Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Old 07-19-12, 02:57 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
Thread Starter
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,210
Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Went to the state fair today and looked through a couple buildings where people were selling random crap- most of it stuff like cosmetics or what have you. There was one guy whose sign said "Classic Movies" and he had several shelves full on DVDs out, and almost ALL of them were obviously copies- you could tell that the covers had been scanned and printed on a computer. Most of them weren't even rare, just titles that had been out for a while and still in print, and he was selling these for about the same price as the legitimate product. I opened one up and the disc inside was a printable DVD-R with the legitimate disc's label scanned and printed on it. The disc was probably a single-layer, meaning the content had been compressed to fit on it. He had a few other things like some out-of-print Paramount movies and some TV shows like Batman which have never had a legit DVD release. Up front he had a shelf full of Song of the South (priced at $39.99) with it playing on an LCD screen, it looked like it had been transferred from a VHS tape. The covers looked like scans of the UK VHS release with "NTSC Region 1" printed on the back cover. The guy was telling people they were imports from England, but of course if they were they'd be in PAL format and probably region 2- as far as I know it was released there on VHS but never on DVD.

Sure Disney deserves to have Song of the South bootlegged as long as they continue to keep it locked up, and so does Paramount for taking so many discs out of print, but I still couldn't believe the balls this guy had selling this stuff out in the open at an event like this. I could see him doing it at a flea market or something like that, but not a state fair. The fair has been going on since last Thursday so there he should have been busted by now, but nobody there seemed to notice. I couldn't help myself- I called the MPAA's piracy hotline (1-800-NO-COPYS) and ratted him out. Wonder if they'll actually do something, or if they'll just sit on their hands and continue to advocate internet snooping and crap like that. If anybody on here goes there, let me know if you see him.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 07-19-12, 09:30 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
adrenaline78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 3,147
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Did you tell the guy you liked his collection of bootlegs?
adrenaline78 is offline  
Old 07-19-12, 12:35 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,902
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Some of these guys are sold brazen and bold with it that I wonder if they actually don't know they are bootlegs themselves.
Lastdaysofrain is offline  
Old 07-19-12, 06:32 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,615
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

I'm sure they know. It's just like the people who sell counterfeit Gucci and Prada bags at things like this for $10.
TheBang is offline  
Old 07-19-12, 06:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Texan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 915
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

There's a local comic book shop that sells bootlegs like the ones you mentioned. I don't see how they get away with it out in the public like that.
Texan26 is offline  
Old 07-19-12, 07:51 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

You called the MPAA's piracy hotline over some guy selling some crap at the state fair? Seriously?

Nobody goes to the state fair anymore, attendance has plummeted. So as prestigious as you seem to think it is, it's not. Ever since they moved it back from August nobody goes and as a thread I created here a few years ago shows, nobody from other parts of the state treks to Sac just to go. It's a local fair with a bigger sounding name since we live in the capital.

I seriously doubt you put a dent in the guy's day, but good effort.
My Other Self is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 07:09 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,902
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

I was at a Comic Con in Boston close to 10 years ago and it got raided for bootlegs. It was kind of nuts. The show was bootleg free for the next six months or so until it slowly crept back in.
Lastdaysofrain is offline  
Old 07-22-12, 12:41 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,297
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
You called the MPAA's piracy hotline over some guy selling some crap at the state fair? Seriously?

Nobody goes to the state fair anymore, attendance has plummeted. So as prestigious as you seem to think it is, it's not. Ever since they moved it back from August nobody goes and as a thread I created here a few years ago shows, nobody from other parts of the state treks to Sac just to go. It's a local fair with a bigger sounding name since we live in the capital.

I seriously doubt you put a dent in the guy's day, but good effort.
Um, maybe yours, but the MN State Fair is huge. Don't go if you're claustrophobic. And when I go to the WI state fair, it's pretty big too.
LJG765 is offline  
Old 07-22-12, 07:57 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,227
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

They sell tons of bootlegs at the Comic cons all over the country. They're mostly out of print titles or titles that have never been released. But, they also have tv shows that are just being aired on tv and they have sets for them as well. I see mostly the same people sellers at these cons and nothing ever seems to happen to them.
movieguru is online now  
Old 07-22-12, 02:07 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
Thread Starter
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,210
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

And if studios keep putting out their own legitimate releases on DVD-R, it's going to be harder to tell what is a legitimate product and what isn't. If they're going to do that and not bust people like this selling copies out in the open, I don't want to hear them complaining about it anymore.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 07-22-12, 03:59 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Um, maybe yours, but the MN State Fair is huge. Don't go if you're claustrophobic. And when I go to the WI state fair, it's pretty big too.
This is California, significantly larger in population. Every part of the state has their own county/regional fairs throughout the year.

The state fair here is a glorified Sacramento County fair, nothing more. To call me out like I'm throwing all state fairs under the same umbrella is pretty stupid since I was obviously talking to Smithee about what we have here.
My Other Self is offline  
Old 07-22-12, 06:11 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 6,874
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
where people were selling random crap- most of it stuff like cosmetics or what have you.
They steal that stuff from CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, ect and then sell it for cash at venues like this (or they buy from the thieves to flip at places like this).

Never buy this kind of stuff.
SterlingBen is offline  
Old 07-15-13, 11:39 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
Thread Starter
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,210
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Get this- I was there yesterday to see Weird Al and we went through some of the crappy buildings beforehand, and this SAME guy was there again, in the SAME place selling the SAME copied DVDs with some new ones added! I give up- I basically led the MPAA's anti-piracy effort to this guy last year, and they obviously did NOTHING. I think that proves that all the warnings they make us watch at the beginning of discs are scare tactics, and nothing more.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 07-16-13, 09:47 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Alan Smithee, doing his part to try and put mom and pop stores out of business.

Weird Al is up at my fair today.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 07-16-13, 06:08 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Get this- I was there yesterday to see Weird Al and we went through some of the crappy buildings beforehand, and this SAME guy was there again, in the SAME place selling the SAME copied DVDs with some new ones added! I give up- I basically led the MPAA's anti-piracy effort to this guy last year, and they obviously did NOTHING. I think that proves that all the warnings they make us watch at the beginning of discs are scare tactics, and nothing more.
I have such a difficult time believing half of your posts. I can rarely tell if you're serious or just being overly dramatic for effect.
My Other Self is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 02:32 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
Thread Starter
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,210
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Well, in this case it's only fair given how overly dramatic most of the copyright warnings and such have been. They can keep saying "The FBI is watching you and will do terrible things to you if you even THINK about copying this movie!" but when someone does it SO out in the open like this and gets away with it, even after they've been reported to a so-called "hotline" set up specifically to stop this very thing, it just proves that such "anti-piracy efforts" are all talk and no action.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 09:47 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
dan30oly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,749
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

pics or it didn't happen
dan30oly is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 12:34 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
but when someone does it SO out in the open like this and gets away with it, even after they've been reported to a so-called "hotline" set up specifically to stop this very thing, it just proves that such "anti-piracy efforts" are all talk and no action.
Except there are actually tons of arrests but they don't have field offices across the country setup where a special team of agents, always on call, slide down a pole into their crime fighting unit, flying through the streets with their sirens blazing, shooting everyone in their way to get a guy at a fair.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 01:10 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,143
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

I think you should create a bogus MPAA ID and bust him yourself.
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 01:47 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Formerly known as "n8boss87".
Posts: 242
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

why not just stand in front of his stand and call out "BOOTLEGS! WHO WANTS BOOTLEGS!??!" and draw attention to the twat?
Nate Boss is offline  
Old 07-17-13, 02:18 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,120
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Well, in this case it's only fair given how overly dramatic most of the copyright warnings and such have been. They can keep saying "The FBI is watching you and will do terrible things to you if you even THINK about copying this movie!" but when someone does it SO out in the open like this and gets away with it, even after they've been reported to a so-called "hotline" set up specifically to stop this very thing, it just proves that such "anti-piracy efforts" are all talk and no action.
The anti-piracy efforts, even the occasional arrests, are largely a PR attempt to remind consumers it is illegal. I thought everyone understood that Hollywood doesn't have the means to entirely eliminate piracy and the over-the-top warnings on DVDs are meant to scare the 25% of the population that actually respond to empty threats.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-17-13 at 10:03 PM.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 07-21-13, 12:32 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

I think it would have been cool if you and three friends had kicked over his table, and someone with a Scottish accent said "THAT's the Chicago way!"
Ropes Pierre is offline  
Old 07-21-13, 01:40 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,663
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
Except there are actually tons of arrests but they don't have field offices across the country setup where a special team of agents, always on call, slide down a pole into their crime fighting unit, flying through the streets with their sirens blazing, shooting everyone in their way to get a guy at a fair.
So no field office within a years drive of Sacramento?
I find that hard to believe.
jjcool is offline  
Old 07-21-13, 03:46 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,880
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

You wouldn't steal a car...
DaveWadding is offline  
Old 07-21-13, 10:37 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E_v_i_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,385
Re: Bootleg DVD seller at CA State Fair!

You wouldn't steal a handbag...
E_v_i_l is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.