Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Packaging: Is this normal?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently signed up for Amazon prime and ordered a Cannon Printer that was the Deal Of The Day earlier this week. Today I get the package via UPS and the UPS label and packing slip were slapped on to the actual Cannon box itself. Was kinda shocked that they wouldn't ship it in an Amazon box. Someone was here when the printer arrived but in the past it has just been left in front of the door. If it was in an Amazon box I think it would be less likely to be stolen since anything could be in the box like a towel and not electronics. Is this wierd that I received it without an Amazon box?
Old 11-17-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Re: Amazon Packaging: Is this normal?

No.

Amazon's packaging is shit.
Old 11-18-11, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

With larger items, that's not uncommon. It's not uncommon from any online vendor I've experienced either. I've had plenty of items arrive in their original boxes.
Old 11-18-11, 05:36 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
With larger items, that's not uncommon. It's not uncommon from any online vendor I've experienced either. I've had plenty of items arrive in their original boxes.
+1

Sometimes oversize items are shipped in their original box. It's not just Amazon. I've gotten packages like that from other stores.
Old 11-18-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah same here. larger items or items that are shipped like that from manufacturers have come like that from various stores.
Old 11-18-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not weird at all. I have gotten plenty of electronics from Amazon and other companies with just a shipping label on the original box. It's easier for large items.
Old 11-18-11, 04:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Those packages are designed to be shipped long distance without problems since many are freighted over from Asia. It does suck that it is basically an advertisement to any would be thief what is sitting on your front porch when they use the original box.
Old 11-18-11, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Icon769
Is this wierd that I received it without an Amazon box?
No, not at all. I just got a DeWalt cordless circular saw and Amazon just slapped the shipping label right on the box. The UPS guy just left it at the front door. The front door faces a very busy street. No problem at all. I don't think peeps pay attention to this sort of thing anymore. With the street littered with stripped and abandoned cars, old sofas and fridges on the sidewalk and dead animals laying in the middle of the street, a box on a doorstep is not noticeable...
Old 11-18-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It also sucks if it's a present for your kid
Old 11-20-11, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
With the street littered with stripped and abandoned cars, old sofas and fridges on the sidewalk and dead animals laying in the middle of the street, a box on a doorstep is not noticeable...
I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.
Old 11-20-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

When I ordered an HP computer a few years ago, everything came in the original HP box with a label slapped on it, not in an Amazon box...I think it depends on what you order.
Old 11-21-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

If the manufacturer makes their product box sturdy enough for shipping, I have no problem with it.

I don't like Amazon's packaging. We took an item back to the UPS store, and the clerk said, "Another Amazon package damaged in shipping, huh?"
Old 08-15-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm starting to get really tired of Amazon's crappy bubble mailers. Ordered two different items from Amazon with Prime and they shipped separately. The first package had the edge of the blu ray case crushed and tore through the art work. The second one had a loose disc sliding around in it. Now I have to ship them both back and hope the same thing doesn't happen to the replacements.
Old 08-15-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Regarding the issue the OP described, UPS typically won't leave a high-ticket item by your door (flat screen TV, computer, etc) if it's obvious what the item is. Guess most printers don't fall into that category.
Old 08-15-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems normal. Amazon has the btter packaging out of most of the online retailers I have used. They aslso usually tell you on the product page if stuff is going to be shipped in its own box vs. an amazon box.
Old 08-15-12, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I will get a bubble wrap mailer when I order a single DVD or Blu-ray. But generally if it is a medium size set or a couple of individual disk items it will come shrink wrapped to a stiff piece of cardboard so it won't slide around and placed in an oversized box with a pull-open tab. Best shipping of anyone when it comes that way.
Old 08-15-12, 01:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Prime member here. Never had an issue with Amazon's packaging.
Old 08-15-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm starting to get really tired of Amazon's crappy bubble mailers. Ordered two different items from Amazon with Prime and they shipped separately. The first package had the edge of the blu ray case crushed and tore through the art work. The second one had a loose disc sliding around in it. Now I have to ship them both back and hope the same thing doesn't happen to the replacements.
As someone that orders single items from Amazon frequently, I'm sick of the damage the bubble mailers produce. Good luck getting a book or a CD in a digipak in them without damage to the cover.
Old 08-15-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My last two Blu-Rays from Amazon Prime were delivered in bubble-wrap. Thankfully no damage but
Old 08-15-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Same here. Most things I get seem a bit over-packaged, if anything.
Old 08-15-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
When I was a prime member I got shitty packaging. Bubble mailers and things getting knocked in flimsy boxes.

Prime has nothing to do with it. I think that where you live and which warehouses/distribution centers serve you determines how well your orders are packed. Some of them seem to put more care and thought into how items are packaged for mailing.
Old 08-16-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Also a Prime member. Never have had an issue with Amazon's packaging at all. I do prefer when they ship items in boxes rather than the bubble mailers but of all the times I've ordered with them I've only had one damaged item (which I don't even know for sure was caused by their packaging). I let them know and they got me a new one right away. They seem to do a much better job than most other web site's if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Same here. Most things I get seem a bit over-packaged, if anything.
Old 08-16-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
As someone that orders single items from Amazon frequently, I'm sick of the damage the bubble mailers produce. Good luck getting a book or a CD in a digipak in them without damage to the cover.
I've generally had good luck with the bubble mailers, but when they're shipped "Fedex Smartpost" and wind up in my mailbox rather than landing on my doorstep, my comic TPBs frequently get bent to hell. They're for reading, not collecting, so it's not the end of the world, but I still have to stack stuff on top of them to flatten them out enough to be readable.
Old 08-16-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I've generally had good luck with the bubble mailers, but when they're shipped "Fedex Smartpost" and wind up in my mailbox rather than landing on my doorstep, my comic TPBs frequently get bent to hell. They're for reading, not collecting, so it's not the end of the world, but I still have to stack stuff on top of them to flatten them out enough to be readable.
That's bullshit. When I buy something, I expect it to be in new condition and it is unacceptable when Amazon or any other sellers sends me something I have paid for in a way it's probably going to be damaged in transit.

When I get things that have been damaged, I send them back for a refund or replacement.
Old 08-16-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a piece on Amazon shipping OEM hard drives in substandard packaging: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/a...-for-hard-dri/

[Amazon is] shipping computer hard drives in the stuff. According to dozens of irate customers, Western Digital hard drives shipped by the e-tailer over the past several months have arrived in damaged cardboard containers, thin layers of bubble wrap, or even loose in a simple electrostatic discharge bag without an ounce of padding to keep them from harm.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.