Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

I've had VERY good luck with them lately, and quick shipping too. They had a lot of Warner Archive selections at $12 and some change and I received them in less than a week after ordering.
Old 08-17-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly shipping related, but I can't seem to remove myself from their semi-weekly e-mail list. I've tried several times (as early as several weeks ago, since it takes up to 10 days) but I'm still getting them.
Old 08-17-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Since ImportCDs took them over, service has noticeably improved. Items still take forever to be delivered, but packaging is better. Of course the prices have been raised on most items, so they really aren't much of a discount place anymore.
Old 08-17-11, 06:18 PM

I keep getting e mail ads from DD but toss most of them straight in the trash. The "sales" are just depressing in terms of selection and price. But then Amazon has been no great shakes either this year.
Old 08-18-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice DD has become like Amazon in terms of stock market pricing, rising and falling and you have to monitor when the best time to buy is, if you are a cheap bastard like i am and want the "best price".
Old 08-19-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Just ordered (2) blu-rays and (1) dvd from Deep Discount because they were considerably cheaper than Amazon. Don't know why Amazon only gives certain releases a 5 percent discount when more than likely it will be cheaper,elsewhere.
Old 08-21-11, 11:55 AM

DD just sent out a $10 off coupon a couple days ago. Only good deal they have had going since the last coupon early in the summer, IMO. Anyway, guess what: My shopping cart won't accept any of the items I try to put into it. Way to go DD! Sigh, I'll try again in a few days.
Old 08-25-11, 06:39 AM

I used my $10 off coupon back on the 23rd, used Google Checkout since the normal checkout was not working, got no shipping confirmation so I have no idea what is going. Already charged my card though. If it doesn't arrive by early next week (Tues or Weds). I hope it actually shipped the 23rd and will arrive on Fri/Sat.

My last order was beautifully done by them and I had a lot of praise for them as a result. Shipped out and arrived within 4 days with no issues whatsoever, so this huge drop in quality is disappointing. Although its still showing the order as open in their system but I got everything and there were no extra charges so no problems yet now.
Old 09-02-11, 04:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Got a $10 coupon on Aug 18th or 19th to use on items in my Wish List, used it on the 20th to buy the 2-Disc Collector's Editions of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, both listed as In Stock, both had an estimated shipping time of between 5-10 business days. Here it is, the 10th business day, no DVDs. So I called them, only to be told they have a Release Date of 09-13...??? These DVDs have release dates of 1992 and 1997 respectively.

OK, if they are being re-released, why did Deep Discount say they were in stock and ready to ship, and why did the account information state a shipping time of from 5 to 10 business days? If they are being held up for some reason, why wasn't that information readily available on the product page? I see it now in little tiny print, in with a bunch of other little tiny print, I don't know if it was there when I ordered these because it wasn't right there in my face telling me these wouldn't be available until 09-13.

If these are re-releases where the manufacturer cheaped out on the packaging and turned these Collector's Editions into crap, I'm sending them back, demanding a full refund, and buying them elsewhere, where I know I'll get editions that match my Collector's Editions of Alien and Aliens.

Damn, Deep Discount pisses me off... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 09-03-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 07:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Re: the above post, got an email from them on the 9th notifying me these had shipped. Okay.....but I thought they said they weren't allowed to release them until 09/13? What the hell's going on at Deep Discount? And what are these going to turn out to be, that they were re-released? Cheap imitations? I hope not. -kd5-
Old 09-13-11, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's the 13th, the tracking number DD gave me is to DHL and they have yet to acknowledge the existence of this shipment (after 4 days). One more week and it will be a month since I ordered these... -kd5-
Old 09-19-11, 10:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

One day shy of a month later my Alien 3/Alien: Resurrection Collector's Editions DVDs finally arrived, the same releases as have been widely available from every retailer that still has them (no new cheaped out releases as I feared), no reason in the world why the manufacturer might have postponed release dates on these, and as I suspected, a complete fabrication by Deep Discount. An entire month to get these to me... -kd5-
Old 09-19-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
There are a few Tokyopop titles I'm trying to pick up while I still can. Amazon already lists them as out-of-print, so I decided to try DD for the first time in about year. They had everything I was looking for at decent prices, so I placed the order. Half of it showed up within a few days, but two weeks later I'm still waiting for the rest. To add to my frustration, the order page lists the whole thing as "open," even the items I've already received, so I have no way of knowing if the other stuff as shipped or not.
Four months later and I still have three outstanding items from this order. In one case, the title popped up in the Right Stuf's bargain bin last month, I ordered it and already received the package. (I haven't canceled the DD order since even if it does eventually ship, the book is OOP and fetching high prices on Amazon.)
Old 09-21-11, 05:35 PM

My Dvdplanet.com account shows the Star Wars Blu-ray was shipped on September 11, 201

My Dvdplanet.com account shows the Star Wars Blu-ray was shipped on September 11, 2011.

My package was finally arrived on Tuesday, September 20. Unfortunately, I did find two small dents on the Blu-ray’s outer case. It looks very much all right and I don’t believe there is enough reason to return it.

The package was shipped from Itasca IL 60143, near Chicago Area. And I live near Seattle WA.

It’s still a good enough deal for me. Since Washington State is where Amazon.com office located, if I purchase from them I would have paid $79.99 + TAX = $87.79
So my total saving is $22.75
Old 09-27-11, 06:15 PM

I recently tried to cancel an order (five days before the title's release) and they wouldn't let me. When it arrived, I sent it back "return to sender". It has been several weeks and they claim that they never received the return and refuse to issue me a credit. I told them I would initiate a chargeback on my credit card and they told me that if I did they would never ship to me again. Fine with me. This is no way to keep long time customers.
Old 09-29-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered Willy Wonka on BD for about $15.82 from them a month and a half ago. I knew it was "out of print" but I figured they might have a few on hand anyway. To my surprise, they shipped it a few days later! However, when I got the item, it was a Region B blu-ray. Not a big deal to some, but I prefer to keep mine USA, at least for consistency in artwork. I returned it.

They got the BD and reshipped it, charging me $22.77, and when I got it, it was the Region B version again. I returned it.

A month later--two days ago--they finally got it and wrote me an email, telling me they refunded my money: $15.82. I wrote back and argued that I was owed another $6.95 and, after a brief email exchange, they finally they told me to show them proof with a bank statement. I did. Shortly after, they wrote me back and said, "We reviewed the information you sent and determined you are not due any more money."

I filed a claim with Paypal.
Old 10-08-11, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ That's terrible. Hope it worked out for you. It seems strange for them to be sending Region B titles out to customers. Was that even noted on the product page?

Thankfully, I haven't had any issues since they switched owners. I don't buy much from them anymore, but there has been quick turnaround on the couple orders I have placed.
Old 10-27-11, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kd5
Well, it's the 13th, the tracking number DD gave me is to DHL and they have yet to acknowledge the existence of this shipment (after 4 days). One more week and it will be a month since I ordered these... -kd5-
Christ. They're using DHL now!? From bad to worse. I always opted for proper shipping on large orders anyway, but still. I ordered from Frys.coma few times years ago and their shipping with DHL rocked. DHL is apparently losing and bouncing everything shipped to the US from French and UK Amazon warehouses now though.

Seems like there's hardly any reason to order any place but Amazon at this point. Their free shipping shit is still a little slow sometimes for my taste, but everything comes USPS and actually shows up.
Old 10-27-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I preordered the Frankenhooker blu-ray from them for like $10 when they had the last $5 coupon. I was excited when they shipped it on 10/13, which is nearly a month early. 2 weeks later, nothing. I checked the tracking number from the email, and according to the DHL tracking number they dropped it off at the post office back on the 15th. When I asked the post office (there's only one where I live) they said it would've been delivered on the same day DHL dropped it off. So now I have to wait 1 more day for it to be 15 days so DD will ship out another one. So it went from getting a preorder a month early to me probably not getting it until after the release date. Not a big deal, a $10 order of something I've seen several times, but it's still annoying since it's like $23 on Amazon.

I also ordered The Dorm That Dripped Blood the same day, which, I think had a "ships in 5-10 days" notice. Now you can't even find that title on their site without using Google to locate it, and when you do it says Unavailable like the thing is out of print or something.
Old 02-08-12, 04:39 PM

Re: Deep Discount DVD return

Originally Posted by Vermiknid
I recently tried to cancel an order (five days before the title's release) and they wouldn't let me. When it arrived, I sent it back "return to sender". It has been several weeks and they claim that they never received the return and refuse to issue me a credit. I told them I would initiate a chargeback on my credit card and they told me that if I did they would never ship to me again. Fine with me. This is no way to keep long time customers.
I just experienced this as well. Marked the package "return to sender" and Deep Discount claims they never received it. No credit for a $57+ purchase. Apparently everything that gets returned this way is mysteriously "lost in the mail".
Old 02-10-12, 08:39 AM

I tried cancelling an order 30 minutes after placing it, because I had placed a bigger replacement order in order to save on shipping. They never let me cancel.

The first shipment arrived damaged, so I called them. They issued me a refund and told me that since I'm in Canada and the order was under X amount (I don't remember the amount) I didn't have to return the items.
Old 02-11-12, 02:41 PM

I have ordered hundreds of items from them over the years, and have never had a bit of trouble from them. About 5 days ago I ordered the Shameless blu-ray from them and it arrived today in perfect condition via USPS. The price was the best around too.
Maybe I have just been lucky but will continue to order from them.
Old 02-28-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had issues with them in the past and in fact the one time I did have an issue, it ended up being way in my favor. Right now I have 9 open orders but ignore 3 of those since they were from yesterday. The earliest ones go back to the 7th.

The first issue that came up was an order I placed a couple weekends ago for 27 DVDs. Almost immediately I get an email back saying that the items listed were not coming back in stock, even though the site said they were in stock when I ordered them. Problem was, the email didn't list anything. I reply back and they say all but one DVD will be shipped.

This leads me to worry about my other 6 orders and so I shoot an email about those. They say they don't have records of any of them, so I have to send them the order confirmations or details of what I sent. I find out I didn't get confirmations for 3 of them and send them details on all 6. That was yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back.

I already replaced some of the items through amazon but I don't expect any of these other orders to go through. If they do, that's cool since the price was cheap but I'm not holding my breath.

The only time I seem to not have problems lately with them is if I order stuff they're having a sale on. Anything else is a gamble.
Old 03-31-12, 11:23 AM

I would urge forum members not to use their services,
unless they're fond of receiving spam, sometimes multiple
messages in a day.

I've requested on 3 separate occasions to be removed from
their spam list, to no avail thus far.
Old 03-31-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I would recommend not listening to expatcanuck. Deep discount has been much better the last few years with shipping. I never had a problem myself

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.