Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 494 Likes on 338 Posts
Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

I can't think of any e-commerce sites offhand where they have a mechanism for you to delete your own account.
Old 05-13-13, 05:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I ordered an item that was on backorder and got charged for it the day of the order. They tried to tell me that it wasn't a charge for the item, it was a "pre-authorization". And the refund of it after the order was cancelled is going to take at least 5 business days.

I'm not happy with the way DD does business.
Old 05-14-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by X
I ordered an item that was on backorder and got charged for it the day of the order. They tried to tell me that it wasn't a charge for the item, it was a "pre-authorization". And the refund of it after the order was cancelled is going to take at least 5 business days.

I'm not happy with the way DD does business.
I found that if you use Google Wallet, or whatever their online payment thing is, that you get charged when you do the order. Naturally my order was something they said was in stock until I tried to order it and a couple months had passed. Oh but it's ok because they were really sure that if I waited, they'd really get a shipment of that OOP item.
Old 09-01-13, 05:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 260 Posts

Got another one of those "We've missed you! Get $5 Off with coupon inside" emails, it expired last night. Went there last night (last chance) to see if I could use it on an item in my Wish List, it took ALL EVENING to get Deep Discount's checkout process to function properly but apparently perseverance pays off. I actually got to make the order, got a confirmation email, now it's just the waiting game. 'Course it was only actually $3.01 Off after the $1.99 shipping charge, didn't feel like spending $25 there.

My god what a PITA, just call me Glutton for Punishment.
Old 10-02-13, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently made my first DD purchase in over a year, and had no trouble--two volumes of the French version of Maigret. Not exactly cheap, but a better deal than usual. I tend to rag on DD most of the time, so in fairness wanted to report a good experience.
Old 10-02-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 778 Likes on 470 Posts

I will never order from DDD again, even if my very life depended on it. I had to get AMEX to whip their conniving asses in line after they tried to screw me for a $120 order, one that was cancelled weeks before ship date and never even shipped in the first place -- but they still charged me.

After I produced a mountain of evidence to the contrary -- my original email, their acknowledgement that the order was canceled, their invoice (with no tracking number) for the $120 purchase, and my credit card statement... they basically accused me of trying to screw them out of money. I initiated a chargeback, sent AMEX all of my evidence, and the charge was reversed within 48 hours.

Fuck 'em. Never getting a cent of my business again. Caveat emptor...
Old 10-02-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 927 Likes on 782 Posts

Deep Discount is fine to order from if nothing goes wrong with the order. God help you if a mistake occurs or they screw up. They don't seem to have accounted for in their business model that sometimes things go wrong. They are ill-prepared to handle unusual problems or situations.
Old 01-30-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Full House boxset as a Christmas gift on Dec. 1st through DDD. A few days went by and I realized that I had never gotten a confirmation for my order, although my PayPal account was charged.

I went back onto the site and saw that my order was 'backordered', with an expected ship date of 12/17. Not a big deal. 12/17 came around, and my order was still backordered, now with no expected date, so I reordered the item somewhere else, and sent a request to cancel and get my money refunded. I got an email a few days later telling me that my order was cancelled per my request and I'd have my money back in a few days.

Never got my money back, and today, a Full House boxset showed up to my door (don't need it now, 2 months later). Went onto my DDD account, and saw that even though my first order was canceled, they apparently took it upon themselves to reorder a second set for me.

Fucking idiots. Now I have to deal with returning this one and actually getting my money back.

I'd avoid these clowns. The only reason that I had ordered from them in the first place is because my usual suspects didn't have it in stock.
Old 01-31-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How the mighty have fallen.

I keep getting their email spam even though I've unsubscribed countless times. What the hell happened to them?
Old 02-17-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still...waiting...for...my...money...back.

It's now been a month and a half.
Old 02-17-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you call your CC company and ask for a chargeback? Assuming you used a CC through paypal.
Old 02-17-14, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just another reason to do all your online purchases with a CC. Say what you want about AMEX, but when you initiate a chargeback and produce your documentation, they mercilessly DESTROY the wretched fuckers who tried to screw you over. Like Deep Discount. FEH.
Old 02-17-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think using Paypal at Deepdiscount is a recipe asking for danger. These companies like Deepdiscount have utterly no power over Visa and the other credit card companies.
Old 04-17-14, 01:05 PM

I made my first ever order from them yesterday evening, seasons 3 and 4 of "The Beverly Hillbillies", because they were cheaper than what Amazon is charging for them.

Got an email this morning saying my order has shipped. Faster than I expected, since I picked "standard shipping".
Old 08-17-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't made a purchase with Discount in years. I saw a cheap copy of Raging Bull and ordered it via their Amazon profile. I looked at the tracking number on the 15th and it says "Undeliverable as Addressed." As far as I can recall, this is the first time USPS has ever told me that. Amazon doesn't know where it is; USPS doesn't know where it is; Deep Discount doesn't know where it is and they keep on telling me to contact them if it hasn't arrived until the 24th. What a pain!

Edit: Got my copy on the 19th. The address on the label was fine so I'm guessing this is the USPS' fault. I believe they updated the status by mistake.

Last edited by EinCB; 08-24-16 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 06:20 AM

If this is the old Deep Discount DVD Store under new ownership then they have changed and not for the better i would add. I used to order from them all the time when they were based in Connecticut i believe . I have ordered from them both Nationally and Internationally and under the old name ( if it is the same company ), they were great. Now, i had to phone the other day and their customer service knows basically nothing about my order and one of the people were extremely rude to me. I tried to cancel my order because of their inability to give me information on my order and how rude their customer service was. They wouldn't cancel it and i honestly do not expect to ever receive the order . They seem to be so rude and incompetent from my experience with them on the phone. . If this is Deep Discount DVD taken over then they can keep their dvd's because i shan't be ordering from them again . Utterly useless and rude to boot. Plenty of *other* businesses out there who are more competent and better mannered to purchase from .
Old 06-20-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts

I haven't had a problem with them and I say this as using them years ago and using them recently. I had them cancel an order and it was cancelled same day I contacted them (I didn't call but emailed them). My order was close to being shipped so I caught it in time. I would always consider them a viable option. Sorry they don't seem to work with you.
Old 06-20-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a decade and I wouldn't order from DDD if I was on fire and they were the only ones available to rapidly ship the extinguishing joys of pee.
Old 06-21-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Through the years, I've used Deep Discount DVD and I've not had any problems ordering or receiving items from the company. In fact, Deep Discount DVD has been relatively quick in getting my orders shipped out and delivered.
Old 06-22-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 761 Likes on 551 Posts

I've only had a couple of issues with them since Allied Alliance purchased them. On one they cancelled part of an order (it was all showing in stock when I placed the order) causing it to drop below the free shipping minimum and then charged me shipping. It took *many* emails back and forth and threatening to dispute the charge with my CC company before they relented and credited back the shipping charge. I argued that had *I* cancelled the item causing the total to drop below the free shipping minimum then, yes, they'd be right to charge shipping but since *they* cancelled it then I should have either been given the opportunity to cancel the entire order (I was not) or they should ship non-cancelled items free of charge. It took me telling them "Well... let's just see what my CC company has to say." before they relented.

The other was a price that'd dropped on a pre-order by the time it shipped and they wouldn't lower what I was charged to the current in-stock price. I didn't argue as it was only a couple of $$ but I learned my lesson and now will not pre-order anything from them. I also no longer include any "back order" or "Special order" item as they've caused me issues.

Otherwise - no issues and fairly quick shipping for in-stock items.
Old 06-22-22, 06:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

For what it's worth, I just got an order from them last night. I got 4 Seinfeld Funco's & a Frank Lloyd Wright puzzle set from their "collectible" clearance sale & a Dr. Feelgood CD. No issues at all.
Old 06-23-22, 12:11 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They actually improved lately. I received paypal refunds for cancelled items without having to email them like in past years.
Old 06-23-22, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts

I haven't had any major issues that you wouldn't expect from any other retailer. Biggest downside is preorders never ship early and their shipping is still pretty slow, meaning you might not get a new release until a week after release.
Old 06-25-22, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Deepdiscount is fairly reliable as an Internet seller if nothing in your order goes wrong and you don't need to cancel/return something. Contacting them isn't always easy. Their systems are almost consciously designed to be unchangeable once an order is made.
Old 06-25-22, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Deepdiscount is fairly reliable as an Internet seller if nothing in your order goes wrong and you don't need to cancel/return something. Contacting them isn't always easy. Their systems are almost consciously designed to be unchangeable once an order is made.
Then please explain how they cancelled my order within a day of sending them an email. Unchangeable, my ass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.