Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What are your Black Friday plans?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: When are you Black Friday shopping?
I'm going out earlier than usual
20.45%
I'm going out the same amount of time as usual
18.18%
I'm eating more turkey instead
61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'm curious what those of you who normally go out early for Black Friday deals are planning to do this year.

Lots of stores are doing midnight openings this year. I've been reading articles where people are quoted as saying they aren't going out this year because it's cutting into family and Thanksgiving time. I don't think that's indicative off what's actually going to happen though.

We usually eat Thanksgiving around 4 or 5. We're easily done by 6 or 7 and looking for things to do. Normally I'd get up at 2:30 or 3:00 to go out for Black Friday deals. I've done this fairly regularly for the last 10 years or so. That got me there early enough to be toward the front of the line at Best Buy and I was home and back in bed by 5:30 at the latest.

But with the midnight openings, I'm thinking I'll need to go by at least 8 to get a similar position. I think it's going to be far easier for people to deal with staying up a little later instead of getting up at the crack of dawn. I'll bundle up and bring a chair and watch movies on my iPad to kill the time.

It just doesn't seem as daunting as the early morning time usually is. In fact, I think people who don't normally go out will do so this year.

I'm just wondering what you other Black Friday shoppers plan on doing this year.
Old 11-14-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What are your Black Friday plans?

The X factor is online sales. Last year, Target made all of its BF specials available online on Thanksgiving Day. I used it to get the specials I didn't want to miss and went out around 6:00 AM to see what else was left. If other retailers follow suit, I'll order what I want online, hit up WalMart around 11:00 Thanksgiving Eve, check out Best Buiy and Target (all of which are real close for me) and be back in bed around 1:00 - 1:30 (I have just started a new job and am not sure whether or not I will have to work the Friday after Thanksgiving).

So I'll probably go out, but I don't see any need for getting in line by 8:00 pm. There ae no specials that I particularly want or need.
Old 11-14-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of fool goes to B&M stores this day in age when you can camp out in your comfortable PJs on your computer and wait for Amazon's BF sale to go live?
Old 11-14-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
What kind of fool goes to B&M stores this day in age when you can camp out in your comfortable PJs on your computer and wait for Amazon's BF sale to go live?
1. It's fun. I enjoy the quiet time by myself (or if I can get a friend to come with me) and there is a lot of energy around that day.

2. I'm a Prime member and shop Amazon weekly, but they don't always have the equivalent deals.

3. I shop online almost exclusively these days, so it's my one time to go out for a good "hunt".

4. I am always at my relative's house and their computer setup doesn't make online shopping convenient (it's in the guest room and people sleep in there.)
Old 11-15-11, 08:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have never been to a "fun" Black Friday sale. Being in line at 4am then running through a store with hundreds of other people just doesn't fall under that category. With that being said, since the B&M stores are going to open at midnight this year, I may stop by Best Buy around 9 or 10 pm to see how the crowd is. If it doesn't look too crazy, I may give it a shot. But I usually take the route suggested by GreenVulture.
Old 11-15-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I have done most of my BF shopping online the last couple of years, unless there's something I can't match online. This year Best Buy has a TV that I want and I'm not sure it's going to be available online, so I'm probably going to camp out. I just don't know how early to go out. Draven, you'll have to keep me posted on what the line looks like at 8pm.
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have fun going to stores

There's never been any deal I thought was crazy enough to go wait in line for, but I like going during the day and picking up some misc movies or games that I didn't already try and pick up online.
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I have never been to a "fun" Black Friday sale. Being in line at 4am then running through a store with hundreds of other people just doesn't fall under that category. With that being said, since the B&M stores are going to open at midnight this year, I may stop by Best Buy around 9 or 10 pm to see how the crowd is. If it doesn't look too crazy, I may give it a shot. But I usually take the route suggested by GreenVulture.
See, I've done it forever and have never "run through a store". I am usually toward the front of the line and just calmly walk in and grab the 4 or 5 things I want. Out in 15 minutes with some good deals.

However, if Amazon matches specifically what I'm looking for, I'll skip it this year. But it's still a tradition that I enjoy.
Old 11-15-11, 01:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's cool, I do know that lots of people enjoy doing this, getting that rush. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times, and all in retrospect was not worth it. Of course, this was before the cyber sales going on at the same time, so maybe this year will be a little more calm. I can dream. I think I got every gift except for a couple from Amazon last year on BF.

Just curious though, how long do you get to the first store on BF?

Last edited by E Unit; 11-16-11 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That's cool, I do know that lots of people enjoy doing this, getting that rush. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times, and all in retrospect we not worth it. Of course, this was before the cyber sales going on at the same time, so maybe this year will be a little more calm. I can dream. I think I got every gift except for a couple from Amazon last year on BF.

Just curious though, how long do you get to the first store on BF?
I usually only go to one store (Best Buy) and occasionally swing by Target. It's the one day I can get a comparable deal to what I can get online along with the immediate satisfaction of taking a purchase home. Plus it's tradition at this point.

When the stores would open at 5, I'd get in line around 2:45 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I hate crowds of people, so black friday is never fun for me. I prefer to stay home, check deals online and watch tv.
Old 11-16-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to work BF weekend, so I kind of like the idea of stores opening up at 10pm or midnight on Thanksgiving, even though I feel sorry for the employees. Usually my GF and I will go to the movies on Thanksgiving night, this year we might check out a few stores instead.

Everything I want, I could just as well order online, but I think it'll be fun to check out the stores and see all the madness.
Old 11-16-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I have done Amazon almost exclusively for the Black Friday the last couple years, and we both swore we'd never do the B&M skirmish again, but the midnight openings seem to have really grabbed her attention, so is suspect I'll be out there this year.
Old 11-16-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've been doing all my Christmas shopping online for almost a decade now...do they even still have malls out there?
Old 11-16-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll probably head to Best Buy around 7 or 8PM because I'm hoping to get that $200 42" Sharp HDTV as well as a couple of blu-rays, mainly Green Lantern, Horrible Bosses and Crazy Stupid Love.

I've never actually went out on Black Friday to try and get a big ticket item but for those of you who have, do you think 7PM is early enough to get to BB to get the television?

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 11-17-11 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 08:21 PM
Banned

Right now, my only plan is to leave at 8pm Thanksgiving night to drive an hour to my closest Best Buy store for a few items. After I'm done at BB, I'll stop at Walmart on my way home. This'll be the first year I've ever shopped Best Buy on BF, I've only been to Walmart, Kmart, and Big Lots in the past.
Old 11-17-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad some people have fun going to the stores on BF, but if I had list of words to describe it, "fun" would be dead last. Freezing my ass off for 8 hours to be nearly trampled by a mindless stampede and then waiting 20 minutes in line to buy 1 item is not my idea of a good time.

But once I get that half price plasma home, then I start having fun.
Old 11-17-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My worst experience with Black Friday was 2000 when I went to Circuit City and the girl running the register, was a trainee all by herself. Occasionally she could flag someone down when she got stuck, which was often. We were in line for over an hour.
Old 11-17-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
I'll probably head to Best Buy around 7 or 8PM because I'm hoping to get that $200 42" Sharp HDTV as well as a couple of blu-rays, mainly Green Lantern, Horrible Bosses and Crazy Stupid Love.

I've never actually went out on Black Friday to try and get a big ticket item but for those of you who have, do you think 7PM is early enough to get to BB to get the television?
I doubt it. People generally start lining up 2-3 days prior for the big items.
Old 11-17-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll head out to a couple of places, but I haven't completely decided yet. I always skip Best Buy and WalMart to avoid the masses. I usually hit up Office Depot and Home Depot.
Old 11-17-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I hate the Black Friday crowds after I worked Retail for almost 4 years. That's one aspect of Retail I don't miss at all

I wasn't planning on going out, but there is some stuff I want and one of my best friends wants to get a group together to pick up stuff. Could be fun!
Old 11-17-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I doubt it. People generally start lining up 2-3 days prior for the big items.
Three days? That's freakin' crazy.
Old 11-17-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I am going to be playing Monopoly with my cousins while camping out on Amazon. We will all try to cheat as much as possible, as is tradition.
Old 11-17-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes.. some people are idiots.
Old 11-17-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the Occupiers have done it for 2 months, so I guess they'll have plenty of practice with the BF waiting...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.