Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Curious to why you wouldn't consider Best Buy for phones?

Some of the best prices on phones and the best protection plan in the business.
Yeah, Best Buy has decent phone sales. I got my note 2 and s3 from them.
Old 03-12-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Curious to why you wouldn't consider Best Buy for phones?

Some of the best prices on phones and the best protection plan in the business.
Because if I'm buying a phone on contract I have to wait all the way to the end of my contract to do it versus an early upgrade with the courier.

Never tried to buy one off of contract from them. Is it a painless process to pay full price?
Old 03-12-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

15 days what a joke. Fly by night indeed. Sounds like a company that doesn't expect to be in business much longer. I'm not going to risk buying anything from them on the off chance I don't get to determine if it's OK in 2 weeks' time.

Oh, but spend $2500 a year with and get Premier Silver status so you can have a return window of 60 days, which BTW is only 2/3 of Target's return window length. I love how BB just keeps giving you reasons not to shop there anymore.
Old 03-13-13, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
Because if I'm buying a phone on contract I have to wait all the way to the end of my contract to do it versus an early upgrade with the courier.

Never tried to buy one off of contract from them. Is it a painless process to pay full price?
You don't have to wait until the contract is over...when your upgrade is due with the carrier, you can upgrade at Best Buy.
Old 03-13-13, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
15 days what a joke. Fly by night indeed. Sounds like a company that doesn't expect to be in business much longer. I'm not going to risk buying anything from them on the off chance I don't get to determine if it's OK in 2 weeks' time.

Oh, but spend $2500 a year with and get Premier Silver status so you can have a return window of 60 days, which BTW is only 2/3 of Target's return window length. I love how BB just keeps giving you reasons not to shop there anymore.
For whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be that much backlash from the 15 day return policy. I am thinking that the majority of their customers don't even know they changed it. I guess they'll figure it out when they try to return something on day 16.

I don't like Target's pm policy. They only pm for 7 days but you have 90 days to return it? Everyone is just going to return their crap and buy it cheaper.
Old 03-13-13, 10:45 AM
Cool New Member

YIKES! After reading what is going on at other Best Buy locations, I really hope the ones close to me aren't headed the same direction. My most recent visit over the weekend hints at the change coming though, it looked like they were doing inventory and I did notice the BD/DVD selection wasn't as varied but they still have them separated for now.

I love checking out their 7.99 bargain bins.
Old 03-13-13, 11:35 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
For whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be that much backlash from the 15 day return policy. I am thinking that the majority of their customers don't even know they changed it. I guess they'll figure it out when they try to return something on day 16.
That's why I posted it. The only way I knew about it was because they sent an email to my RewardZone email with the subject of "Introducing new Low Price Guarantee" that made it sound like there were some great new terms to buying things there. Then I read the details...

Introducing our new Low Price Guarantee.¹ If you find a lower price on a qualifying product at a local retail competitor's store or a designated major online retailer, we will match the price.

• Competitor price-matching will be honored only at time of purchase.

• For all customers, we are happy to match prices if we lower our price within 15 days of purchase.²

• Returns and exchanges will be accepted up to 15 days post purchase. Reward Zone® Premier Silver members will continue to benefit from a longer return and exchange policy — up to 60 days from the time of purchase.

¹Best Buy Low Price Guarantee Online or In Store: Find a Lower Price and We'll Match It. If you find a lower price on a qualifying product at a local retail competitor's store or a designated major online retailer, we will match the price. At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Buy.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com® . We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase. The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phone devices and plans, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor's prices, Best Buy for Business™, offers that include financing, gift card offers, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, our and our competitor's Deal of the Day, daily deals, special hour sale event items and credit card offers, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. Please visit BestBuy.com for additional details.

²The Price Match policy for Reward Zone Premier Silver members will follow the new guidelines of 15 days following a transition period that will last until April 18, 2013, which allows 60 days for price matching to Best Buy's prices post purchase. Beginning with purchases on or after April 19, 2013 the price match will be the same for all customers.
The first thing that set off warning bells was pricematching only at time of purchase. Then only pricematching themselves for 15 days.

I guess if you take away returns beyond 15 days that cuts down the window of time they have to worry about having you notice that they lowered their prices or your returning/rebuying to get a pricematch to a lower competitor's price.

When I went into the store to quickly return something I bought a couple weeks before getting the email I noticed the large sign explaining the old 30 day terms on the wall by customer service was gone with no new one replacing it.
Old 03-13-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

They might as well just post a sign that says ALL SALES FINAL. You know, like those liquidation sales.
Old 03-13-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They might as well just post a sign that says ALL SALES FINAL. You know, like those liquidation sales.
Exactly.
Old 03-13-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

There was plenty of discussion about the new policies here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...guarantee.html
Old 04-04-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Best Buy made a make or break move today and it seems that investors are digging it. They've partnered with Samsung and are essentially renting out store space to Samsung to sell products at prices that are similar to online prices which in turn will ideally flip the script on showrooming. Microsoft and Google may follow suit and Best Buy will essentially turn into a mall of sorts where they are renting out space to these companies.
Old 04-04-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Hope it isn't going to be like the DirectTV / DishNetwork folks that roam the store (and also SAMs Club) to feast upon anyone who hasn't heard of "the deal they have going today"...

(which btw.. I always love when they come up to me when I was in the Blu-ray section - when there still was one - and ask me that.. cause I think to myself.. dude.. I am in this section because I buy my media.. ha)
Old 04-04-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

(which btw.. I always love when they come up to me when I was in the Blu-ray section - when there still was one - and ask me that.. cause I think to myself.. dude.. I am in this section because I buy my media.. ha)
Yeah, and I like to watch what I want, when I want it, with no commercials or screen clutter! I've probably said this before, but I always challenge those guys to give me a good reason to get DirecTV and if they can I'll go ahead and get it, but they never can!
Old 04-05-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So.. because you buy Blu-rays that should mean to others you don't watch cable or satellite?

I don't see how that's automatically a given.
Old 04-05-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
So.. because you buy Blu-rays that should mean to others you don't watch cable or satellite?
No it means you went into the store for a specific reason, not to shop for TV services.
Old 04-05-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am not mean.. I just ask them if they are going to pay me to watch TV.. cause that is the only way they can save me money on my TV watching as I don't subscribe to any TV service..... and my post was more about the gorilla tactics they seem to be using to get customers... who are not likely looking to buy TV service .. when they are shopping for Blu-rays..
Old 04-06-13, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
I am not mean.. I just ask them if they are going to pay me to watch TV.. cause that is the only way they can save me money on my TV watching as I don't subscribe to any TV service..... and my post was more about the gorilla tactics they seem to be using to get customers... who are not likely looking to buy TV service .. when they are shopping for Blu-rays..
i am with you. i hate going in to pick up some blu rays, and they either offer me bunches of bananas to get overpriced HDMI cables, or they fling poo at me when i decline. chest thumping varies by store.
Old 04-06-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-14-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes the DirectTV people ask me if I'm finding everything ok, as if they were Best Buy employees, so once I actually asked one for help finding a bluray. She just directed me to another blue shirt. Best Buy has really gone down the tubes. I do my bluray shopping at Frys now.

This business model of theirs is really something. They're cutting back on the stuff that brings people into the store frequently in favor of items that people only buy once a year or once every few years. I only shop for TV's once every 4 or 5 years.. so if all they're selling is TV's, cell phones, and microwaves, I'll only go to Best Buy once in a very great while rather than the once every week like I used to.
Old 04-14-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went into Best Buy late on Saturday with my daughter. Told her she could pick up a DVD. Picked out the DVD and all the checkout lines were closed. We had to wait in line with the customer return line to checkout. Total BS. Took 20 minutes to buy a DVD we had in our hand within 3 minutes of walking in.

Never setting foot in there again.
Old 04-15-13, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chanster
Went into Best Buy late on Saturday with my daughter. Told her she could pick up a DVD. Picked out the DVD and all the checkout lines were closed. We had to wait in line with the customer return line to checkout. Total BS. Took 20 minutes to buy a DVD we had in our hand within 3 minutes of walking in.

Never setting foot in there again.
Oh, my, that sucks. That sounds like Circuit City near the end. I found it odd when they closed their checkouts and made you go to the returns window to make purchases.
Old 04-15-13, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Oh, my, that sucks. That sounds like Circuit City near the end. I found it odd when they closed their checkouts and made you go to the returns window to make purchases.
The first time I went to Circuit City, I felt like an idiot because I picked out a CD and had no idea how to pay for it. I spent about fifteen minutes wandering around the store, looking for a cash register and there weren't any. I finally walked up to the customer service/returns desk because that was, literally, the only place in the store with any employees and paid for my CD there. The fuck, dude?

And I thought Service Merchandise was an ass-backwards company.
Old 04-15-13, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call and complain to corporate or it will never change.
Old 04-16-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Corporate doesn't care. At this point, they want to go out of business.
Old 05-05-13, 03:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Corporate doesn't care. At this point, they want to go out of business.
I went to my local BB to do an upgrade and save and the media sections had been completely relocated. All the CDs, Blu rays, and DVDs are all jammed together in a much smaller area. Definitely had that Circuit City vibe as it was going into its final stretch.

(A salesperson on the floor offered to help me find what I was looking for, but even he admitted the new consolidation was confusing and frustrating.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.