Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Shipping Amazon order to APO

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

About a week ago I found the out of print DVD of The Pirate Movie at a thrift store for $1. I get home, enter it into DVDAf and see it's lowest price is $42. So I throw my copy up on Amazon for $39.98 and it actually sold a few days later. So I packaged it up and printed the label out and it turns out it's an APO address. Has anyone here dealt with APO addresses selling through Amazon marketplace? I've heard it takes like a month for it to actually get to the person and if it gets damaged or lost once it's heading overseas you're screwed. I'm really happy that it sold for $39 more than I paid for it, but this just seems like a colossal pain in the ass to deal with. But if I refund them and try to relist it I doubt it would sell for the same price, plus that seems like kind of a dick move on my part.

Anyone with experience with this please let me know how it went. Also, is it going to cost me any more money? I know I have to fill out a customs form, but I can't tell if it will cost more.
Old 05-15-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Shipping Amazon order to APO

It shouldn't cost any more since it is considered as going to a US address.
Old 05-16-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 152 Posts

I've shipped to APO/FPO addresses before with no problem. It costs the same as it would if you shipped to another state.

Only downside is that USPS Delivery Confirmation is pretty much useless since it only confirms that the package reached the first drop-off point. It might still have a long way to go until it actually reaches the military personnel it's being sent to. So if the buyer claims they never received the package, you pretty much have to take their word for it.

The only way to fully protect yourself in case of damage or loss would be to buy insurance for the package. So in that respect, it might end up costing you more than normal.
Old 05-16-11, 01:35 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ship to them all the time via Amazon Marketplace never once had a problem, you just have to fill out a customs form, which they stamp and can be proof you mailed it (probably wont hold up if they claim they didn't get it though)