Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's questionable shipping tactics?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-06-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Ordered a dvd for my dad. He lives in Tennessee. It was shipped (First class)from Coffeyville,KS last Wednesday and somehow got to Hebron ,KY. My dad is about 225 miles from there. So the package doesn't go to Tennessee(where it should have been shipped to begin with) but goes all the way to Atlanta,GA. and hasn't been heard from since July 2nd. First of all, if it shipped from KS,shouldn't take no more than three days to arrive in TN but its far from it. I just shake my head,trying to figure out why they do the things they do because it seems like more work for them rather than ship from original location and not have to worry about it. If he doesn't receive it after tomorrow,will call for a refund.
Old 07-06-11, 07:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Amazon's questionable shipping tactics?

Are you blaming Amazon for the Post Office mis-sending it somewhere?
Old 07-06-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon hand delivers packages now, by mule.
Old 07-06-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RonG617
Are you blaming Amazon for the Post Office mis-sending it somewhere?
Why would a package only take one day to go from KS to KY.?Ain't going to happen,especially when its first class. I think Amazon must put it on their own truck and makes deliveries to other fulfillment centers. A package going from KS to TN should go to TN,not KY or GA. The USPS number one customer is probably Amazon,so why they fool around and don't have better shipping methods is beyond me. I've gotten packages that were shipped from Delaware and have gone to KY from there. That proves that they are shipping to their fulfillment centers rather than their customers,delaying the shipments even longer.
Old 07-06-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

You seem to be forgetting that, in this case, there was a federal holiday earlier in the week. I'm sure that's not helping things any.
Old 07-06-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It shouldn't take 5 days to go from Atlanta GA. to Knoxville,TN.(Holidays included).
Old 07-06-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
It shouldn't take 5 days to go from Atlanta GA. to Knoxville,TN.(Holidays included).
Irregardless. Your original post said that it hadn't been heard from since July 2nd. Today was only the second day that there has been any sort of mail movement since the 2nd. They're behind...it's going to take a few days to get everything squared away. Your anger with Amazon is misdirected. This seems solely like a problem with the USPS.

If I'm not mistaken, this isn't the first complaint you've had about Amazon shipping. Maybe you should either just spring for a Prime membership or stop ordering from them completely.
Old 07-06-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
A package going from KS to TN should go to TN,not KY or GA.
Apparently you don't know how shipping hubs work.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Your original post said that it hadn't been heard from since July 2nd. Today was only the second day that there has been any sort of mail movement since the 2nd. They're behind...it's going to take a few days to get everything squared away. Your anger with Amazon is misdirected. This seems solely like a problem with the USPS.
Exactly. After July 2 there was a Sunday and a federal holiday, so that's two days of no movement.
Old 07-06-11, 10:55 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I heart prime.
Old 07-06-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Apparently you don't know how shipping hubs work.
What's a shipping hub?

I'm pretty sure that every package they sent out is entrusted in the care of a single postal worker who travels via jetpack in a straight line from Amazon.com to the delivery address. Pretty sure.

I love what an epic fail this thread is. The best part is that the guy clearly used the cheapest/free shipping which is basically him as a customer saying "I don't care when I get it as long as I get it this year".

As a Prime member I'm frequently amazed when the UPS man drops something off on my porch that I ordered less than 24 hours earlier.

One thing's for sure: these delivery couriers certainly make mistakes but the mistakes are rare and chances are when you track a package its doing exactly what its supposed to be doing, and these couriers have spent years and millions of dollars coming up with their methods and as such they certainly know more about what they're doing than you do.
Old 07-07-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe providing tracking numbers in the first place wasn't such a good idea.
Old 07-07-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
As a Prime member I'm frequently amazed when the UPS man drops something off on my porch that I ordered less than 24 hours earlier.
I think I had something like an 18 hour order to door shipment with Prime, not even upgrading to overnight. Never will I complain about Amazon's shipments
Old 07-07-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Amazon hand delivers packages now, by mule.
And by mule he means drug mule. So you have to factor in time to remove heroin balloons from the delivery person's anus at various drug drops and distribution hubs. If they are using South Americans for this purpose, it is known that they can keister quite a lot of smack, so allow an extra shipping day.