Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime - Shipping Speed Downgraded After Order Placed

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-10-12, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an Amazon Prime member. A few weeks ago I placed an order with Amazon and I could have sworn I selected free Two-Day Shipping for the order. When the order shipped out, it instead shipped out as Standard 3-5 business day. So I'm thinking at the time that I accidentally selected Standard shipping.

Well, I just placed an order a few minutes ago and again selected free Two-Day shipping, which should have my package arriving on Tuesday August 14th. At the order confirmation screen, I was now given an estimate of August 16-20. I brought up the order details, and sure enough, it was now showing Standard shipping. Thankfully, I was able to change it back to two-day shipping on the order details page.

If you place an order with Amazon, immediately bring up your order details and check and make sure they have your shipping speed correct, before it enters the Shipping Soon phase.
Old 08-11-12, 10:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime - Shipping Speed Downgraded After Order Placed

I am a Prime member and it happened to me last week but I caught it at the checkout screen because it was charging me for shipping. I thought I had accidently ordered it from a marketplace seller but it was from Amazon. I deleted the item and added it to my cart again for the prime to show up.
Old 08-11-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
I am a Prime member and it happened to me last week but I caught it at the checkout screen because it was charging me for shipping. I thought I had accidently ordered it from a marketplace seller but it was from Amazon. I deleted the item and added it to my cart again for the prime to show up.
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had to do the same thing and delete the items and re-add them.
Old 08-12-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Seems they're trying to phase out the benefits of Prime shipping with their new "Add-On" service.
Old 08-13-12, 09:06 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it use to be if I ordered an item on Thursday I would get it on Saturday for no extra cost. Now they want 9 bucks even with prime to get it on Saturday. My gut feeling is they are going to eventually charge more or get rid of some of the benefits of amazon prime pointing to the streaming as a value added service...something I never asked for or need. I will order less when that happens...which is sad really.
Old 08-13-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, I got Prime before all of the streaming stuff. That to me is the extra benefit but what I'm paying for is the shipping. If they get rid of that then Prime simply isn't worth it to me.

I missed out on a deal for a razor simply because I didn't have another $25 worth of stuff to order. What's the point of Prime if they're going to treat me like I'm using the Super Saver Shipping?
Old 08-13-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I don't think anybody orders prime for the streaming stuff.

Timber, I'm not sure what you mean, did they make you order 25 bucks worth of stuff to use Prime shipping?
Old 08-13-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 839 Likes on 706 Posts

Most analysts always thought they were losing money on Prime service and that it was only used as a loss-leader to build a lucrative, high-end customer base. Which is why a shipping service started morphing into a streaming service.
Old 08-13-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Timber, I'm not sure what you mean, did they make you order 25 bucks worth of stuff to use Prime shipping?
If you look through you will start to notice items that are now catagorized as "Add-On" items. Meaning you can not get them shipped unless you're adding them onto an order that is more than $25. So even though I have Prime I couldn't get the item because I wasn't willing to spend $25 on other items at that particular time.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...76660&pop-up=1
Old 08-13-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

hmmm, i had not noticed this. an effort to try to get people to combine orders instead of ordering one thing at a time?
Old 08-13-12, 08:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Aren't the add on items mostly small grocery and pharmacy type items? It doesn't pertain to media items. These are small items that they did not carry before.
Old 08-13-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they have add-on media stuff, like cables and cases etc. I bought some HDMI cables that were add-on but I was buying some stuff so it worked out anyway.
Old 08-16-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This totally blows. For me, the point of getting Prime was not to have to worry about getting an order to total $25 for free shipping. I was already getting tired of more and more stuff being handled and sold by merchant sellers thus negating Prime, now Amazon is pulling this crap? I'm sure the small print states they can make changes whenever they want but this is destroying my trust in them honoring the selling point of Prime. If this continues I doubt I'll be renewing.
Old 08-17-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

I haven't had any issues with my 2-day shipping always being selected for orders. I would guess the best policy though is to just be aware and make a point to double check.
Old 08-17-12, 01:05 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the first time an item I want is an add on item, I will be canceling my prime...
Old 09-04-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hit the don't renew button for Prime , I don't know I may regret it (especially with Black Friday approaching).

I seem to be buying more from Amazon marketplace more than ever and Amazon's pricing doesn't seem to be as great as last year.
At this point I don't have a problem bopping over to Best Buy and picking up Blu's for $7.99 or from the upgrade & save program, instead of waiting to see if Amazon will price match ?

I just put in an order at Import Cd's for 4 Olive blu's at around $16 a pop, while these rarely ever get below $19/$20 at Amazon...I even bought the Jaws blu at BB because Amazon couldn't beat their price ( I did use a $3 coupon at BB to be fair).
I don't know Prime seems to have lost a little bit of it's luster for me at least.

Last edited by Drake; 09-04-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I go back and forth about whether I'll renew or not. I do order a lot through Amazon but Prime clearly isn't the value it was when it was first introduced.

I've started to notice more and more things shipping through USPS which obviously can't gaurantee 2 day service and with my post office they won't leave anything at my door until I fill out the door tag which tacks an extra day or two onto my delivery time.
Old 09-04-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I've started to notice more and more things shipping through USPS which obviously can't gaurantee 2 day service and with my post office they won't leave anything at my door until I fill out the door tag which tacks an extra day or two onto my delivery time.
I have noticed this, especially if I order late on Thursday, Amazon will send it USPS and I will get it on Monday (sometimes Tuesday).
Old 09-04-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
I have noticed this, especially if I order late on Thursday, Amazon will send it USPS and I will get it on Monday (sometimes Tuesday).

I've had quite a few issues with USPS delivery this Prime cycle. When I had an $85 order go missing due to shoddy USPS shipping, I was very adamant about my shipping preferences and have received everything via UPS since then.

I wish they'd offer different Prime packages. I'd rather pay for premium shipping via UPS or FedEx and lose the streaming feature. I'm sure many folks would prefer the opposite. If they're going to change the service, they might as well figure out a way to keep more people happy.
Old 09-12-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had my first order shipped via USPS. It was supposed to be here today, but the mail has come and gone, and it is nowhere to be found. Tracking, which I know is usually pretty useless with USPS, indicates they haven't even gotten it yet, so I have no clue when I can actually expect it. Glad it wasn't something time sensitive.

If this is what I can expect of the service from now on, I certainly won't be renewing my Prime.
Old 09-13-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

Ordered something this morning with 2 day shipping and it says it will be delivered on the 18th?
Old 09-14-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
Ordered something this morning with 2 day shipping and it says it will be delivered on the 18th?
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand what they're doing. I just placed an order for 2 things, one is a preorder that won't be delivered to the 18th but the other says if I order by so and so time it will be delivered on Sunday.

I guess it just depends on the warehouse things are shipped from? Some use couriers and others use USPS. Still can't figure out any rhyme or reason.
Old 09-14-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the norm for Amazon Prime now.

They have shifted from their 2 Day Guarantee to a Guarantee of "We'll get it to you... pretty soon? Sometimes in only 2 Days!"

I think they want to see how many people keep their subscription without complaining about the time difference in delivery.

Personally, I don't find it a HUGE deal. But they should not advertise prime as being 2 Day Shipping if the items they ship are sometimes going to be coming a few days to a week past that time frame of delivery.
Old 09-16-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all this info. Today is my last day of the 1 month trial and I was seriously considering keeping it but I just hit the "do not renew" button. I probably don't order things from Amazon enough to justify it, plus anything I'd be interested in watching on the streaming service is pay-per-view even on Prime. Add to that they just announced today that Amazon will be adding CA state taxes to all purchases and now I read from you all that they are often skimping out on the 2-day shipping... ? Back to the ol' bricks and mortar, I guess.
Old 09-26-12, 01:10 PM

In my experience, you can still get guaranteed 2 day shipping, but they are changing the method to Standard after you order and are praying you don't notice.

I preordered WWE '12 last night and chose free 2-day shipping to get it on its release day of October 30. When it gets to the order confirmation screen, it now shows an estimate of November 5th to November 8th.

If something like this happens to you, do what I did. Immediately click on "Review or Edit Order" and change the shipping back to 2-day. It should now show the correct date of arrival.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.