Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have a suspicion that those delivery photos will one day turn into "The delivery photo shows it was at your door. If it's missing then you need to file a police report." type canned response and you'll be stuck with the loss.
Until there is scamming by the delivery person taking photos and then stealing the product themselves.
Old 07-22-19, 07:54 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

This has happened a couple times before, but I got a notification of a package out for delivery on Saturday. I click the notification and see that it's 8 stops away. An hour goes by and I look up the status and there is no map anymore, but it's still out for delivery. Now, the status changed to "On the way, but it's running late" with an estimated delivery date of Thursday.
Old 07-24-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

I am one of the few people who still buys CDs and amazon has nothing in stock. If they do it is an import so there is no telling what you will end up with.
Old 07-25-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I love Amazon and have had little to bitch about... however, today I noticed that my Echo Show has the flickering screen of death... this will be my 3rd replacement already. Ridiculous.
Old 07-26-19, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have a suspicion that those delivery photos will one day turn into "The delivery photo shows it was at your door. If it's missing then you need to file a police report." type canned response and you'll be stuck with the loss.
There is an opt-out option for the delivery photos. It's buried as deep as possible, but it's there, or was a year or more ago when I placed my last Amazon order and discovered this "feature" by sheerest accident. I then made absolutely sure to disable photos, for the highly probable future reason you state above. Amazon's just grooming people for more police-state tactics in the future, by taking photos. No, damn it, I DO NOT give permission, and I'm entitled to say so because it's my own private property.
Old 07-26-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Could it be maybe that they are doing it to keep track of their delivery people and not customers? Seeing that their delivery network is basically Uber for Amazon packages at this point.
Old 07-26-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rejoined Prime recently because I was going to place an order over $300 and I needed all of it within two days because I ran out of cat food and had birthday for someone that I had forgot. The order page shows that they are splitting up the order into five different shipments and I just received an email that each one is delayed and they will now be here in three days instead of two. I guess my cats will have to miss few meals.
Old 07-27-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just received two CDs that were put in an 24 X 18 inch box from amazon. No padding inside, just the two CDs. Luckily they are both digipacks because I can only imagine what jewel cases would look like after banging around inside that box for three days.
Old 08-07-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

FedEx will no longer offer ground delivery to Amazon

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/busin...ing/index.html
Many of my past orders that involved heavy items were delivered by FedEx so I guess UPS now will take most of that weight along with USPS.
Old 08-09-19, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm glad they're ditching FedEx - who is pretty awful in my area, leaving packages out in the middle of the driveway, tossing them in the yard, etc.
Old 08-10-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon needs to ditch LaserShip next.
Old 08-11-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

The delivery photo was useful for me recently. I got notification that my package was delivered, but it wasn't on my porch. I looked at the photo and determined they had incorrectly delivered it a few doors down, so I just walked down the street and picked up my package.
Old 08-16-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pre-ordered American Gangster 4K blu-ray. The price has dropped to $23.99. My pre-order price is still at $25.45 and has not gone down.

Edit: I had to cancel and re-preorder. How strange. Got Scarface 4K on pre-order as well and no issues with that one seeing the lowest price reflect. Must be a glitchy system thing.

Last edited by Sonic; 08-21-19 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Amazon even USE boxes anymore for smaller stuff? I had a couple items shipped this week, both of which were fragile/oversized enough to warrant a box and both came STUFFED into one of their large manila envelopes. Both had some damage, but not to the point where I needed to send the item back - however, had this been something like a collector's set or limited item, I would have been ticked. It makes me concerned about some pre-books I have for later in the year. I'd honestly rather have slower (I'm a PRIME member) shipping if they can guarantee a box over an envelope.
Old 09-06-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

^
If you order a pack or AAA batteries as an add-on item with a book they'll ship the batteries in a box and the book in a shitty envelope.

A few years ago, I read complaints from people about them doing just that. An order would be split and something cheap like a magic marker or batteries would arrive well-packaged in a box, while something large and fragile, like a hard drive or camera, would arrive poorly packaged and damaged.
Old 09-06-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
^
If you order a pack or AAA batteries as an add-on item with a book they'll ship the batteries in a box and the book in a shitty envelope.

A few years ago, I read complaints from people about them doing just that. An order would be split and something cheap like a magic marker or batteries would arrive well-packaged in a box, while something large and fragile, like a hard drive or camera, would arrive poorly packaged and damaged.
And after something like this happens you get to read 25 pages of "well nothing like this has ever happened to me so you must be lying" posts. Then they follow it with how you should feel honored to pay amazon for Prime.

I recently ordered 6 CDs and some watch batteries. Each CD was sent out in their own mailer envelope complete with broken cases and the hubs that hold the CD in place. The batteries came in a 14 inch by 18 inch box by themselves without even any padding. They just bounced around in there. The pack of batteries was probably 3 inches by 4 inches and about an ounce in weight.
Old 09-06-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure there's a regulation that batteries have to be shipped in something that has prevention from being crushed (a box) which would keep them (or anyone) from shipping them in a bubble mailer.
Old 09-06-19, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Does Amazon even USE boxes anymore for smaller stuff? I had a couple items shipped this week, both of which were fragile/oversized enough to warrant a box and both came STUFFED into one of their large manila envelopes. Both had some damage, but not to the point where I needed to send the item back - however, had this been something like a collector's set or limited item, I would have been ticked. It makes me concerned about some pre-books I have for later in the year. I'd honestly rather have slower (I'm a PRIME member) shipping if they can guarantee a box over an envelope.
I can confirm that they do, in fact, still use boxes. I ordered a few things a couple of weeks ago, one of which was a CD and Amazon sent it to me in a big box with just one of those air-filled pieces of plastic Luckily it wasn't damaged, and I don't even want to try to understand the reasoning behind their packaging methods.
Old 09-06-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Pretty sure there's a regulation that batteries have to be shipped in something that has prevention from being crushed (a box) which would keep them (or anyone) from shipping them in a bubble mailer.
But does the box need to be the size of a school bus?
​​
Old 09-06-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
But does the box need to be the size of a school bus?
​​
Nah but they probably have some AI that determines what's cheaper for them; using a box that's closer to the pick location in the warehouse or moving the item to another location in the warehouse where there are smaller boxes available. If it's cheaper for them to use a big box, that's what they're going to use.

My comment was more to explain why they arrived separately from the CDs in padded envelopes.

Most everything I buy from Amazon comes in either one of those plastic bubble mailers (white with the Amazon logo) or the box that's probably the same size as the one you described. I've only gotten those paper mailers with styrofoam nonsense inbetween the layers a couple times.
Old 09-06-19, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just received replacement "cheek Pads" for a motorcycle helmet that would have been fine in a bag and they were shipped in a box. Of course a Map was sent in a plastic bubble type envelope but arrived fine. They were sent via different carriers.. Box via UPS and envelope via USPS.
Old 09-07-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I’ve shipped around 100k packages in my lifetime.

Using a bubble mailer for UPS or Fedex Ground or USPS other than First Class is a terrible idea. That stuff does not get handled well.

Bubble mailers are fine for USPS First Class and Fedex and UPS Express. It’s also ok when your product is simply heavy duty.
Old 09-07-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Amazon only cares about saving money. They know what they are doing, down to the penny. And down to the cubic inch.

If they save $5M on packaging, and lose $4.5M on refunds and adjustments, they will choose to save $5M on packaging. Likewise, if it saves .05 per package on labor, they consider that too.
Old 09-09-19, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rjh_54
I can confirm that they do, in fact, still use boxes. I ordered a few things a couple of weeks ago, one of which was a CD and Amazon sent it to me in a big box with just one of those air-filled pieces of plastic Luckily it wasn't damaged, and I don't even want to try to understand the reasoning behind their packaging methods.
I'd love to know what the "standard" is for shipping...I mean, are they just letting the employees decide at random? Sure seems like it these days.
Old 09-09-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'd love to know what the "standard" is for shipping...I mean, are they just letting the employees decide at random? Sure seems like it these days.
I think the system automatically tells them what kind of box or envelope to use. I doubt they would leave to the discretion of their warehouse slaves. There are size and weight considerations for shipping, so they probably see that you bought DVD boxed set "X" so that ships out in a #7 box. Drop it in the box, label it, put a little tape on it (not too much, your tape usage is being monitored), and throw it on the conveyor belt. And do it in four seconds or we'll fire you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.