Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Newbury Comics-No Future?!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-31-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just this received this email from Mike Dreese ceo and co-founder of Newbury Comics

Our Company is approaching a long awaited crossroads. Behind us is our storied past of bringing cutting edge music to a highly enthusiastic, and very loyal customer base.

When John and I opened our then tiny store front on Newbury Street in 1978, we had no idea the ride we were in for! Over the ensuing years, we built stores all across the region, worked with hundreds of the most interesting and creative people you could imagine, and in the process impacted the cultural perspective of New England.

We have sold over 90 million records, CDs and DVDs, had hundreds of artist in-store appearances and employed perhaps 2400 different people through the years.

We have out lived, out witted and out lasted The Coop, Strawberries, Lechmere, NE Music City, Tower Records, HMV, Popcorn, Good Vibrations, Virgin Megastore, Circuit City and now sadly, Borders. We are left competing at Brick and Mortar with the likes of Wal-Mart and Target, and what remains of Best Buy's and FYE's media offerings.

Looking forward, we can see we surely must morph, or slowly die. There simply isn't enough remaining customer demand to support more than a handful of our stores in a few years if we don't change our mixture of goods.

Many of you have continued to support us, even as your own music consumption has shifted to online options. All of you have noticed our not so subtle shift in emphasis from pure music, to music and DVD, to now at times an odd mixture of new and used CDs + DVDs, combined with an increasing amount of pop culture and fashion items.

We recently launched a new "hybrid" store in the South Shore Plaza in Braintree, moving our store from across the street. Yeah, I know, malls kinda suck sometimes. This store features way more fashion than we have ever presented. The results are very encouraging so far, with CD + DVD sales up, along with a very strong increase in other non media categories.

We have also built our web efforts to the point where they represent 25% of our total sales, mainly through eBay, Amazon, and Punk.com. These web sales help support our overall cost structure, and may be a potential future path for the entire company.

We are right now in the process of building another hybrid superstore in the Natick Mall. The next 6 months will be critical in determining whether we have a brick and mortar store concept which will survive the steady decline in CD + DVD sales we are now experiencing in all of our other locations.

I know we can't turn back the clock, and I know we have to change dramatically over the next 3 years. The question is - What to do?! I always say the 3 most important words in business are "I don't know!" Here's to hoping we can figure it out.

I would very much appreciate it if you could provide us with some feedback on our future.

mike dreese
ceo and co-founder
Old 11-05-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Newbury Comics-No Future?!

I'm surprised they're still around at all - they were my major music source when I was growing up in the pre-Internet era, but their prices are a joke compared to Amazon. I bought a few of the 50% off gift cards a couple of years ago, but even at 50% off their prices were still above Amazon's! I ended up having to sell the GCs to a co-worker, otherwise they would have just gathered dust on my shelf.
Old 11-05-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm surprised they're still around at all - they were my major music source when I was growing up in the pre-Internet era, but their prices are a joke compared to Amazon. I bought a few of the 50% off gift cards a couple of years ago, but even at 50% off their prices were still above Amazon's! I ended up having to sell the GCs to a co-worker, otherwise they would have just gathered dust on my shelf.
Depends on what you're buying. Lots of stuff I buy from the marketplace ends up being these guys because they're the cheapest there and much more than Amazon.
Old 11-09-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchase a lot from them via Amazon sellers. Great service.
Old 11-09-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Yeah, their biggest problem is that they never run a Sale !....they really need to have weekly store wide sales like second spin does. Like 20/30% off Cd's /DVD's.

I remember back when they always had a 20% off coupon on the back of the Calendar magazine in the Boston Globe every Thursday. I suppose back then they were competing hard with Tower,now that all their competition has dried up,so has most of their sales.
Old 11-09-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 837 Likes on 617 Posts

It'd be a sad day if Newbury Comics was no longer around. I don't buy much physical music or movies any more but I shop a the local NC when I do; even if it is a few dollars more expensive. I'll support them till their doors close.