary seller .I'll post again once I receive the item, it might be a few weeks as it is coming from the UK.
Old 10-17-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

I've never had issues with MovieMars, though their shipping isn't the fastest and customer service is less than perfect.
Old 10-19-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

^Thanks for the info.
Looks like MovieMars is base in the UK and also sells on Amazon.UK and eBay.
Now only one seller has Oldboy LE listed on Amazon. They might have pulled it because it changed from Oldboy to a Trilogy.
I do not believe anyone is paying $100+ for this so soon when Arrow has the other Trilogy. set coming out in December.

Also the 3 or 4 sellers that I looked at so far all had positive feedback in the 90 too 93% range. Not bad.
Old 10-19-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 653 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
^Thanks for the info.
Looks like MovieMars is base in the UK and also sells on Amazon.UK and eBay.
Now only one seller has Oldboy LE listed on Amazon. They might have pulled it because it changed from Oldboy to a Trilogy.
I do not believe anyone is paying $100+ for this so soon when Arrow has the other Trilogy. set coming out in December.

Also the 3 or 4 sellers that I looked at so far all had positive feedback in the 90 too 93% range. Not bad.
Movie Mars (moviemars.com) is a US based seller. They do sell lots of import titles. I ordered an OOP title before that they had listed (from them directly though) and it turned out to be an R4 title. Something they didn't indicate on the site. I was able to do a return on their dime and got the refund quickly. I've ordered several things from their Amazon US presence and have never had any issues. It's interesting that they have an Amazon.UK presence as on their site they say they don't ship internationally.
Old 10-20-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 347 Posts

If amazon has zero interest in actually delivering my packages on the date they state when I place the order they should just leave the delivery date blank or put something like "you will get your package when we damn well feel like it."
Old 10-21-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

MovieMars is an American media wholesale distributor based out of North Carolina,if I am not mistaken. They've been around for years and years selling movies and music.They usually have great prices on European imports, which is how I became familiar with them. One of the few non-Alliance owned net media retailers left.
Old 10-22-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had issues with Amazon for awhile lately, but now have had back to back problems. We moved recently and ordered a kitchen table to be delivered on Friday. After they missed their return window it said it would be delivered by the end of the day. Now here we are on Tuesday and still no kitchen table and not a peep from Amazon

And just yesterday it said a package was delivered. I looked at the photo they took of the delivery and noticed right away that wasn't our front porch. After walking down the street I found it five houses down. At least I got to meet a new neighbor.
Old 10-22-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts

I used Amazon Hub for the first time today. Super easy and fast. It was delivered to a Gordman's department store. They just scan the email code and handed me the package.
Old 10-22-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I haven't had issues with Amazon for awhile lately, but now have had back to back problems. We moved recently and ordered a kitchen table to be delivered on Friday. After they missed their return window it said it would be delivered by the end of the day. Now here we are on Tuesday and still no kitchen table and not a peep from Amazon

And just yesterday it said a package was delivered. I looked at the photo they took of the delivery and noticed right away that wasn't our front porch. After walking down the street I found it five houses down. At least I got to meet a new neighbor.
Is the USPS or another actual carrier delivering these, or they using "gig economy" workers?

Old 10-22-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea. I just got an email about the table though, it's being sent back to the warehouse and they issued a refund. Doesn't help us much though since we have no table.
Old 10-23-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 900 Likes on 724 Posts

Another reason to NOT shop Amazon. As of 10/1/19, several states (including CA and TX) have forced Amazon to collect sales taxes on all Marketplace sales to that state. Even though you're buying an item from a person in another state, Amazon now adds (this sales tax, 9.25% 'tariff' in my state) on those Marketplace purchases. So, the last great bastion of tax-free shopping on Amazon has bitten the dust, and I'll definitely not be shopping there from now on. All 3rd party marketplace items have gone up 9.25% across the entire board for those in rich California! Absolutely terrible...
Old 10-23-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts

I never shopped Amazon (or other online stores) ONLY because of savings on tax.
Old 10-23-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 693 Posts

Stop shopping Amazon because they're being forced to do something by state laws?
Old 10-23-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 194 Posts

I guess I can ask a question here about Amazon UK. I've dealt with them for several years and have never had a problem. I ordered a copy of the "Don't Look Now"4k and it never showed up. Fortunately, Amazon quickly and easily gave me a refund. In the meantime, they sent out my copy of Arrow's "Oldboy" package. Generally, I get things a week or two before the projected date, but this went over that by at least a week, and because of the previous problem, I was worried, convinced it wasn't showing up either. I stepped out this morning and there was the package on my doorstep in the dark, -it must have come in the evening. Glad to have it, of course, but I'm wondering...

This was sent by Asendia, -do they go through the USPS mail or is it more of a UPS-style delivery service?
Also, -when I buy from Amazon UK, I'm offered three shipping options and prices, -what are the differences? I usually take the standard, but it offers tracking until it leaves the UK...
Old 10-23-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
I guess I can ask a question here about Amazon UK. I've dealt with them for several years and have never had a problem. I ordered a copy of the "Don't Look Now"4k and it never showed up. Fortunately, Amazon quickly and easily gave me a refund. In the meantime, they sent out my copy of Arrow's "Oldboy" package. Generally, I get things a week or two before the projected date, but this went over that by at least a week, and because of the previous problem, I was worried, convinced it wasn't showing up either. I stepped out this morning and there was the package on my doorstep in the dark, -it must have come in the evening. Glad to have it, of course, but I'm wondering...

This was sent by Asendia, -do they go through the USPS mail or is it more of a UPS-style delivery service?
Also, -when I buy from Amazon UK, I'm offered three shipping options and prices, -what are the differences? I usually take the standard, but it offers tracking until it leaves the UK...
Everything I've ordered from Amazon UK ships via Asendia and is delivered by USPS. The exceptions are with UK MP vendors who don't necessarily use Asendia but those packages, too, get delivered by USPS.
Old 10-23-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Everything I've ordered from Amazon UK ships via Asendia and is delivered by USPS. The exceptions are with UK MP vendors who don't necessarily use Asendia but those packages, too, get delivered by USPS.
I believe I've had some things sent by Royal Mail and I had one item sent by IPARCEL EU.
Old 10-23-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan
Stop shopping Amazon because they're being forced to do something by state laws?
With this new "law", our state sales tax is now like a Federal tax, or VAT. We should only have to pay sales tax for in-state purchases from vendors located in our physical state. If an Amazon 3rd party seller is located in another state, selling physical goods NOT located in my state, I should NOT have to pay state sales tax. Otherwise, what's the point of shopping at Amazon, when one can purchase (most) of these goods locally, still having to pay the state sales tax?

I probably saved thousands of dollars in tax purchasing goods from Amazon 3rd-party sellers in the past. It was significant, and I'd always feel I was getting a much better deal at Amazon. Not anymore, I'm feeling doubly-ripped off, first by Amazon, next by my State. It just means that I'll be purchasing far less online now. I guess that's the intention of this "federal VAT", attempting to have people purchase goods locally, rather than from some distant state, since the state sales tax is going to get charged anyway.
Old 10-24-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
With this new "law", our state sales tax is now like a Federal tax, or VAT. We should only have to pay sales tax for in-state purchases from vendors located in our physical state. If an Amazon 3rd party seller is located in another state, selling physical goods NOT located in my state, I should NOT have to pay state sales tax. Otherwise, what's the point of shopping at Amazon, when one can purchase (most) of these goods locally, still having to pay the state sales tax?

I probably saved thousands of dollars in tax purchasing goods from Amazon 3rd-party sellers in the past. It was significant, and I'd always feel I was getting a much better deal at Amazon. Not anymore, I'm feeling doubly-ripped off, first by Amazon, next by my State. It just means that I'll be purchasing far less online now. I guess that's the intention of this "federal VAT", attempting to have people purchase goods locally, rather than from some distant state, since the state sales tax is going to get charged anyway.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying; boycotting the reseller because they're having to comply to state laws seems silly.
Old 10-24-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,036 Likes on 733 Posts

Theoretically, you were always supposed to pay that tax. They don't call it a sales tax, rather a California 'use' tax, if the item is purchased from a seller in another state.

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/taxes-and-f...%20California.
Old 10-24-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, now they're forcing it upon us. And to me, "use tax" = VAT = tariff. I'll bet only around 0.1% of people actually paid any "use" tax on their 540 forms. That also means, probably, that Amazon will now be sending information on our purchasing history to the State as well, or does it? This is just an excuse for the state to get ~9.25% of the "billions and billions" of dollars of the Amazon purchases. I wonder how much they paid Amazon for that?

Shopping on the internet used to be GREAT 10 - 20 years ago. No sales tax, and very often, free shipping. You just couldn't go wrong vs. locally shopping. Now, Internet shopping is no better than shopping locally, and often more expensive because of shipping & tax. The experience of shopping from home has been ruined now, and it's a real shame.
Old 10-28-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

That also means, probably, that Amazon will now be sending information on our purchasing history to the State as well, or does it?
It does not. Don't be ridiculous.
Old 10-29-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, Internet shopping is no better than shopping locally, and often more expensive because of shipping & tax. The experience of shopping from home has been ruined now, and it's a real shame.
Not at all... There are lots of things I purchase that just aren't available locally - much of it media products and board games with *some* grocery, electronics, toys, and other home products. Even if I pay the same price as picking up something in the store I'd rather do online as it's delivered to my door (I always make sure to order enough for free shipping).

I'd love to support local vendors more - if they'd just carry what I want to purchase. If I want sporting goods, hunting goods (two categories I never purchase from), automotive, clothing, grocery, lawn care, home repair, or some furniture items I'm pretty well fixed up but other stuff? Not going to get it here...
Old 10-29-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,036 Likes on 733 Posts

Okay, here's my complaint... I used Prime 2-day shipping for a BD on October 23rd, and here is the tracking (rearranged to be in chronological order):

Thursday, 24 October
1:03 PM Package has shipped Mississauga, ON CA
Shipment received by carrier MISSISSAUGA, ON CA

Tuesday, 29 October
3:40 AM Arrival Scan SASKATOON, SK CA
6:39 AM Departure Scan SASKATOON, SK CA
4:38 PM Arrival Scan SASKATOON, SK CA

For reference, Mississauga is about an hour's drive away. Saskatoon is about about a 30 hour drive.

In all fairness, this may not be an Amazon problem, but instead a Canada Post problem. In fact, I expect that's the case.

I just wish Amazon would stick with another carrier they've been using, as they've been very reliable, and also deliver on Saturdays and Sundays. In addition, they send you an email when your package is out for delivery, with the driver's name, which item is currently being delivered, and which number is yours.

For example:

Your order INTLCMA12345678 is scheduled to be delivered in the next 3 hours by our driver Wilfred.
Wilfred is currently completing delivery number 63, you are delivery number 109.
Old 10-30-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 347 Posts

Oh look, another preorder that I placed the second it went live that is late. Not only is it two days late but now it shows it is backordered for two months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.