Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Originally Posted by mcfly
I went in to another store yesterday that was remodeled the 3rd time in less than 2 years and their movie selection was pretty much non-existent. It was two aisles compared to the 6 or 8 they had before, with the music section jumbled next to it.

It's really unfortuante. I used to look forward to Best Buy trips, but not anymore. I don't necessarily think this means the writing is on the wall, but more of a different focus on peoples shopping habits. I always see people shopping for computers and TVs while I'm there and the media section tends to be empty.
It's EMPTY because they got rid of all the media....self fulfilling prophecy. "Oh look nobody's looking for DVDs" Yeah guys, cause you got rid of them
Old 05-08-13, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mw390
It's EMPTY because they got rid of all the media....self fulfilling prophecy. "Oh look nobody's looking for DVDs" Yeah guys, cause you got rid of them
My feelings exactly. This area went without a big box electronics retailer for about 8 months between Circuit City closing and Best Buy opening. All seemed well for maybe a year, but now every time I visit (unless it's for some DVD/BR exclusive) I ask myself why. People replace a major appliance or television at best every ~10 years. But a thriving movie and music department could bring people to the store every week. Now I just go to the mall, which is likely as damning a statement as I could make.
Old 05-08-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Media (like DVDs, CD, and books) have low margins. Notice how few book stores and record stores there are these days. It's really difficult to maintain a business centered around selling these items.

Stores like Best Buy only stocked that kind of stuff to draw people into the store. Even if they sold a lot CDs and DVDs, they weren't making a killing off of them. Now that people are buying less media, there's little incentive to keep a large stock of such items.
Old 05-08-13, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Media (like DVDs, CD, and books) have low margins. Notice how few book stores and record stores there are these days. It's really difficult to maintain a business centered around selling these items.

Stores like Best Buy only stocked that kind of stuff to draw people into the store. Even if they sold a lot CDs and DVDs, they weren't making a killing off of them. Now that people are buying less media, there's little incentive to keep a large stock of such items.
I dont agree that people are buying less media. They can't FIND it. Let's look at this analytically. We all know that the movie and TV industry is trying to milk us dry for what? Content. And who's to say how we'd get that content if all these media companies keep suing each other. Netflix the other day says 1700 titles are going away. Where are they going? Warner. Warner says no. And the broadcast networks? CBS and Fox say they are going to put their shows on cable if Dish doesn't disable the Hopper. My understanding is the hopper doesnt skip commercials till a FULL day after the show airs? So they move to cable. Aren't the networks constantly fighting w the providers for $ per subscriber? Are they kidding? Cable was INVENTED for people who lived far away from an antenna so they could WATCH their shows (which used to be on 39 weeks a year w.o. repeats) and their commercials. And what makes it more laughable is the the FCC grants these jerks free access to a broadcast channel to put their crap on the air so why should the cables and satellites have to pay for local access. That's part of their contract with the FCC and the public. You put TV shows on and print money for that spectrum. So, I don't think people are dumping optical media. Who's to say some guy in Romania hacks a site and destroys all the cloud content. You think these guys have backup plans? And if everything went digital what are they going to charge us for crappy internet speeds to watch what they put out there? RANT OVER
Old 05-08-13, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I hear you, Josh. Walking the line here, somebody at BB certainly thinks that focusing on other departments will lead to higher revenue. But it sure ain't working for me.
Old 05-08-13, 08:38 PM

And what makes it more laughable is the the FCC grants these jerks free access to a broadcast channel to put their crap on the air so why should the cables and satellites have to pay for local access. That's part of their contract with the FCC and the public. You put TV shows on and print money for that spectrum.
Going off-topic, have you heard of the company Aereo? See articles like http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...gxO/story.html. They believe they've found a way around that problem, but it's gonna take a number of lawsuits for the dust to clear.
Old 05-08-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont agree that people are buying less media.
It's a fact, whether you agree or not.
Old 05-09-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Some reports are circulating that Best Buy is about to reduce their media section even further from its current paltry size.
Old 05-09-13, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Again, have to say that I'm SO glad they did this after helping to put many of the REAL media stores out of business!
Old 05-09-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DVD will be the high water mark for buying physical media. Blu will never get to the level DVD reached. People will rent/stream rather than buy another round of whatever comes out, blu,4k... Casual purchase of movies will be restricted to the bargain bins at 5 dollars or less.
Old 05-09-13, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by thetao
Going off-topic, have you heard of the company Aereo? See articles like http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...gxO/story.html. They believe they've found a way around that problem, but it's gonna take a number of lawsuits for the dust to clear.
Yeah,, I've heard of em, because their first market was right here in NYC. One other thing occured to me. CBS and Fox want the cable/satellites to pay for what's free over the air. They're threatening to go to cable. So are they going to sue themselves for carriage "rights"?
Old 05-09-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Some reports are circulating that Best Buy is about to reduce their media section even further from its current paltry size.
If Best Buy were to go belly up, is there another company that could possibly fill the void Best Buy will leave? Could Transwold use that opportunity to try to revive Suncoast? I'm not sure of Transworld's financial shape, so I'm not sure if that's even feasible. Are there any other electronics stores that could pick up Best Buy's pieces?
Old 05-09-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Fry's has a better selection than Best Buy but they are few and far between. This is why it sucks when a place like Best Buy kills off small businesses that might have catered to movie buyers.

It would be cool to have a movie-centric store again. But they'd have to have a small footprint and likely couldn't be a freestanding store, so malls would probably be it.
Old 05-09-13, 10:11 AM

National stores: Walmart, target, Kmart, Sears has movies too.
Regional: Fry's - haven't been to one in a while but had a big selection when I was there last
Old 05-09-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Walmart and Target are definitely taking media sales from Best Buy, but they generally don't have the title depth that Best Buy has even now in their reduced state.
Old 05-09-13, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Reindeer
National stores: Walmart, target, Kmart, Sears has movies too.
Regional: Fry's - haven't been to one in a while but had a big selection when I was there last
Walmart - Junk and their shelves are always a mess
Target - Please.....don't bother
KMart - 1 step below Walmart
Sears - KMart owns them. (How the eff did THAT happen?)

Frys...not here in metro NYC...The only OTHER media store is FYE (formerly Coconuts). There's even one around the corner from my local BB. Hey, maybe I should look there for Rookie Blue Season 3
Old 05-09-13, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Walmart and Target are definitely taking media sales from Best Buy, but they generally don't have the title depth that Best Buy has even now in their reduced state.

Bring Back LASERLAND!!!!
Old 05-10-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think movies will be less and less a standard product of a B and M store. The DVD hey days of people buying tons of movies are over. Bargain bins and a small new release section will be all that you see. No physical media will surpass what DVD did.
Old 05-10-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The only media going forward in stores will be bargain bins, very recent new releases, and seasonal promotional displays. That is likely to be true for all companies, not just Best Buy.
Old 06-01-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/bes...g-reason-30562

Fuck Best Buy. Fuck them right in the ear.
Old 06-01-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"So the floor space optimization project again is to shrink these categories and emphasis the categories where we can grow.”

Apparently the article writer has never heard of the word emphasize.

As for the article's content, of course I hate their attitude, but it's no surprise. But I only use them when I can't avoid it, so it won't change my buying habits.
Old 06-02-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll just continue shopping online and will "window shop" for electronics there if I feel the need to. Once they eliminate media completely I can't see myself going in there at all.
Old 06-02-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Could it actually be possible that Target and Walmart will be the last B&M stores to sell physical media?

It sounds like Best Buy just doesn't care anymore and would rather focus their attention on high end electronics, computers etc.
Old 06-02-13, 01:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What they really sell are protection plans.
Old 06-02-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Could it actually be possible that Target and Walmart will be the last B&M stores to sell physical media?

It sounds like Best Buy just doesn't care anymore and would rather focus their attention on high end electronics, computers etc.
Of course they are going to focus on where the most money is. Cell phones are one of the biggest areas of revenue/profit right now. That's why it is no surprise that their mobile department is now huge, front and center in most stores and even had spin off Best Buy mobile stores around the country. It used to be they used media as loss leaders to get people in the door. Those people might also browse and pick something else up. Pretty much now, any person who goes into buy one of those loss leader media items, rolls in, picks it up and walks out the door without looking at a single other thing in the store. There really isn't much you can do about that now to change people's habits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.