Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Old 11-03-11, 06:34 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

New $3-$2-$1 Pricing Means More Choices for a Great Movie Night

BLOCKBUSTER Express will launch an easy, $3-$2-$1 pricing structure on November 8, 2011:

For the first 28 days, new releases on DVD (our Hot Movies) will be $3 plus applicable tax.
After 28 days, Recent Releases on DVD will be $2 plus applicable tax for the initial night.
After 90 days all movies on DVD will be $1 plus applicable tax for the initial night.

Hot Movies and Recent Releases carry our In-Stock Guarantee.

Additional nights are only $1 plus applicable tax - even for Hot Movies, Recent Releases and Blu-ray movies.

For movies on Blu-ray, simply add $1 plus applicable tax to the first night's rental charge.

With our $3-$2-$1 pricing structure, we are able to bring you the latest releases, with our In Stock Guarantee, as well as offer hundreds of movies for only $1.

When you want a new release, we've got the movie you're looking for. Our Hot Movies and Recent Releases carry our In-Stock Guarantee. So, if that movie is out of stock when you want it, you'll find instructions on the movie detail page on how to text us for a promo code for a discount off another rental.

Remember, we've still got hundreds of movies for $1. Sign-up for an online account at www.blockbusterexpress.com to get a $1 movie night on us.

Looking for more information? Visit blockbusterexpress.com for details and our FAQ.
I agree, higher prices mean more movies will be available since nobody will rent them.
Old 11-03-11, 06:42 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,543
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

I always love reading how companies try to make charging you more sound like it's the greatest thing!
Old 11-03-11, 07:40 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,389
Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

So Blu-Ray new release rentals will be $4? Ha!
Old 11-03-11, 08:16 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Texan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 955
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

They have been charging $2.99/$3.99 for new release DVDs/Blu-rays for many months now. Main difference is that they went down to $1/$2 after 28 days. I take a look at the kiosks often as they are at the Randall's grocery store I visit. People are renting them for those prices since they are shown as sold out many times.
Old 11-03-11, 09:18 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by Texan26
They have been charging $2.99/$3.99 for new release DVDs/Blu-rays for many months now. Main difference is that they went down to $1/$2 after 28 days. I take a look at the kiosks often as they are at the Randall's grocery store I visit. People are renting them for those prices since they are shown as sold out many times.
The ones I've gone to have also been pretty much out of stock but I attributed that more to the quantity they put in the machines based on the fact that Redbox used to be only $1 but you could still find new stuff as well as older stuff.

For the Blockbuster machines, I'm talking maybe 2.5 pages of moves in stock and then 20 pages of stuff not in stock. I just don't believe it's a matter of popularity of new and old movies and higher prices that's making them all gone. This isn't some halfway smart company we're talking about, it's Blockbuster.
Old 11-03-11, 09:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Texan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 955
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The ones I've gone to have also been pretty much out of stock but I attributed that more to the quantity they put in the machines based on the fact that Redbox used to be only $1 but you could still find new stuff as well as older stuff.

For the Blockbuster machines, I'm talking maybe 2.5 pages of moves in stock and then 20 pages of stuff not in stock. I just don't believe it's a matter of popularity of new and old movies and higher prices that's making them all gone. This isn't some halfway smart company we're talking about, it's Blockbuster.
Actually, these machines are not owned by Blockbuster. NCR paid for the name before Dish bought Blockbuster. Dish Network wants them to stop using the name (Dish wants NCR to remove Blockbuster name from video rental kiosks) I believe the kiosks were called DVDPlay before the Blockbuster name and they were red like the Redboxes.

New releases can be frequently out of stock because many of these titles are not on Redbox or Netflix. People want to see the movie right away and pay $3 instead of waiting 28 days for Redbox.
Old 11-03-11, 09:50 PM
  #7  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,793
Received 637 Likes on 425 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So Blu-Ray new release rentals will be $4? Ha!
I think I'll just wait 6 months and buy it for $4.
Old 11-04-11, 09:48 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,277
Received 964 Likes on 800 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I agree, higher prices mean more movies will be available since nobody will rent them.
Originally Posted by reverie
I always love reading how companies try to make charging you more sound like it's the greatest thing!


I also like how they call it an "easy" plan, since everyone knows the exact date a title came out and when the 28-day window is over.
Old 11-04-11, 03:10 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,683
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'll just wait 6 months and buy it for $4.
Same here.
Old 11-04-11, 09:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,710
Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

I don't mind. These kiosks were killing the home video industry anyways.
Old 11-05-11, 02:48 PM
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,779
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Express outdoes Redbox on rate increase

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I don't mind. These kiosks were killing the home video industry anyways.
No, that would be the greedy studios. Kiosks are not killing the industry. Perhaps people don't want to pay $20 for a crappy film?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.