Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-03-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New $3-$2-$1 Pricing Means More Choices for a Great Movie Night

BLOCKBUSTER Express will launch an easy, $3-$2-$1 pricing structure on November 8, 2011:

For the first 28 days, new releases on DVD (our Hot Movies) will be $3 plus applicable tax.
After 28 days, Recent Releases on DVD will be $2 plus applicable tax for the initial night.
After 90 days all movies on DVD will be $1 plus applicable tax for the initial night.

Hot Movies and Recent Releases carry our In-Stock Guarantee.

Additional nights are only $1 plus applicable tax - even for Hot Movies, Recent Releases and Blu-ray movies.

For movies on Blu-ray, simply add $1 plus applicable tax to the first night's rental charge.

With our $3-$2-$1 pricing structure, we are able to bring you the latest releases, with our In Stock Guarantee, as well as offer hundreds of movies for only $1.

When you want a new release, we've got the movie you're looking for. Our Hot Movies and Recent Releases carry our In-Stock Guarantee. So, if that movie is out of stock when you want it, you'll find instructions on the movie detail page on how to text us for a promo code for a discount off another rental.

Remember, we've still got hundreds of movies for $1. Sign-up for an online account at www.blockbusterexpress.com to get a $1 movie night on us.

Looking for more information? Visit blockbusterexpress.com for details and our FAQ.
I agree, higher prices mean more movies will be available since nobody will rent them.
Old 11-03-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

I always love reading how companies try to make charging you more sound like it's the greatest thing!
Old 11-03-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

So Blu-Ray new release rentals will be $4? Ha!
Old 11-03-11, 08:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

They have been charging $2.99/$3.99 for new release DVDs/Blu-rays for many months now. Main difference is that they went down to $1/$2 after 28 days. I take a look at the kiosks often as they are at the Randall's grocery store I visit. People are renting them for those prices since they are shown as sold out many times.
Old 11-03-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
They have been charging $2.99/$3.99 for new release DVDs/Blu-rays for many months now. Main difference is that they went down to $1/$2 after 28 days. I take a look at the kiosks often as they are at the Randall's grocery store I visit. People are renting them for those prices since they are shown as sold out many times.
The ones I've gone to have also been pretty much out of stock but I attributed that more to the quantity they put in the machines based on the fact that Redbox used to be only $1 but you could still find new stuff as well as older stuff.

For the Blockbuster machines, I'm talking maybe 2.5 pages of moves in stock and then 20 pages of stuff not in stock. I just don't believe it's a matter of popularity of new and old movies and higher prices that's making them all gone. This isn't some halfway smart company we're talking about, it's Blockbuster.
Old 11-03-11, 09:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The ones I've gone to have also been pretty much out of stock but I attributed that more to the quantity they put in the machines based on the fact that Redbox used to be only $1 but you could still find new stuff as well as older stuff.

For the Blockbuster machines, I'm talking maybe 2.5 pages of moves in stock and then 20 pages of stuff not in stock. I just don't believe it's a matter of popularity of new and old movies and higher prices that's making them all gone. This isn't some halfway smart company we're talking about, it's Blockbuster.
Actually, these machines are not owned by Blockbuster. NCR paid for the name before Dish bought Blockbuster. Dish Network wants them to stop using the name (Dish wants NCR to remove Blockbuster name from video rental kiosks) I believe the kiosks were called DVDPlay before the Blockbuster name and they were red like the Redboxes.

New releases can be frequently out of stock because many of these titles are not on Redbox or Netflix. People want to see the movie right away and pay $3 instead of waiting 28 days for Redbox.
Old 11-03-11, 09:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 637 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So Blu-Ray new release rentals will be $4? Ha!
I think I'll just wait 6 months and buy it for $4.
Old 11-04-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 964 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I agree, higher prices mean more movies will be available since nobody will rent them.
Originally Posted by reverie
I always love reading how companies try to make charging you more sound like it's the greatest thing!

I also like how they call it an "easy" plan, since everyone knows the exact date a title came out and when the 28-day window is over.
Old 11-04-11, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'll just wait 6 months and buy it for $4.
Same here.
Old 11-04-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't mind. These kiosks were killing the home video industry anyways.
Old 11-05-11, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I don't mind. These kiosks were killing the home video industry anyways.
No, that would be the greedy studios. Kiosks are not killing the industry. Perhaps people don't want to pay $20 for a crappy film?