Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 09-11-22, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by slop101
That link works, but it still won't come up when I do a search for that exact product in the search bar, even under the "movies & TV" section.
Amazon does this all the time. You have to go outside Amazon using Google's search or first find the product code from an outside site like Camelcamelcamel.

I believe it's tied to regional warehouse differences.
Old 09-11-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon does this all the time. You have to go outside Amazon using Google's search or first find the product code from an outside site like Camelcamelcamel.

I believe it's tied to regional warehouse differences.
Yeah, on the link that works, it's not telling me that I'll get it on, or even near the release date, like I do with almost any other pre-order.
Old 09-13-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Shocker! Another late package but this time they decided to drop off someone else's instead.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I learned something about Amazon tonight that I didn't know. I'm guessing maybe most of you do, but I sure didn't.

My last three orders from Amazon have all been delayed (if it matters, I am a PRIME member and all three of these were in stock when I placed the order). One of these got pushed back a week and finally got delivered, the second of the three got pushed back a week and then I got informed it wasn't coming until October. I was able to cancel this one.

My most-recent order was late and one week after placing my order, it was still listing as not even shipped from Amazon's warehouse. So I tried to cancel this and the website said I could not. So I talked to a CSR and she told me that the item (despite being listed as In Stock, both when I ordered it and today) was not available at the warehouse closest to my location, so they are procuring it from another warehouse. No, they're NOT shipping it from the warehouse where it's in stock directly to me, they're shipping it to my nearest warehouse, which will, in turn, ship it to me. So basically, I'm stuck waiting for this item as they still refuse to cancel it. Why they can't ship it directly from the warehouse it's at to my house is beyond me...there must be some kind of caveat where it's cheaper for them to send it to their warehouse first.

Anyway...the more you know....

EDIT: Lest there's any confusion about the above, yes, I realize that Amazon trucks, etc., generally take things from one center to the next, where the items are moved onto a second truck for delivery. That's not what was explained to me...she told me the item actually has to be put into inventory of the warehouse, then packaged and shipped out to me (meaning an extra day or two for this to happen). Which, unless she's been misinformed, seems just weird.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-15-22 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another late package. This time amazon didn't get the package to USPS in time. All of the other times they were late it was shipped by amazon directly. I had to get a new credit card so instead of changing the info for all of my preorders I just cancelled everything along with Prime and will shop elsewhere.
Old 09-16-22, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Considering the amount of times you’ve posted in here, I’m surprised you didn’t go that route ages ago.
TomOpus (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I just reordered everything from Bullmoose and place a few orders there for my mom as well. See how it goes. It can't be worse.
Old 09-16-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Considering the amount of times you’ve posted in here, I’m surprised you didn’t go that route ages ago.
Yeah. Seems like 90% of the posts in this thread are his. Guess he's just a glutton for punishment.
Old 09-19-22, 05:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've given up on Amazon ever hitting the 1 or 2 day promise. Ive moved 3 times in the 15 years Prime has been around and every place I go I seem to be the last place they deliver. So not only is it not on time, I have to wait until 8 oclock at night sometimes.
Old 10-08-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm going to take the complaints in a different direction...
  • At least once a week, I am signed out of Amazon Shopping and Kindle on my phone. Which means that I have to re-sign in, including the 2FA, and that 'Keep me signed in' is meaningless; and on the Kindle app, I have to redownload any books I had downloaded. Which means I might have to scroll back like 10 pages in my virtual library to find the book I'm currently reading. And even worse when, admittedly, a lot of what I'm reading are generic thrillers or sci fi I've gotten free from Amazon via Bookbub.
  • Echo devices will no longer let me play a song by name. I swear I used to be able to say "Alexa, play [song name] from my library" and it would play that song. (I have Amazon Music as my default, and a good chunk of my music library was uploaded to it before they stopped that). It won't even let me do that for music I have recently purchased on Amazon. It says only Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers can play songs by name. Really annoying, especially since it was a feature it used to have.
  • We play Jeopardy nightly on Alexa. Pretty much every single time it says "You have earned a reward! Subscribe now!" You'd think it'd learn after refusing 146 times, we're not interested.
  • On a good note - if you say "Alexa shut the f*** up" she does.
PhantomStranger (10-13-22)
Old 10-08-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My latest gripe about Amazon Music is that as a non subscriber to Unlimited, I can no longer play many songs I've purchased as part of albums. When I go to the albums, the songs show that I must be subscribed to be able to play them.

The songs ares still available as individual songs.

Therefore after many contacts to the help desk (voice, chat, email) customer support almost unanimously stated to me that as I still have access to the songs individually, there is nothing they need to do to fix the issue.
Old 10-09-22, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
[*]Echo devices will no longer let me play a song by name. I swear I used to be able to say "Alexa, play [song name] from my library" and it would play that song.
Consider me baffled. I don't have Echo, never will, and couldn't stand the constant intrusions, but one feature that might be good about it is that one could say "Play xxx song by xxx artist" and the damn thing should just DO it.

What, pray tell, do you have to do instead? Which Amazon idiot thought that *any* other way than the direct, expedient way I just stated could possibly work? And why the fuck did they change it?
Old 10-09-22, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Echo devices will no longer let me play a song by name. I swear I used to be able to say "Alexa, play [song name] from my library" and it would play that song.
I tested and did not have any problem playing songs from my library by song name.

Originally Posted by b2net
My latest gripe about Amazon Music is that as a non subscriber to Unlimited, I can no longer play many songs I've purchased as part of albums. When I go to the albums, the songs show that I must be subscribed to be able to play them.

The songs ares still available as individual songs.
So, I think the problem with this happens when the albums are digitally reissued due to changes with labels or rights holders and such. The original digital album that you purchased (or got matched to through Auto-Rip if you bought the CD) is no longer available in the current catalog. When you search for the album, it only shows the currently available album, and so it says you need to subscribe to play it, since you have no rights to it. However, your original album purchase is still available in your Library. For albums like this, I haven't found a way to search just your library and have it override the search results from the general catalog. If you navigate to the original album in your Library by browsing your Library by "Artist" or "Album", you should find it and find that it is playable.

One annoying thing that happens is if you're playing one of these songs from your Library, and you choose "View Album" to go to the full album, it'll go to the new (unowned) version of the album in the general catalog rather than the version of the owned album you're playing it from in your Library.
Old 10-09-22, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I tested and did not have any problem playing songs from my library by song name.

So, I think the problem with this happens when the albums are digitally reissued due to changes with labels or rights holders and such. The original digital album that you purchased (or got matched to through Auto-Rip if you bought the CD) is no longer available in the current catalog. When you search for the album, it only shows the currently available album, and so it says you need to subscribe to play it, since you have no rights to it. However, your original album purchase is still available in your Library. For albums like this, I haven't found a way to search just your library and have it override the search results from the general catalog. If you navigate to the original album in your Library by browsing your Library by "Artist" or "Album", you should find it and find that it is playable.

One annoying thing that happens is if you're playing one of these songs from your Library, and you choose "View Album" to go to the full album, it'll go to the new (unowned) version of the album in the general catalog rather than the version of the owned album you're playing it from in your Library.
I have experimented with this quite a bit. If I navigate to the album by title or the album by artist, it is same thing. Some or all the songs can only be played with a subscription. The support agents all told me they are aware of this yet it is low priority as we can still get to each song individually. As in since the songs can still be played albeit not in context of the album, there is nothing they can readily do for us.
​​​​​​
At this behavior is same in almost all of these scenarios. Roku App, Android phone app, Windows 10 Laptop with any browser, Windows Amazon Music App. There is 1 way on Laptop (can't remember which one) where it still played in context of album and artist.

Basically I gave up trying and play everything owned via songs.

Thankfully as I obtained new music I had immediately downloaded the MP3s for offline play via my car's USB input. Because even attempting re-download from an album only downloads "available" songs.

Lesson learned is to continue to immediately download. btw, the collection is between 3000-4000 songs. And affected any number of songs, thus increasing the annoyance.
Old 10-19-22, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife bought a MacBook pro during Prime day...

Was supposed to be delivered on Sunday - it wasn't.
Was then supposed to show up on Monday - it wasn't.
Then it was gonna arrive Yesterday... it wasn't.

Now they say that is may be "lost" and that we can cancel if we like.
Cancel? Fuck you! We pay for Prime, and this was supposed to arrive days ago! If you can't find that thing you shipped, send another one ASAP! How does the toothpaste we ordered at the same time show up in one day, but an expensive lap-top disappears?
Old 10-21-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

^ One of their gig drivers saw it was a MacBook and stole it?
rduncan (10-21-22)
Old 10-26-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
^ One of their gig drivers saw it was a MacBook and stole it?
Maybe. It never got to "out for delivery".
After lots of complaining (more than we should have), they sent us another one, which we did end up receiving.

Something else... I've found that even though we have Prime, their shipping on things have started getting further and further out.
I have a preorder on something that was supposed to be delivered on it's release date next month, but then they "updated" the delivery date (release date stayed the same) to THREE weeks after release date. WTF?

So I canceled, re-ordered, but this time I put it that I'll pick up from the local Amazon-Fresh store (it's directly on my way home to work), and the available date is now back to the initial release date.
Old 10-28-22, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

That’s why I don’t use Amazon anymore except in rare cases. They’re too big to give a shit about the complaints of one person. It’s all on you the customer to figure it out if their logistics break down.
Old 10-28-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That’s why I don’t use Amazon anymore except in rare cases. They’re too big to give a shit about the complaints of one person. It’s all on you the customer to figure it out if their logistics break down.
But who do you use instead that isn't in the same boat? Local retailers?
Old 11-02-22, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
After lots of complaining (more than we should have), they sent us another one, which we did end up receiving.
Don't be an apologist, especially after what you were promised, never received, yet had the good fight in you to battle them by complaining until they made it right!
Old 11-02-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm done with Amazon when it comes to physical media (4K, Blu-ray, etc.) - every time I prebook something, they bump the delivery until a couple weeks after release day. Best Buy, for all their issues, never fails to get me a title on street day, if not a day earlier. I'll still use Amazon for books, etc., but never again for physical media.
PhantomStranger (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I would just let everyone know I am still alive and that in the last few months I haven't received any online orders late, lost or damaged since I stopped paying Bezos the honor of doing so.
Shannon Nutt (11-07-22)
Old 11-14-22, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I ordered a physical product from Amazon for the first time since Feb 2021.

It's scheduled for Saturday delivery. Why am I nervous?

I had a gift card balance that I had to use.
Old 11-15-22, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Why would you be nervous? The vast majority of deliveries from Amazon go very smoothly.
MLBFan24 (11-15-22)
Old 11-16-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My brother placed an amazon order a few days ago to be delivered to me today. Yep, it hasn't even been shipped yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.