Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Was it from a third party seller? If so that complicates things.

The first dumbass should have never agreed to refund you. Their algorithm toys with pricing based on sales. And it is endlessly changing. They don’t offer adjustments like that.
Old 12-22-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Was it from a third party seller?
No, it was directly from Amazon.

The first dumbass should have never agreed to refund you. Their algorithm toys with pricing based on sales. And it is endlessly changing. They don’t offer adjustments like that.
I believe I read (probably on this forum or the one on the blu-ray site) that they are permitted to adjust the price on items they sell directly as long as the order hasn't shipped out, which it hadn't at that point. It wasn't even showing "Shipping Soon" when I tried to cancel and received the error message. I wouldn't have bothered opening the chat otherwise.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-22-18 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 03:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
No, it was directly from Amazon.

I believe I read (probably on this forum or the one on the blu-ray site) that they are permitted to adjust the price on items they sell directly as long as the order hasn't shipped out, which it hadn't at that point. It wasn't even showing "Shipping Soon" when I tried to cancel and received the error message. I wouldn't have bothered opening the chat otherwise.
Yeah, this time of year everything goes "shipping soon" instantly so you can't get adjustments.
Old 12-24-18, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Their algorithm toys with pricing based on sales. And it is endlessly changing. They don’t offer adjustments like that.
...And that's what makes them so shitty and shady. Their "adjustments" of prices are worse than the stock market. You never know if you're getting a "good" price or not. Camelcamel helps with this, but it is so ridiculously frustrating to have to play Amazon's stock game.

If I get an item at Walmart or Target, their prices don't go up and down like a yo-yo evey day or even multiple times a day like Amazon. If I see a pair of jeans for $29 at Walmart, can be sure that the next day it won't suddenly jump to $37, then down to $28 then up again to $32.60 the next day. Absurd!

Amazon's "algorithm" is so finely "tuned" so as to make shopping there a craps game.
Old 12-25-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t think it makes them shady.

The downside to their repricing hourly, is you can never quite know what to expect the price at a regular retailer to be at. In example, I buy Dickies shirts on there. At Wal Mart, they are always $18. At Amazon, I’ve seen it fluctuate from $15 to $23. So you can never trust the pricing you see.

They also constantly beat the price of third party sellers, until they reach a red area. And they will keep lowering the price until an item sells. I’ve seen parts in the industrial category where dealer cost is $120 and Amazon offers it for $40. They just take the hit, and then don’t restock. That’s very common in the industrial category, as most products are considered long tail inventory by those who know what they are doing.
Old 12-26-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Here's some FAST shipping from Amazon that I've never seen before (so "non-complaining" in the complaint thread).

Saturday morning (Dec. 22nd) around noon I ordered the 4K Predator boxed set, as it was on sale. Sunday before noon it was DELIVERED. That's the fastest I've gotten anything from Amazon as a PRIME member.
Old 01-09-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Bezos and his wife are getting divorced. She probably got tired of receiving her blu-rays and CDs in bubble mailers.
Old 01-09-19, 01:07 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Bezos and his wife are getting divorced. She probably got tired of receiving her blu-rays and CDs in bubble mailers.
He definitely won't be the richest man in the world after the divorce, but I imagine he'll stay in the top 10 and his wife will enter the top 10.
Old 01-10-19, 02:41 PM
Banned

Fucking Amazon. "as soon as your return is received" my ass. They received it yesterday. Still waiting for my goddamn refund. I have pre-orders for the 15th I want to apply the balance to before they fucking ship.
Old 01-11-19, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
She may very well be. Took a chance and ordered two CDs from Amazon Warehouse listed as "Acceptable" and not only were they shipped to me in an appropriately-sized box, but they were factory sealed with only a few barely noticeable cracks, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-12-19, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bezos' life is Amazon, he has absolutely no room in his life for any woman. It is almost unbelievable that she managed to stay married to him for 25 years!

Well, some may argue that she is the luckiest woman in the entire world, as she's on the fast track to raking in those billions now the she has chosen to divorce him.

I can't imagine that Bezos didn't have some sort of prenup in place, however. It was bad business if he did not. Even 25 years ago, wise men alway made sure to have a prenup in place. To say nothing of today! I wouldn't even consider marriage without having a living trust and prenup solidy in place. Women are just too fickle and greedy, even those who think they're in love.
Old 01-12-19, 07:50 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Women are just too fickle and greedy, even those who think they're in love.
That's a pretty glib statement, I'm surprised. You okay?
Old 01-12-19, 08:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Bezos' life is Amazon, he has absolutely no room in his life for any woman. It is almost unbelievable that she managed to stay married to him for 25 years!

Well, some may argue that she is the luckiest woman in the entire world, as she's on the fast track to raking in those billions now the she has chosen to divorce him.

I can't imagine that Bezos didn't have some sort of prenup in place, however. It was bad business if he did not. Even 25 years ago, wise men alway made sure to have a prenup in place. To say nothing of today! I wouldn't even consider marriage without having a living trust and prenup solidy in place. Women are just too fickle and greedy, even those who think they're in love.
Holy crap. No wonder women rarely stay at DVDTalk.
Old 01-12-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Having seen borderline racist remarks from zyzzle, going the sexist route now too doesn't surprise me.
Old 01-12-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, I've just seen too many friends taken to the cleaners by their wives, some of many longstanding years! Mostly unfairly. Nothing against womankind in general. And, or course I was being tongue-in-cheek about Mr. Bezos, since as you know I have no love for him. Let's not be so sensitive! It just strikes me as quite incredible that a woman could stick with Bezos for 25 years, then, when he's the "richest man in the world" decide that, yes, now's the time for a good Divorce and fat settlement.

Today, a the institution of Marriage is more a business than at any other time in history.
Old 01-12-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Hey, I've just seen too many friends taken to the cleaners by their wives, some of many longstanding years! Mostly unfairly. Nothing against womankind in general. And, or course I was being tongue-in-cheek about Mr. Bezos, since as you know I have no love for him. Let's not be so sensitive! It just strikes me as quite incredible that a woman could stick with Bezos for 25 years, then, when he's the "richest man in the world" decide that, yes, now's the time for a good Divorce and fat settlement.

Today, a the institution of Marriage is more a business than at any other time in history.
I don't think it's that cut and dry. It's being reported that Bezos cheated on his wife with Lauren Sanchez. Ironically, she's getting a divorce, as well.
Old 01-12-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure it isn't that cut and dry, however you can be sure there's a sanitized public explanation and a more messy private explanation(s). People wear multiple masks, and I know Bezos is no exception. Nor is his wife. Or her attorneys, who of course "waited" to maximize their payment from the Divorce, as well.
Old 01-14-19, 01:59 PM
Banned

It IS Amazon! I bitched to one of the power seller types on Amazon UK about a blu-ray movie it wasn't letting me order that's fulfilled by Amazon. This is the response I got

My apologies for this, it has been like this for a few years now, I have tried many times, but I cant get anywhere with trying to fix the glitch.
No one seems to know why it happens.
That's from HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Old 01-15-19, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I had one that said signed by Sherrell. I don't know anyone named Sherrell unless whoever is delivering the mail signs it....
my guess is, its the delivery person esp. when they drop off the package outside your door or porch
Old 01-17-19, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't think it's that cut and dry. It's being reported that Bezos cheated on his wife with Lauren Sanchez. Ironically, she's getting a divorce, as well.
I don't know what Bezos sees in Lauren Sanchez compared to his wife, but to each his own.

Do you think Amazon will carry any of MacKenzie Bezos' future novels?
Old 01-17-19, 04:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife bought me Doctor Who: Tom Baker Complete First Season for Christmas, it even arrived early, but the case was cracked/broken at the upper right corner so I set up a Return for replacement and we waited.......and waited......and waited.......no replacement. Amazon was out, again, no idea when they'd be getting more in. Had an expected delivery date of Jan. 17th; today, the 17th, I get an order update, shipping by Jan. 22nd. Lord knows when it will actually get here because I sure don't. Nice Christmas present.
Old 01-17-19, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kd5
My wife bought me Doctor Who: Tom Baker Complete First Season for Christmas, it even arrived early, but the case was cracked/broken at the upper right corner so I set up a Return for replacement and we waited.......and waited......and waited.......no replacement. Amazon was out, again, no idea when they'd be getting more in. Had an expected delivery date of Jan. 17th; today, the 17th, I get an order update, shipping by Jan. 22nd. Lord knows when it will actually get here because I sure don't. Nice Christmas present.
That's why you don't return unless discs are scratched. Fuck the packaging. I keep replacement cases on hand.
Old 01-21-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

So I had a weird one the other day. Wife wanted to order these sugar free chocolate chips for a recipe. Last one in stock, shipped/sold by Amazon, Prime. I did 2 day shipping and not slow since she wanted to make this recipe soon.

I get the UPS shipping notice and it says it's coming from some mom & pop type market in NJ?
There were 3rd party vendors that were offering it for a little bit lower and Prime, but if it's within a dollar I usually just go with Amazon.

It arrived fine and wasn't expired or anything but something seems shifty there.
Old 01-22-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
So I had a weird one the other day. Wife wanted to order these sugar free chocolate chips for a recipe. Last one in stock, shipped/sold by Amazon, Prime. I did 2 day shipping and not slow since she wanted to make this recipe soon.

I get the UPS shipping notice and it says it's coming from some mom & pop type market in NJ?
There were 3rd party vendors that were offering it for a little bit lower and Prime, but if it's within a dollar I usually just go with Amazon.

It arrived fine and wasn't expired or anything but something seems shifty there.
That happens when Amazon cannot locate an item in their warehouse. They pulled from an FBA-stocked unit. In very rare cases, they will generate an order from a "Fulfilled by Merchant" product.
Old 01-23-19, 09:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Now re-scheduled to arrive on Jan. 25th...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.