Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is this a new practice by companies?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-19-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 so I sign up for netflix bluray plan and I choose my three movies.
well when they arrive they are all DVDs
i go and check and you have to scroll specific bluray if you want to choose the bluray. as if signing up for the extra fee, I would want the DVD instead.

#2 I place an order on amazon and I click purchase since I know what I want. well my eye catches just as the order is processed - they defaulted to the expensive 'two shipping' option rather than free shipping. so I had to go through an annoying process to cancel it... only a small minority would choose two day shipping for way more $$$ than free.

so is this a new practice by companies, to get that accidental revenue? if I fell into these traps they are certainly getting millions of dollars by others. it is unethical IMO because the motivation is clear.
Old 05-19-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Is this a new practice by companies?

Stores almost always default to what is cheapest and most profitable for them. Yes, it helps their revenues because it works on some customers.
Old 05-20-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can set your default shipping option at amazon.
Old 05-20-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ "accidental revenue"
Old 05-20-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

For Netflix, there might be preferences to set as well. I have the BD plan (sometimes to my regret) and generally get that as long as they carry it.

For Amazon, there might be issues if they default to free shipping if your order doesn't qualify. There will always be people who are confused either way.
Old 05-21-12, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the Amazon purchase, it sounds like you might have placed a 1-click order? If so, there are settings to change for that to set your default options for 1-click orders. If it was at regular checkout, the shipping options are there, just keep an eye as you go through the checkout steps.
Old 05-24-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always found Amazon's ordering process to be about as foolproof as it gets. It does sound like you did One-Click(TRADEMARK) ordering.
Old 05-26-12, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Like others have indicated, check your Amazon settings and/or pay more attention during checkout. It *does* sound like your "one-click" settings are "off".

Amazon's practice of allowing the purchase of digital content without having you log in during the purchase, as you must do for a physical product, is more of a "accidental purchase revenue generation" model.
Old 05-30-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There IS a setting in your account on Netflix to default to Blu-ray. I know it's shocking when a company places the onus on the consumer to manage their own account.
Old 05-30-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, wouldn't it be in the best interest of Netflix to send you the blu-ray if that's what you want?

Think about it, you get the DVDs, so you send them back and then request the blu-rays. That's double the shipping costs to Netflix due to user error. And they get money from your monthly fee, not from the films you choose.
Old 05-31-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Also, wouldn't it be in the best interest of Netflix to send you the blu-ray if that's what you want?

Think about it, you get the DVDs, so you send them back and then request the blu-rays. That's double the shipping costs to Netflix due to user error. And they get money from your monthly fee, not from the films you choose.
Unless you throw up your hands and watch the DVD anyway. Then that's one fewer BD rental in favor of a presumably cheaper (for them) DVD rental.
Old 07-11-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
How do they know that's what you want? Maybe you want to watch the movie on a plane, in a car, in a guest bedroom, or anywhere where a DVD would work where a Blu-ray wouldn't.

FWIW, Netflix always defaulted to Blu-ray when I had the Blu-ray plan. I can't recall if I had to set this myself or not.
Old 07-11-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
How do they know that's what you want? Maybe you want to watch the movie on a plane, in a car, in a guest bedroom, or anywhere where a DVD would work where a Blu-ray wouldn't.

FWIW, Netflix always defaulted to Blu-ray when I had the Blu-ray plan. I can't recall if I had to set this myself or not.
And what if the blu-ray has a wait but the dvd doesn't and you're fine with the dvd instead of waiting?